NFL compensatory picks

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by hiker, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

The list, fresh from PFT

3 (33-97) New England

3 (34-98) Cincinnati

3 (35-99) Chicago

3 (36-100) NY Giants

4 (33-133) San Diego

4 (34-134) San Diego

4 (35-135) Tennessee

4 (36-136) Indianapolis

5 (33-169) Pittsburgh

5 (34-170) New England

5 (35-171) San Francisco

5 (36-172) Dallas

5 (37-173) Tennessee

6 (33-206) Tennessee

6 (34-207) New England

6 (35-2080 Dallas

6 (36-209) Cincinnati

7 (33-242) Tennessee

7 (34-243) Washington

7 (35-244) San Francisco

7 (36-245) Seattle

7 (37-246) Chicago

7 (38-247) Seattle

7 (39-248) Seattle

7 (40-249) Cincinnati

7 (41-250) Jacksonville

7 (42-251) Chicago

7 (43-252) Cincinnati

7 (44-253) Jacksonville

7 (45-254) Arizona

7 (46-255) Detroit

7 (47-256) Kansas City

My first though: holy fucking hell, what is this bullshit?! New England with an extra 3rd, 5th, and 6th! You've got to be kidding me! Other than that Scott Zolak wannabee they shipped to KC, they lost what...Lamont Jordan? Come on, that's bullshit! :mad:

motherf*ckers.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

ugh...when will Goodell get off Belichick's nards.

3. ........

........ Trolls

I guarantee that 3rd has Asante Samuel's name written on it. Compensatory picks are awarded for free agents from the previous season.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

New England always has good comp picks, because they refuse to overpay their role-players and let them go get overpaid to start for other teams. The Jets don't do that. We overpay our role-players and they end up stocking shelves 2 years later.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

So what you're telling me is, they could get a first next year? I think my head would explode.

6. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

what about chad pennington? He was comeback player of the year. What did Samuel do?

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

no. Who are you talking about? Cassell was traded.

You get comp picks if you lose to other teams more than you sign from other teams. The value of the players you lost (based on contract, playing time, etc.) is then assessed. A top player like Samuel is generally worth a pick at the end of the third round.

8. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Chad Pennington was released and didn't get a big contract.

Asante Samuel left via free agency and got a big contract.

9. ........

........ Trolls

No. You don't get awarded for players in trades. I'm not sure who they've lost this season in FA that would merit a pick, but I'm pretty sure one of the lower ones was for Donte Stallworth getting overpaid when he left the team.

10. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats right. I've got my mind on other shit tonight, and I'm already pissed. Sorry for the mixup.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Compensatory picks are only for after rounds 3 through 7.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Haha, you beat me to both, but I didn't notice until after the previous post.

Even if Chad had been a signing, I doubt we'd get any compensation. We had those two big signings last season.

13. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

how many fukin picks do they have? holy shet

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The 3rd rounder has to be for Samuel.
    As for the 5th and 6th rounders, one is likely for Stallworth and the other for Randall Gay.

#14 Cakes, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I sometimes wonder if milking the compensatory pick system is the way to go. It seems like this is a little talked about way to greatly improve your team. So NE gets a 3rd round pick for losing Asante Samuel? Given how high a salary he wanted they are prolly a better team in the long run due to losing him.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Cincinnati got four compensatory picks. Through free agency last year they lost Justin Smith, Bryan Robinson, Madieu Williams, Alex Stepanovich, and Landon Johnson.

Chicago's 3rd round compensatory pick is for the loss of Bernard Berrian.

The Giants 3rd round compensatory pick is probably for Kawika Mitchell. The Gibril Wilson-Sammy Knight moves were likely considered a wash.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

third for samuel, 5th for stallworth, sixth for Gay

They got the third for Smith, a sixth for Landon Johnson, and two sevenths. One for Bryan Robinson and one for Madieu Williams, I'd guess.

Yep.

It's for Gibril Wilson, who got a much bigger contract than Mitchell did. Mitchell wouldn't warrant even a 4th.

The Chargers got two fourths. One for Michael Turner and one for Drayton Florence.

Tennessee got the fourth and fifth for Antwan Odom and Travis LaBoy, the two DEs they let go.

Indianapolis got a fourth for Jake Scott.

I'm not sure why Pittsburgh only got a 5th. Shouldn't they get a 3rd for the Faneca signing? Faneca played in almost all the snaps, made the Pro Bowl, and got a huge contract. Maybe there's a Super Bowl penalty. :smile:

#17 Yisman, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You might be correct. As I'm sure you know, the awarding of compensatory selections is based on a secret formula which takes into account salary, games played, and performance to some degree (it seems that if a guy makes the Pro Bowl, the team that lost him via free agency will get a good comp pick the next year).

I bet they only got a 5th because of the performance they received from Mewelde Moore. I don't believe Moore got a big contract, but he did have a good season on the field. This is where that secret formula comes into play.

19. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

This is very interesting. Given we seem to sign more than we lose each year, we probably won't qualify. But hypothetically, who might we get picks for next season if in fact they play all year and kick ass? Would Eric Barton qualify if he turned into Dick Butkus II and all our FA guys sucked ass? Could happen.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

The formula is secret but the factors are known.

They are salary and playing time with the new team (% of snaps). Bonus if the player gets named to the Pro Bowl or wins MVP, etc.

So it's not terribly hard to roughly project what each team will get. There's a guy that does it every year, I think. Adam something.

Based on that, it really makes no sense that the Steelers didn't get more.

"I'm not sure why Pittsburgh only got a 5th. Shouldn't they get a 3rd for the Faneca signing? Faneca played in almost all the snaps, made the Pro Bowl, and got a huge contract. Maybe there's a Super Bowl penalty.
    I bet they only got a 5th because of the performance they received from Mewelde Moore. I don't believe Moore got a big contract, but he did have a good season on the field. This is where that secret formula comes into play."

It typically involves playing time, not performance. Moore did not get a huge amount of playing time (contrast with Faneca) and did not make the Pro Bowl (again contrast with Faneca).

I don't think Moore is the reason.

I'm sure we'll find out eventually because the Pitt media is not too pleased with this.

If the Jets lost Faneca, this forum would've exploded twice: once when we let him get away and once when we only got a 5th rounder.

Faneca and Samuel appeared to be 3rd round locks.