New York Jets interested in QB Josh McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rt-new-york-jets-interested-in-qb-josh-mccown

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

meh - McCown played well in Trestman's offense with some great weapons last season but the rest of his career he did nothing. I'd rather go with a different option.

The 1985er likes this.
  3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

Its really looking like the do is going to kick the tires on any breathing qb available

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'd have no problem with this. solid backup that knows how to prepare as a backup yet wouldn't fuel a qb controversy going in to training camp. solid quiet addition that the team needs. i wonder what his asking price will be

5. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Depends on the price. And I doubt he leaves Chicago. Like LTJF said, he played well for Trestman, but the rest of his career was nothing spectacular. He's a decent backup, but I'd rather get a younger decent backup.

6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Quiet addition? He played better than Cutler last year and it would immediately spark a QB controversy. And deservedly so.

I don't like the move, I don't trust he's as good as he played last year, I'd much rather get Schaub.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

schaub is instant qb controversy, there are already articles stating he is looking to start.. mccown is a career backup, no one is going to make a big deal about that signing.
    hell, i yawn thinking about it

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He'd be one of the last options I'd peruse but he could be a solid backup for us.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. If the Jets bring in Schaub the expectation will be that Schaub starts unless Geno has a very good off-season and camp. If they bring in McCown the expectation will be that Geno starts unless he has a bad off-season and camp. One of the two is a give Geno a push move and the other is a heavy pressure move.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Schaub is on record saying he doesn't want to be a back up

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Mccown threw 13 touchdowns and just 1 interception in 8 games last year, and completed 67% of his passes. He statistically had one of the best years of any QB last year. It's not the greatest sample size but you can't ignore such impressive numbers. And those certainly are not back up numbers.

So if you yawn at that or think it won't create a QB controversy you are simply not in touch with reality.

12. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Please no more long in the tooth QB's. I'd prefer Smith, Simms, and some day 2 of the draft QB to an over the hill or never was vet.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Look at the rest of his career. Then ask yourself why he never had success prior to his stint this year at 34 years old.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i agree. we do not need another brunell, garrard, etc. might as well re-sign babe parelli while we're at it.:p

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

He'd be fine.

i'd hate the idea of having a rookie aboard as the only alternative to Smith, not sure why some want a 3rd rounder or something who needs to go through his own learning curve and adjust to every damn thing about the NFL as the only alternative to push Smith. I guess the pick a QB every year crowd who expects greatness in a rooks first year or else dump 'em and move on want their Wilson, even though thats an aberration and more likely to hold the team back with inexperience. Geno would very likely win over a guy like that anyway, might as well stick with Simms if you're gonna do that.

Or, yeah, get a vet game manager like McCown as a plan B. I like that option better.

FJF likes this.
  16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't hate this idea. But I think i'd rather go with Schaub. I could be sold on McCown though.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Gotta have a backup plan. If the Jets aren't totally sold on Geno, then our season shouldn't rest squarely on his shoulders.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

In some ways, McCown is the perfect option.

He's mostly a career backup, so it wouldn't be an insta-QB controversy as much as a Vick/Schaub would be. Let's face it, whatever QB the Jets bring in will cause some sort of a mini-controversy because the incumbent (Geno) is not that good right now. People were calling for Matt Simms last season. Anyone the Jets bring in will be called on by a segment of the fanbase to start at some point, the question is how loud will those clamors be. For Josh McCown, it won't be bad.

At the same time, you want to bring in a quarterback who can play if we need him to. Geno is unproven, so if he falters or gets hurt, having a backup QB that can play is vital. McCown proved last season he can play at least in that system.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I know I loved him on my fantasy team last year, if they had let him stay in instead of putting Cutler back In I could have won it all.

20. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Like it or not, the season DOES rest squarely on Geno's shoulders IMHO. If the vet you want can't win the starting job preseason then how is he good enough to get us to the playoffs when/if Geno fails/gets injured? So in my mind, a failed Geno = no playoffs.

If Geno fails I'd rather start testing our new QB right away in either Simms or our mid round draft pick. Anyway that is the way I would play it if I were GM. A vet QB is a waste of time in the search process.