NCAA 2008 early impressions

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jtuds, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So far I started Campus Legend Mode and also started Dynasty and played 1 game.

I am playing on PS3.

One thing I am finding is that the Menus and getting from feature to feature is a little bit cumbersome. It is sort of confusing and you have to completely quit a feature before getting to the Main menu instead of jsut pressing the back button (which for some reason is O instead of triangle) until you out to the main menu.

As for gameplay: I don't think I will play much Campus legend because I don't like going play by play as one guy on the field and trying to impress scouts, especially when you're a CB and the play is a run up the middle for 1 yard. Also, the camera angles for CB are bad, you lose your players and the guy you are covering, so there's just an arrow on the screen that tells you where your man is and you have to use that to cover the guy. I also find that when the ball is in the air in this mode, you may have trouble seeing it, but I wasn't playing on our HDTV.

In Dynasty Mode: the recruiting has become more confusing and time consuming but I think it is more intuitive and will make it more realistic. It is alot more that just selecting who you are interested in and recruting them, and there are not mroe recruiting points. Now, you call them and try to talk abotu what they are interested in. Also, is it VERY hard to get highly ranked prospects to come to a no-name school.

Playing the game is better than last year, and I was impresssed. I can't wait to get it on an HDTV, it will look even better. The animations between plays are far more realistic and look very crisp. Also, after a play, you don't see players walking through eachother or looking like they are gliding across the field when they walk. Tackles are way more realistic...the gang tackles look right and during open field tackles, the players seem to go down the way they shoul. However, during runs up the middle, there is still some bouncing around up the middle where players are sort of all running and jamming up against eachother like in previous NCAA and Madden games, but its not as bad as it has been.

There are ALOT OF CONTROLS. Holy shit! There are so many different thing you can do in this game, memorizing all features and using them in the game may be impossible for me. You can do a ton of stuff pre-snap, and the six-axis motion sensor is used to jump the snap on defence and I think you can use it to lead-block on offence.

Anyways, I like it so far, but I am going to have to balance time between this and MLB 07: The Show...

#1 Jtuds, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  2. Pride

Pride New Member

Nice write up. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.
    I havent started a dynasty b/c i waiting for online sites to release their rosters but the vid of recruiting is in depth as hell

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Do you just enter the player names in manually or is there a way to pull them off the internet and get the game to automatically configure them?

4. Pride

Pride New Member

Sites like fkrosters.com release the rosters every year around time of release. Rosters should be released some time today. What you basically need is a mem card for 360 n a datel transfer kit. All together it totals 45 bucks. I noticed u had a PS3 so you should be able to just use a flash drive to pull them off online once they are released. These guys work very hard and are to be complimented for their hard work. they correct rosters and input names, do depth charts, edit jersey no.'s n equipment for EVERY TEAM. Just nuts. Try to do one team. That takes 45 minutes alone

#4 Pride, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So if I save that to a flash drive how do I get it from the flash drive into my actual dynasty in the game? Like will they put it in some kind of format that will automatically just put the names in the game, or what is it?

6. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Here are two good sites that tell you how to get the saved games from your PC to your PS3:

http://www.ps3gamesaves.net/gamesavestoyourps3.html
    http://www.ps3brew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145

As far as importing them into your dynasty, I don't have the game, but based on other games I've played, I doubt that you'll be able to import the rosters into your already started dynasty, you'll probably have to start over.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

OK...so you start a new one and then select IMPORT ROSTERS if given the option? I never thought I wouldnt be able to get video games but man, PS3 and all this next-gen stuff is so technical...

8. Pride

Pride New Member

yea you have to start the dynasty with the rosters

9. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Recuiting take forever....it's so long!

10. Pride

Pride New Member

I havent tried yet but I heard its cool b/c you can make promises and other things as such. DO you feel its over done long or that its too llong but in a realistic way?

11. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

No, it's not over done, it just takes forever, and there is a lot going on so you need to keep track

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the last NCAA game I really got into was 04. I played that dynasty into the ground. and although I did pick up 05 at some point, I never got into it. I don't buy sports games every season, I like to play one every few years, so I am tempted to grag 08 this year to give my PS3 something to show off its guts with. willl I be disappointed, in both its next gen execution and overall gameplay -- considering I am expecting significant differences since 04, which is why I only play one every few years -- or will this game make me happy, both with the PS3 and the game itself?

13. Pride

Pride New Member

I agree, 04 was the first NCAA I played all day and night and is the best one up to this date. I love this game personally and now that I just go the rosters I am going to get into the dynasty n check it out. If your scared play the demo, if you like that you will like the game or you can try and rent it

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

heres my dead honest opinion. as far as madden and ncaa goes. I was a strictly last gen player. I played EA football on both ps3 and 360 and was disgusted.

so much that I didnt stop playing NCAA 07 for ps2 till monday. then i finally played 08 cause i had faith theyd fix it.

and you know what I love it. the control is still not super responsive and has plenty of room to improve. but what makes up for it is the actual physics and collision detection. no getting caught in animations. and I found out the best way because I made a Campus Legend and hes a 6 ft 3 247 lb RB. I've learned how to run well as a power runner and if u know how to maneuver your guy its as real as running a football gets.

no more are the days where any RB can be gliding around like barry behind the line of scrimmage. you have to have real vision to play.

i love it. the graphics are mindblowing. i havent played it on a HDTV yet and i already feel like i have. (but i'll be playing this badboy on a sony SXRD this weekend)

anyways point in case, this is a superb building block moving forward for EA on next gen. last yr was horrendous, im just glad i was smart enough to only spend money once they fixed it.

the highlight feature is the best thing ive seen in any sports game.

more on that i think we should all make threads or posts about our legends and upload videos and stuff. i just finished my first year. all i have to do is buy the router since ive only used my ps3 online at my friends houses who have one.

who here actually has the game on ps3? cuz i know most people here have 360's

15. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I have a PS3 but I am not sure about what you mean but creating a thred with our legends.....like you want to uppload the highlight vids to YOouTube or something?

I have jsut been playing Dynasty so far....I started campus legend but I am not sure if I can get into it...playign high school football games and stuff?...I dunno...

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i made a RB and just simulated till i was on the field, i did it so much i got through a whole college season in like 2 days. more on that later.

the HS games are the funnest, cuz if you know how to play you can literally dominate just like a future college star would. making the highlights is the best part.

17. ViLMaNiaC51

ViLMaNiaC51 New Member

I like this ncaa more than any I have ever owned lol I can't put it down I got it early like sunday.Have been playing online and im ranked like #1 my name is ChriSh89 if anybody wants to play on ps3.

18. Pride

Pride New Member

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm dominating with the UL-Monroe Warhawks...in this game, it's really easy to have a great defense, even if it's filled with mediocre players.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Wow, now Miami has all kinds of lines on their asses. And what's with the break in the green line underneath the nameplates?