New York Jets Related Memories

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 13, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I figure with many of us working from home and other things we'll need things to take us away from the news. With no sports and the possibility of free agency being pushed back I thought a thread of Jets memories might be good.

I'll start off with two:

1. Being a 7 year old in 1985 and being deathly afraid of heights being extremely excited to sit on our nose bleeds seat at Giants Stadium. I remember my dad holding my back, as I feared I would fall onto the playing field. He made sure I got to my seat and then once there I screamed until my voice was gone. Great times.

2. I remember October 23, 2000. I was in my last semester of college student teaching. My friend and I watched the game at his place. I left after the third quarter so mad. I went home turned on the game. I couldn't believe what I saw. My friend after the game came running to my house. My roommates thought we were crazy as we ran up and down the street celebrating that amazing victory. In Jets tradition I taught the next day with no voice.

nycarl and Brook! like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

2006 playoff clinching win vs. The Raiders. Not the most thrilling game but it was definitely fun to be at that game.

2008 Favre 6 touchdown game when Eric Smith almost killed Anquan Boldin. Got us rolling on what felt like a SB contending team. We know how that went...

dawinner127 and AJT73 like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Great thread. Also folks share how you became a Jets fan if you have no New York connection.

AJT73 likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

January 16, 2011 - Our defense stuck to NE's receivers like glue and got 5 sacks from covering them so well. Even when Brady didn't go down, he had to throw it away or near a receiver but incomplete. Also, the Harris INT when it looked like the Pats were gonna score on the first drive was unforgettable. It looked like a bad omen for us when he didn't score and Folk missed a FG, but the defense was just getting started and the offense made a few nice plays. To date, it's our last playoff win.

AJT73, MaximusD163 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="2008 Favre 6 touchdown game when Eric Smith almost killed Anquan Boldin. Got us rolling on what felt like a SB contending team. We know how that went...[/QUOTE]

I'll never forget that game. Sitting at my local bar feeling immortal (lots of booze I'm sure) after that game. I know its kinda common knowledge Mangini wouldn't bench Favre cause of the streak, but was it ever pin pointed when/where he actually hurt his shoulder? I know he didn't have many yards for like the last 6 games, but was it a general wear down that caused all of it or one single hit/play?

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

January 1999 - Jets vs Jags - It had the feel of a Super Bowl in our own building. We ran the Jags off the field on our way to the AFCCG. That group was as close to a SB as we've been since SBIII. The crowd was electric. It wasn't overly cold either from what I remember. Just a perfect day all around.

AJT73 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Chad flexing his bicep after hitting moss for 47 and the td v San Diego in the wild card round will forever be burned in my memory.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Dec 28, 1986. Beating the Chiefs in the Wild Card game. Not a classic but it halted a five game losing streak and I thought we were back in the groove with my favorite Jets (offensive) roster.

On to Cleveland.

nycarl and AJT73 like this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I was in college in Western New York during the 2010 season. My girlfriend and I visited Key West during the winter break, and our flight back to New York was scheduled during the first half of the Jets @ Patriots Divisional Round. I harassed our ride to speed all the way home to catch the full second half, and I was so hung over from our last night on the island I couldn’t even eat. After watching that game I was bouncing around the house.

AJT73 likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'll go way back - the first time the Jets beat the Seahawks 1985. I was 14 years old and in Florida the Jets game wasn't on tv. No NFL network back then so I'm watching the Dolphins game on NBC waiting for the other games scores to be flashed every 20 minutes......the Jets were losing 14-0 at halftime. It was 14-10 4th quarter I'm looking at a clock in my room shows about 3:45 pm I know the game is winding down but have no idea what's happening. All of a sudden score flashes up Jets 17 Seattle 14. The announcer comments less then 5 minutes left in the Jets game but says nothing else. I'm pacing around the room looking at my clock and the tv screen. The announcer then reveals less than two minutes to go in the Meadowlands and the Jets are " clinging " to their lead....now I'm thinking WTH? Is Seattle driving? No other info? Finally the Dolphin game ends coverage is switched to the NBC studio. Bob Costas says " Well the Jets have done something they've never done before...….it is a final in the Meadowlands" with the score behind him...I started jumping and down - I hated the fact they could never beat Seattle. I couldn't believe they finally did......plus I want to say it kept them in first place for the moment.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Bobby Jones from Texaco University (he worked at a gas station before joining the NYJ). Very popular guy for us back then. We traded him to the Browns in 1983 and he makes a sliding game winning TD catch against us. Think it was 10-7.

