NFL 2007 Preseason Preview: NY Jets vs Minnesota Vikings

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by PMCRW, Aug 16, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

NFL Preseason Preview - Minnesota (0-1) at N.Y. Jets (1-0)

By Tony Moss, Sports Network - The Sports Network

The New York Jets will be trying to build on an impressive performance in their preseason opener on Friday night, when Eric Mangini's squad plays host to the Minnesota Vikings in the second August tune-up for both clubs.

The Jets were 31-16 winners over Atlanta in their preseason debut last Friday, with three of the team's four touchdowns coming on scoring passes from second- year quarterback Kellen Clemens. The club's first TD of the game was scored by offseason acquisition and running back Thomas Jones, who suffered a calf strain in practice the following day and could miss the remainder of the preseason.

Friday could mark the first Jets appearance of cornerback Darrelle Revis, who became the second-to-last 2007 draft pick to ink a contract when he signed on Wednesday. Revis, the No. 14 overall selection out of the University of Pittsburgh, is expected to bolster a Jets secondary that struggled at time during the 2006 campaign.

Minnesota head coach Brad Childress, meanwhile, will be looking for stronger play out of his offense than was displayed in last Friday's 13-10 home loss to the St. Louis Rams.

Quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson (8-of-11 passing, 83 yards) and Brooks Bollinger (4-of-6, 23 yards), who are fighting for the starting job, both did some good things but could not execute a touchdown drive in the loss. Minnesota's only TD in the game came on an interception return by linebacker Dontarrious Thomas.

Bollinger will be returning to the Meadowlands for the first time since the 2005 season, when he started nine games (going 2-7) for a New York team that finished 4-12. Bollinger was obtained by the Vikings in a trade from the Jets last September.

On the injury front, in addition to Thomas Jones, Minnesota defensive end Erasmus James (knee) is among the notables who will not appear on Friday.

The Jets are 4-1 in the all-time preseason series with the Vikings, extending their advantage with a 28-21 victory when the teams last met, prior to the 2005 season.

The teams also met in Week 15 of the 2006 regular season, with the Jets traveling to Minnesota and scoring a 26-13 win.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/football/story/181302.html

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Brooksy is competing for the #1 spot eh? Has he got a lot better or is Minnesota in that bad shape?

3. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

i'm sure it s the later...

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

If it is a toss up between him and Tavaris Jackson, I'd hace to say it's that bad...

#4 Mehl-56, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  5. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

That team is set on getting the #1 pick in the draft next year unless they manage to pickup a Kelly Holcumb, Mark Brunell or Kurt Warner type guy who can manage to win a few more games.

6. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

he best be playin'.. :up:

I watched a couple Vikings games last year and i don't think Tarvaris looked that bad.. especially for his first year.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Troy Williamson certainly did not help Jackson in the Green Bay game.

Jackson does have ability. I don't see why he can't be a good QB in a year or two.
    If he sucks really bad this year and the Vikings blow, then they'll be in the running for Andre Woodson (better than Brian Brohm).

8. Minnesota Mike

Minnesota Mike New Member

Bollinger is not really competing for the starting job. The coaching staff is saying all the right things about how the posistion is open and anyone could grab the spot but it is clear Jackson is their man. Jackson has been getting 90% of the snaps with the 1st team, he started last week and will start tonight.

BTW I really like T-Jack. Comming from a Div 1-AA school he is raw as hell but you can see he has great physical tools. He is also reportedly a very hard worker on and off the field. He will struggle at times like any young QB but I see good things in his future.

9. jaxter

jaxter Banned

I have seen couple of games last year and it's always interesting to watch these matches. It will be more interesting later on in the future, there are some great players who can help to get the suitable position in the table.

#9 jaxter, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. Drew

Drew Active Member

11. livia

livia Banned

For all NFL fans who may need this message!

Banned for spamming

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Thanks for bumping. I needed this message. :up:

13. JayJayWorrall

JayJayWorrall New Member

Haha me too...so glad it was bumped. New to the forum and i really needed it ;-)

14. JimmyMcnulty

JimmyMcnulty New Member

What an epic pre season game. I am gonna tell my grandkids about this one.

15. bentask

bentask Banned

i cant be the only one who hates Favre right

16. bentask

bentask Banned

I think it'll all work out in the end and Revis will sign

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, it was a real hoot.