New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

With five games left to impress the New York Jets in place of the injured Corey Davis, the time to impress is now for Denzel Mims.

Time is running out for Denzel Mims
    Joe Douglas‘s 2020 New York Jets draft class was well regarded following its first year. Pro Football Focus even had the class tied for third-best in their Re-Grade after the season.

However, the class come under fire throughout its second season. Several picks in the middle rounds look like misses while the first three picks have been hampered by injury and drama.

Left tackle Mekhi Becton was the crown jewel of the class, dominating top defenders in his rookie year. Coming into his second season, he had sky-high expectations. A poll of NFL executives even rated Becton as the sixth-best tackle in the league.

However, a Week 1 injury has kept Becton out for the majority of the season, leading many fans to forget about his talent while some critics obsess over Becton’s weight.

The Jets’ third pick, safety Ashtyn Davis, has struggled with injuries and when healthy has made several plays where he took a poor angle or just seemed lost in coverage.

However, no other player has been more disappointing or involved with more drama than wide receiver Denzel Mims.

When head coach Robert Saleh spoke to reporters in the summer, he said he was looking forward to facing adversity and seeing how the players responded. Mims has faced plenty of adversity over the past four years.

In college, Mims played through a broken hand as a junior which hurt his draft stock as it led to a high drop rate.

Following an impressive senior year and a dominant performance at the Combine, many expected Mims to be a late first-round pick. Instead, he slid to the Jets at 59th overall, making him the 13th wide receiver selected.

Then, just before the start of his rookie year, Mims suffered a hamstring injury that kept him out until Week 9.

After a good start to his rookie season, Mims missed the Jets’ game against the Seahawks in Week 14 due to personal reasons and has not been the same player since that point.

Over his first six career games, Mims had 19 catches for 324 yards with 102 yards after the catch and four broken tackles. After returning the next week following the Seattle game, Mims compiled only four catches for 33 yards over three games to close the 2020 season.

Mims’s struggles near the end of his rookie year have carried over into 2021. In eight games, he has seven catches for 133 yards with no touchdowns and just one broken tackle. Most concerningly, Mims has a ghastly 20.0% drop rate (league average for wide receivers is typically around 7%), dropping two balls over his very small sample of opportunities.

The lack of production follows an offseason that was littered with controversy.

Heading into his second season, enthusiasm for Mims quickly faded as he struggled to work his way up the depth chart throughout OTAs, minicamp, and training camp. Months after the fact, it was revealed that Mims got food poisoning from salmon and lost 20 pounds, leading to his absence in early offseason activities throughout the spring.

In the preseason, Mims fell behind Keelan Cole and Braxton Berrios on the depth chart due to a limited route tree, an issue that was noted pre-draft.

During the Jets’ season opener against Carolina, Mims played a mere three snaps but hauled in a huge 46-yard pass on third down in a crucial fourth-quarter drive (although he was left uncovered).

After that, Mims was a healthy scratch for the next two games.

Mims returned to action in Week 4 but didn’t play more than 35% of the snaps in a game until Corey Davis was injured in Week 8. He got two starts in place of Davis but tallied only three catches for 50 yards over that span.

Next, Mims ended up missing three games due to COVID-19 before returning against the Eagles in Week 13. With Cole out and Davis departing in the third quarter, Mims played 21 snaps (36%), but he still only had one catch for four yards and registered the second-lowest overall PFF grade of all offensive players on the team at 50.7 (ahead of only rookie tight end Kenny Yeboah).

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

His feet remind me of Steven Hill. He's all legs.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

A Mims thread, great idea!

4. NYJ1970

I see NO similarities between Stephen Hill and Denzel Mims. ZERO. With that said the production is probably very similar.

kevda5n9ne and barfolomew like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Zero twitch. Slowing down to cut in and out of breaks is like watching an 18-wheeler roll into a light.

ColoradoContrails, Acad23 and abyzmul like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Is this an article or the o.p.”s thoughts?

7. abyzmul

18 wheeler is perfect.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mims has run out of time here.

9. abyzmul

He has a lot of mental lapses. I think some of these guys are just potheads. You really can get away with it a lot more than you used to.

barfolomew and Br4d like this.
  10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Don't degrade potheads by associating them with Mims mental awareness.

KingRoach, nycarl, barfolomew and 2 others like this.
  11. abyzmul

I remember when I read during camp in one practice he ran incorrect routes on like 7-8 plays and it reminded me of a couple of years ago when I made the huge mistake of bringing a vape pen to work with me.

I took wrong turns twice on the way back to my office.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Hes gonna get traded. Never plays and when he does he gets called for penalties.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Makes me sick to think we could've simply drafted Tristan Wirfs & Chase Claypool instead of Becton & Mims.

Sick to my stomach.

And my stomach has been through a lot since 1969.

Brook!, ouchy, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  14. NYJ1970

It pains me to say you're correct. After today and embarrassing himself with consecutive penalties I'm all done with him. The Jets should cut bait with Mims in the offseason. He just looks like stupid @ss out there and he's not helping the team in any way.

dmw, ColoradoContrails and kevda5n9ne like this.
  15. NYJ1970

Yep. He's got Vladimir Ducasse disease all the way

barfolomew and kevda5n9ne like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think with the disconnect between Mims and this new CS, Mims checked out mentally long ago. They should have traded Mims when his value was high. Right now, they couldn't get a month old burrito for him.

Just another fuck up by the new FO and CS. Time for the blame to be placed where it belongs. The Braintrust of this franchise is braindead. We suck on the field because we suck on the sidelines and in the FO. JD can save money, but assembling a competitive team seems to be just beyond his skill set. The New York Jets are fucked period. Clueless Owner and CS. Poser GM. He's not John Dorsey. He's not even John Dorsey's man servant.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

This thread needs to be changed to Denzel Mims is out of time.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  18. NYJ1970

Or better yet when does Mims get traded and how much can we expect to get out of him.

19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Maybe put Mims at FS and Davis at WR

barfolomew, JetFanInPA and Br4d like this.
  20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I think that clock hit zero today....wow.
    The JETS have upgraded to not just killing QB's by adding WR's to their resume.

NYJ1970 likes this.