12. mrjet80

Yes.....his TD gave them the 7-0 lead right before halftime. The Jets finally tied the game with a little over a minute left but the Browns drove down the field and kicked a FG at the gun. 1983 - very disappointing......

IDFjet likes this.
  13. mrjet80

Speaking of Bobby Jones remember that TD catch in the Orange Bowl back in 1981? Tied that game up at the last minute.....wound up finishing in a 28-28 tie.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Jets vs Texans in 2010 is one of my favorite games. They blew a 16 point lead in the 4th QTR (wow they do this a lot) and my dad dragged me out of the stadium. It was my first year truly watching the Jets so 13 year old me didn't want to leave. I was stopping at every TV to watch the final drive and my dad kept yelling that he was going to leave me, the game was over. We get outside and watch on the big screen as Edwards catches the ball on the sideline, then Holmes catches the touchdown in the corner. Pandemonium outside the stadium, must've been an easy 10,000 fans outside just jumping and screaming... Good times.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jets vs Bills, game 5 of the 1976 season and the first win of the historic Lou Holtz tenure. Joe Namath off the bench to lead the Jets to triumph. Rich Caster threw his chin strap into the crowd in the box seats at Shea and I came away with it.

a couple years later my dog ate it.

FinnishJET, ukjetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I was at that game. It was amazing. Definitely a great memory

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

As I’m reading these they bring back so many memories. One they pops out. I think 1999. The Vinny non td td to beat the seahawks. My college friend and I we’re going nuts. Then our Seahawks pointed out it wasn’t a td. We stopped for a second then continued celebrating. Our Seahawks fan was so mad. Too many to post.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

1984 at the Meadowlands. First ever game live..... My uncle was on the waiting list for Shea and finally got tickets when the moved to the swamp.
    November vs the Colts..... cold wet, and a shitty game...rained its ass off and they lost 9-5. not ONE TD scored.... and I was still pumped (I still have the "GameDay" magazine from that day... granted half the pages are stuck together from getting soaked)

1985.... MNF vs the Phins. Obrien-Marino duel, but Freeman McNeil stole the show... on the field. The real show was Joe's #12 being retired at halftime. Crowd was so loud Joe couldnt make his speech... Place was rocking, and became total chaos trying to leave at the end (Dad grabbed me and said "hold on" as the crowd plowed down a fence trying to get out)..... this game is why I'm STILL a JETS fan... which led to:

1986 Dad got a job promotion to Miami and we moved to FL.... we were dumb young kids at the time and not happy... SURPRISE: MNF tickets at the Orange Bowl...... well that was the beginning of the end of the 10-1 JETS... 45-3 drubbing. As we're leaving... "JETS SUCK"... "Fuck you , theyre still in first place dumbass" (in a prepubescent 12 yr old voice. Then that dude literally grabbed the bag of trash from the can and tried to throw at me from 3 floors up as we left the stadium.... "You missed asshole... and the JETS are still in first place!".. as my dad grabbed my arm and dragged me towards the station wagon.

AJT73 and ConcordeChops like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I was at that game.

AJT73, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

1971 Jets vs Giants spring training game at the Yale Bowl in Connetitcutt. Jets just drafted John Riggins and he ran crazy over the Giants. Jets win. Fan ever since.

AJT73 likes this.