My 2016 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by All Gas No Shake, Feb 29, 2016.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

franchise Mo, re-sign Fitz (something like 3 years, 30 mill. structured so he can start year one, back up year two, and be cut year 3). Re-sign Henderson, Bilal, and Antonio Allen. Tender Kembrell and Sudfield.

offer brick a pay cut down to his dead money hit, around ($5 mill, hed be hard pressed to get that on the open market) and extend mangold a year (through 2018. that will pretty much guarantee him 2017, so we can draft his heir apparent next year and cut him in 2018).

cut cumberland and kerly. id wait to see if giacomini is beaten out before cutting him.

i want to stay away from UFA. im planning on losing snacks, ivory, and demario. these three guys should fetch us 4th, 5th, and 6th round comp picks in 2017 ... i would fill in the roster with eventual cap casualties (i.e. Arian Foster)

now to the draft ...

Round 1 - NOAH SPENCE, OLB, EKU
    he didnt blow away the combine, and has off field issues so he may actually make it to our pick. i like that when he got to EKU, he insisted that they consistently drug test him.

he doesnt have ideal height or length, and he's not very stout against the run. however, he bends the corner very well and has a high motor.

Round 2 - LE'RAVEN CLARK, OT, TT
    i havent watched a ton of tape on this guy, but in the little ive seen he has displayed excellent foot speed. combine that with elite height (6'6) and length (over 36" arms) and he has just as much potential as any tackle in this draft. He played in the air raid at tech though, so there will be a serious adjustment. he could compete at RG/RT right away, and be groomed to take over for brick in 2018

Round 3 - JONATHAN WILLIAMS, RB, ARK
    this dude is my kind of runner. he breaks arm tackles and ankles. he also broke his foot and missed his senior year, otherwise i think he wouldnt make it out of the second round. if his medicals check out, i think he would provide great value in the third.

Round 4 - CHARONE PEAKE, WR, CLEM
    a big time recruit out of HS, he tore his ACL in 2013 and then was passed on the depth chart by Nuke, Watkins, and Martavis Bryant. He got a shot this year and showed good hands to go along with his height (6'2) and speed (sub 4.5). He still only had marginal production his senior year, hence his availability in the fourth.

Round 5 - TOM HACKETT, P, UTAH
    i dont know much about this guy but he was the Ray Guy winner for the past two seasons. we need a serious upgrade at punter.

Round 7 - MONTESE OVERTON, OLB, ECU
    at 6'2, 223, he's a tweener. he had a solid combine and has apparently matched up with TEs in college. this is a developmental pick for a future ILB.

if myles jack fell to us, i would pick him over spence. i just dont see it happening thought. i think the rest of my picks should be on the board when were up.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Brick's dead money hit is for the amount we already gave him in the past.

At that level he would be playing for free (below the vet minimum).

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your choices of whom to keep and whom to tender, although I think Brick has to be paid more like $7-$8 million rather than $5 million. Where I don't agree with you is in not being willing to sign FAs so that you can get compensatory picks. This team needs some of its needs addressed before the draft so that one isn't forced to draft out of need. I also think Snacks would bring a 3rd round compensatory pick rather than a 4th.

With regard to the draft, Wow! You believe in rolling the dice, don't you? There's no disputing Spence's talent, but taking him would be taking a huge risk due to his character/addiction. I am very curious to see what happens with him in the draft. I could see a team rolling the dice on him and his getting picked early, but I can also see him dropping like a rock. If he's clean and can stay that way, he would be HUGE for this team. I'd love it if he is clean, can stay that way, and we could get him, but I'd be surprised if either happens. If I took him, it would be with the provviso that he would be tested regularly, and I'd want to have him hang with Marshall and some of the solid citizens on the team.

I like the LeRaven Clark pick a lot, but I was disappointed in his bench press numbers at the Combine. Only 17-18. That makes me wonder about his work ethic. Due to a lack of strength, I'm not sure if he'd be ready to play this season. He may need a season in the NFL weight room before he sees the field, but he should then be ready to replace Brick last year. If we can't get Spriggs, I'd like this pick a LOT.

I like the Williams pick and love the Hackett pick. I can't speak to the Overton or Peake picks, but they sound like decent prospects, although Overton would need to put on some weight.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I assume with this team your moving Williams to tackle which I respect. I'm in the tag and trade camp but I certainly see value in the way you did this. I'm assuming the reason you're staying away from free agency has less to do with the picks and more to do with the salary cap. What kind of numbers did you come up with for your cap after the signings and cuts?

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think spence is a kid that got to college and got caught in the party scene before straightening out. hes addressed his issues and been forthright about them ... he did have an alcohol related arrest last year. hopefully he didnt just swap out one vice for another

clarks arms are insanely long. as someone with long arms let me tell you, the bench is not where i shine, either. he def needs work in the weight room but i dont think its a huge concern

overton is just a shot in the dark at a deone buccanon type pick. with our front i think we can afford to have guys who are lighter, as long as they can cover

bowles uses four man fronts the majority of the time. with this team we would employ that front even more often. rotate mo, snacks, and sheldon inside and spence, mauldin, and catapano outside ... but yea, when we go three down it would be lenny or mo at the nose

after cuts, re-signings (franchise), extensions, and restructures, we would have about 10 mill left ... i believe four of that has to go to the rookie pool. so not much left for FAs

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he falls to us, I hope you're right and that Mac will jump on him.

True. I had forgotten about how long Clarke's arms are. Thanks for the info on Overton.

I think either Lenny or Mo would be wasted playing NT in a 3-man front. The Jets are supposedly high on Simon their 7th round pick last year. I'd hope he could hold down the NT position if we can't keep Snacks.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like the Spence and Peake picks in those spots. If those 2 fell to us at #20 and in the 4th that would be awesome!

Having said that though I don't feel they will be there at those spots but it would be great no doubt.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Spence did better at his Pro Day, a little better. However I don't believe we were represented there. He's had mixed reviews, or reports, of his interviews.

Not feeling Spence for us, not thinking Mac&TB wanna risk there.

9. CJGreen

CJGreen Member

We had at least two scouts at his Pro Day so theyre a little interested, I just dont think he will make it to 20

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay. I must've read or saw about Mac not being there then. Good, at least we're kicking the tires. Not sure tho based on his workouts and interviews if teams will go high with him. Still a long way to go and evalute yet too tho.

11. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Rex Hogan was there along with a few scouts. From what I read Spence was only asked to do DE drills, no LB drills. I posted a link in the other thread about visits.

All Gas No Shake and Walt White like this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That's interesting that he didn't do any LB drills. I guess that will probably take him out of our 1st round group. I guess he wants to be drafted as a 4-3 DE. Kinda strange not to broaden his options pre draft. To bad because as a pass rusher he is one of the best in this draft.

13. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I believe the players will do what is requested of them. In this case I took it to mean that no team asked him to do LB drills.