Murder suspect raises unprecedented $35M bail via friends

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Apr 6, 2017.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — A California woman accused of killing the father of her two children is being processed for release from jail Thursday after posting an unprecedented $35 million bail raised by friends, family and business associates with ties to China.

Tiffany Li, 31, is backed by a group that raised $4 million cash and pledged $62 million in San Francisco Bay Area property. California courts require twice the bail amount if property is used instead of cash. She must remain on round-the-clock electronic monitoring.

Li's attorney Geoff Carr says Li and her mother were born in China, where the mother was financially successful in the construction industry. Carr says Li and her mother are naturalized U.S. citizens.

[​IMG]© The Associated Press In this undated photo provided by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office is Tiffany Li. With the help of wealthy family and friends in China, Li, a Northern California mother of two accused of killing the father of her two children, is… Carr said all defendants except those accused of death penalty-eligible crimes are entitled to "reasonable bail."

The $35 million bail is the highest ever in San Mateo County's history, a county official said.

Li has pleaded not guilty to charges she directed her boyfriend and another man to kill Keith Green, 27, and dispose of his body last year. Prosecutors say she feared losing custody of her young children to Green.

A friend of the murder victim said Thursday that she was disappointed and shocked that Li was able to pay for her freedom.

"Nothing about this seems right," said Angela Dunn, who said Green stayed at her house for six months after he and Li split. "It's very difficult for all of us, especially Keith's mom."

San Mateo District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said he's concerned Li is a flight risk and is disappointed the judge didn't set the bail even higher. His office asked for a $100 million bail.

"If convicted she faces the rest of her life in prison," Wagstaffe said. "That's plenty enough incentive to flee back to her native China."

Carr said he expects Tiffany Li to be freed Thursday pending her murder trial in September. Li will be required to turn over her passports, wear an electronic monitor and remain under house arrest.

Green's body was found May 11 in Sonoma County, about 80 miles (128 kilometers) north of where he was supposed to meet Li.

Li was arrested several days later in the multimillion-dollar home she shared with her children in Hillsborough, a suburb of mansions and large houses 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of San Francisco. The two men were also arrested in May and remained jailed without bail. Carr says their lawyers didn't ask for bail because they don't have the resources to post a multimillion-dollar bail bond like Li did.

Carr says the people who posted Li's bail believe she is innocent and will not flee. If she does go on the lam, the court can confiscate the property and cash.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...friends/ar-BBzsYVQ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Let me know when they find the other 2 suspects dead and she walks.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

she clazy

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yellow privilege.

5. JetBlue

Great deal for the city of San Fran. You know she gon'run.

6. FJF

I'd hit it

rohirrim665 likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It just sucks that this is in Cali, have to be licensed to go after a bail jumper.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

of course, the ONE guy who voted for the Allstate "car named Brad" girl . ; )

[​IMG]

9. FJF

I don't remember who else the choices were but i know why i voted for her. this chick gets the same vote for the same reason

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I think the others were the cute brunette in the Toyota commercial, chesty "Lily" for AT&T, and for the truly blind, "Flo" from Progressive Insurance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: I think there was also some not-so-hot redhead
    (me, i did a write-in vote for the "stacy's mom" cadillac commerical)

[​IMG]

#10 joe, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  11. FJF

@joe i remember now. lily was a write in. it was brad girl, flo and toyota girl. i took brad girl for the freak factor. lily wins that hands down if she was on the original poll (gigitty)

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ def lilly ftw (*)(*)

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It'd hit you back

FJF likes this.
  14. JetBlue

No, but it would apparently hire a couple of people to do it.

FJF likes this.