New Map of the 2021 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WoodyHarrelson, Oct 26, 2020.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

After a miserable start, here is what needs to happen imo.
    #1: Trevor Lawrence, no brainer here.

#1 (Sea): This is where the decision comes. It should go one of two ways here. They will need to trade up to grab Devonte Smith or Rashod Bateman if that's the route they want to go. I would think the two Seattle picks this year would enable us to move up 5-7 slots or so. Those guys won't be past 24 or so. If not, they should actually consider trading back this pick or round 2s 1st, for another early 3rd. The targeted WR's would then be either Justyn Ross (neck injury) but a previous top 5 pick. Or a guy like Amon Ra-St Brown from USC...maybe even Tarmorrion Terry, FSU. While they are NICE players, they aren't going to be #1's. Maybe Ross will but he is a year off football, neck injury, and needs to bulk up. It's an interesting decision on what to do.
    **With that being said, I would go the best OG here. Trey Smith if we can. I think Fant is a decent RT, Becton is great, and we will have 3/5 OL starters right here. PRAYING Cam Clark is serviceable and we can address center in FA or round 3.

#2: Would trade back for that extra 3rd. I would probably reach for Justyn Ross in middle of round 2. He may not even be ready to start this year but he's legit. 6 foot 4 and polished WR with great hands.

#3: Best center, best CB, and edge in that order. Xavier Thomas from Clemson may be a steal here. Had COVID issues but is just coming back from it now. Starter on the DL.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd stay put with the Seattle pick and take Smith, Davis, or Myers. Any of the 3 would upgrade the IOL. Then go RB or WR in round 2. I don't think it's a guarantee that Bateman goes in round 1. He might very well be available when we pick in round 2. Terrace Marshall's another day 2 WR worth looking at.

3. WoodyHarrelson

Agreed on Marshall. I thought Mims was very limited but it's early..

Hope Marshall would be a bit more polished.

4. WoodyHarrelson

Looking at how quickly Marshall has caught fire this season. I would agree with you.

Lawrence
    Trey Smith
    Terrance Marshall

rounds1/2

Round 3
    Best Center
    3A. BPA

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You just suggested trading up, reaching and and taking two defensive players. Do you watch the Jets? That's standard MO in our terrible draft strategies of the past.

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  6. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Say what you will but Douglas navigated the draft like a pro. May not have loved the picks but he had some savy moves.

Br4d likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the only hope the Jets have at this point of not floundering over the next several years is to let Douglas do the job they hired him to do. The owners need to not freak out when the media sells by howling for his scalp repeatedly. That's just the media selling.

NYJetsO12, FlaJet and Cromartie's_kid like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The first pick will either be Lawrence or a boatload of assets coming back in a trade.

The Seattle pick and our second rounder are what will impact our team for several years going forward.

Using one of those picks to move up to the 13-21 range for a player who unexpectedly drops and just shouldn't be available is one possibility.

Should we stay put and all of the running backs are on the board, grabbing the best one would give our offense the balance it needs as we build up our line and receiving core.

Having that high second rounder gives us the luxury of grabbing that RB while still getting an excellent player in round two.

A pro bowl guard or solid right tackle would also be nice.

Receivers, corners, tight ends, and pass rushers are always welcome.

I really hope people will quit whining about "our needs" as we need pretty much everything.

The only players we are married to are Mosely, McGovern, and Becton.

Quinnen Williams and Sam Darnold are tradeable and everyone else has minimum dead cap space if they are cut loose going into 2022.

Now would be a good time to buy low and lock up our best players (Crowder, Williamson, Poole, etc.).

Start looking at the draft and free agents now to figure out what we want our roster to look like in 2022.

pib01 and IDFjet like this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

With the amount of holes on this team it’s best player available at every position and try and fill the holes with $80 mil in cap space.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. If they take TL.The rest of the draft has gotta be primarily about offense. What message does it send if we go right back to drafting D after drafting another QB rather than giving him immmediate help & talent to grow with? Its a terrible look.

Yes the D needs help too.This is a multi yr rebuild regardless of what route we take.Dont leave it up to chance or make it harder than it has to be.Give the young QB resources to grow.

NYJetsO12, dawinner127 and K'OB like this.
  11. Right now it seems like their isnt much value in late RD 1 at WR. But think there are acouple guys whose stock is soon going to rise into that late 1st area assuming they declare.

Romeo Doubs Nevada

Marquez Stevenson Houston

Both have been dynamic & explosive for multiple seasons.Both have sub 4.4 speed & both have good size.

Doubs has #1 WR type potential & id venture to say more upside than a guy like Bateman.

Stevenson is more of a slasher/Z type. Deadly after the catch as well as over the top.

Edit: Now reading Doubs supposedly doesnt have great timed speed. Add him to the day 2/day 3 pile. He’s got massive potential.

#11 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2020
  12. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Kurt, what do you think about taking Najee Harris in the 2nd? Violent runner and more than a little ability to catch balls out of the backfield.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

It's going to be a very interesting draft day. Can't wait..

KurtTheJetsFan and dawinner127 like this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Lawrence is a no brainer at one. I think that is almost universally agreed upon.

I definitely see a trade back at some point. Either the late first or early second will be traded back to pick up an additional day two pick. I think loading up on third round picks is a nice way to address the defense without leaving the offense out to dry.

I think OL and WR will be the next two picks after Lawrence. Last year it felt like a bunch of receivers went a round earlier than expected. I don't feel too strongly about the order, but if GM I'm drafting a G or C in the first, and a WR with the 33rd pick.

15. WoodyHarrelson

It's all about what WR is available and when our Seattle pick is. I would trade the two Seattle picks if that means we move up 3 spots. It's just who is our guy? If Devonta Smith falls..grab him. I just think those Bama guys will be gone early. If not, do we like the LSU WR for Rd2 pick 1? Do we trade back and grab Amon St Brown in mid rd 2? If we are going to draft a #1 across from Mims they have to be a true #1...would hope we trade up for Devonta Smith personally.

16. I like acouple guys better than Harris but do think hes a solid day 2 back w great upside. He runs w good power & also very good receiving.

Would like to see him drop 5-10 lbs for some added quickness in space & his blitz pick up leaves alot to be desired.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think your right with the trade back situation with our Seattle pick. I can see JD moving back there with a team looking for a QB at the end of the first round for that 5th year option. Minnesota, Washington, Indy, Pitt, SF and Chicago could all be players looking to anti up for a QB.

33/34 will get us a nice prospect and if we can add another 2nd + 3rd id definitely consider it