NFCFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by abyzmul, Apr 20, 2019.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nding-nfl-field-during-player-safety-meetings

Jay Glazer: Owners Discussed Extending NFL Field During Player Safety Meetings
    Adam Wells
    April 20, 2019

One solution the NFL has explored to make the game safer is increasing the length and width of the playing field.

Per The Athletic's Jay Glazer, the topic was discussed at the NFL owners meetings in March.

"It was brought up, the players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger, and the field hasn't gotten any bigger," Glazer wrote. "I don't see anything changing, but this is the first year I actually heard about that. ... That was the first time I'd ever heard about that."

As much as the sport of football has changed over the years, one thing that hasn't altered much is the dimensions of the field.

The last significant change to the dimensions came in 1912, eight years before the NFL was founded, when two 10-yard end zones were added to bring the length to 120 yards from end zone to end zone. The field is 53.3 yards wide.

If the NFL wants to adjust its field, one potential model to look at is the CFL. Canada's field dimensions are 110 yards from goal line to goal line and 65 yards wide.

The league approved two player-safety rule changes for the 2019 season during its annual meetings. The kickoff changes implemented last year on a trial were made permanent, and the league expanded protection for defenseless players on blindside blocks.

The NFL's emphasis on player safety did help last season with a 29 percent reduction in concussions during the regular season compared to 2017.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They should enclose the field in a cage at the boundaries. Steel cage match no out of bounds. 3D football.

FJF likes this.
  3. abyzmul

Some day the Super Bowl will be played by a couple of fat geeks using Playstation 42 game implants and the game action will be a 3D holographic representation of a football field.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not a horrible idea. They raised the baskets when basketball players outgrew the sport so why would this be any different?

themorey likes this.
  5. abyzmul

The problem for me is the NFL using the guise of "safety" to make changes to the sport in order to raise the scoring potential. You increase the size of the field and it puts the defense at an immediate disadvantage because of the larger square yardage it adds.

I wouldn't even have a problem with it if they came out and said that was why they were doing it, but of course it's "safety" that's the reason. Like it's not obvious that they've adopted the Jordan Rules for some QBs and selective enforcement of offensive holding for the same reasons.

phubbadaman and FJF like this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There will always be an underground market for live blood sport.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

there's two much scoring now. I would like to see them pull the hash marks out wide and change the way the ball is spotted. They also should make a change in defensive holding. Way to many third and longs are becoming automatic 1st downs on incidental contact away from the play.

phubbadaman likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

There is no reason to extend the field. Just extend the referee lane on the sidelines, and don't allow any players to run out of bounds.