"Mortgage" the future?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Nov 24, 2017.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Some posters are saying give up whatever it takes to get a FQB, move up in the draft, trade etc.
    This approach is illogical to me. The history of the game has taught us that one player cant do it alone and that the best qb's aren't always found with the first pick or in the first round.
    The receivers we have are legit posession receivers and we have a burner. Our best receiver didnt play this year, hopefully he will be 100% next season.
    We need Oline to protect, a rb to relieve pressure (e.g.Matthew Stafford has never had a 1000 yard rushing rb) and a d lineman that can consistently sack the qb.
    Great/fqbs give hope but to not build a well rounded team in hopes of landing one just doesn't make sense to me.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's really the minority of posters here that say 'give up' as you put it. Why are the Jets thinking long term with the youth movement at every position except QB? No logic.

The problem i see here are that many of those that think the Jets are lacking talent in key positions, and imo, that is far from the truth. It's more like they lack the experience. How many here even predicted the Jets would even win 4 games? I said 5 but they have a good shot to win 6.

They are making strides in many areas except the most important. And this will bite them in the end. And just to mention, not a big fan of FA QB signings that require big $$, i.e. such as Cousins. Too much to mortgage. If you look at 90% of the successful teams presently in 2017, all have QB's that were drafted by them. I think the Vikings may be the only exception.

#2 BomberJet, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    boozer32 and fansince90 like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

With the cap space we have this year we should be able to plug a lot of holes,plus the extra 2nd round pick this is probably the best time to do it.

Big Cat and fansince90 like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Jet history tells us that they have zero luck drafting Qb's and lukewarm results leasing them on the FA market at best. With this new FO/CS in place perhaps that changes. What is universally accepted (at least I hope it is) is that the team needs a QBoTF be he a generational QB or not. That rules out McCown and forces Macc to go outside his comfort zone and take a leap of faith. The days of the Jets playing it safe at QB with old guys on their way to shuffleboard island are over. The good old days of the Rob Johnsons and Rich Gannons leading loaded teams to the SB likely will never come again.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Success doesn't come cheap my friend

Sure we need an OL ...very important but this is really secondary..100 per cent agree we have good receivers and a nice young nucleus that's growing

Where are the best QBs ? The fourth round like Petty? The second round like Hack? A lot of you guys are just hoping for a later round miracles like Brady or Wilson and use the mistaken argument that "not all the best are in first round first pick" to discount the fact that lately some of the most talented have ALL been first rounders

Evidence:

First Round sec pick Mitch Trubisky (Bears)...Very talented...Helped team go 2-2 in Oct 2017 after he took over from Glennon ...Doug Pederson compares him to next C Wentz after some "growing pains"

First Round tenth pick Pat Mahomes (KC) also very talented...Andy Reid paid a price to scoop him up..sits behind A Smith but heir apparent..Next to Belichek Reid is second best NFL coach..smart move

First Round 12th pick Desaun Watson (Houston) No explanation needed here

First Round First Pick G Goff (La Rams) Management risks it all and Trades Up...In less than a year Goff has gone from sorry to splendid ...Rams are 7-3 ..complete turn around with Sean Mcvay ..young smart coach and Geoff maturing

Unless you see the Jets "washing rinsing and repeating " year after year after year with quick fixes like Fitz Josh McGown and Cousins we will never be a complete contender...we need to grow a QB

There is so much talent in 2018 class the Jets HAVE to get THE BEST and do whatever takes ..

No Risk No Reward

Like I have posted before if the Jets don't get smart and make the right moves I am done after 50 years of being a Fan

FlaJet, boozer32, Number 10 and 2 others like this.
  6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I have no issues trading up for (or standing pat) to draft a QB...

But what are you doing putting Cousins in the same sentence as Fitz or McCown?

Don't cheapen your point with hyperbole.

If the Jets decide to sign Cousins - that's light years different from signing Fitz or McCown. As much as I'd love to have a homegrown QB I wouldn't mind if Cousins were under center for the Jets for the next 5 seasons. That would sure beat having a Fitz/McCown level player back there!!!

7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I would trade our first the second we got for Sheldon and a second in 2019 to move up if we must

westiedog1, Jets_Grinch and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Jetsfansince95

I would also be on board to cut Wilkerson and give Cousins 25 per

9. Jetsfansince95

If we get rid of Skrine and Mo that leaves us with 80 mil in space with 8 draft picks heading into next season

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and thank God we don't have an idiot like Idzik around to fck it up too should we wind up there. Still can't really afford to drop more than 30% of our cap into one position. We still have a few holes to fill with quality talent.

TonyFtLaud, FlaJet and boozer32 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

I've said this before ..if the Jets ultimately end up signing Cousins I would have to live with it or say goodbye as a fan..Yes he is far and away better than our recent journeymen ..good point. In his Contract will the Jets say "must get us to the SB or Contract void" Of course not . But like everything else in life ..no guarantees You have to understand I've been around this Team since 1968 and frankly ALL I care about is the LOMbardi Trouphy
    By signing a high caliber QB , talent like Cousins you are essentially saying he is the best..take us to the promised land..very reminiscent of Brett Favre coming on board..where did THAT take us????

He is also 30 years old and not getting any younger..Here's a scenario : we throw 25 million at Cousins and because he is older he breaks his leg like Fitz Then what? You gave him all this $ now you have to live with your decision till he recovers..Season down the drain

But if I am a creative GM I would explore all my options to draft a young talented kid who is a younger and healthier product, take his lumps for a year but have a FQB for years and years..this would be the smarter move imo

#11 NYJetsO12, Nov 24, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  12. FJF

Market dictates it’s not getting done without 2 1sts . I’d expect our 1st and 2nd this year plus 1st and 4th next year and that might be too cheap

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. FJF

If all you cared about was Super Bowls you would want cousins instead of a draft pick. Cousins breaking his leg is less a gamble than a draft pick panning out and staying healthy,draft pick has as much chance of injury as cousins.
    But that’s why you are the worst poster on this board.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You raise some good points but still a little premature. The jets have a very difficult schedule left and even the Charger game near the end of the year is no gimmee. The jets still may have a top 6 pick which may be enough to get QB Allen without trading up too much.

fansince90, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, if you were talking about a Peyton Manning-type talent, I don’t really know what would be too much to give up. Would three first-rounders be too much? Would the offensive tackle, wide receiver and cornerback you could take with those picks be better to have than that sort of QB?

It’s only the uncertainty about what you’re actually going to get that makes the decision difficult.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

The Eagles gave up 5 picks to get Wentz...live and learn

For the Jets just remember ..."when you ain't got nothin you got nothing to lose"

boozer32, westiedog1 and BomberJet like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

No one is advocating that you screw over the franchise just to get a franchise QB. That's foolishness. Mac can trade up or spend a hefty sum in FA to get a franchise guy without mortgaging the future.

fansince90 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

This year we may need to give up a lot to get in those top picks. I mean I've talked to cowboys fans and even they want there team to trade Up for a qb because Dak hasn't done so well the past THREE games a lot of teams gunna be lookin to. Move up.

it's such a big gamble because we could trade up and pick the next Ryan leaf and the franchise would be utterly fucked for years. but on the other hand we could be set for the next 12 years at qb so who knows

What ever they decide to do I'm sure it will be a disappointment lol

fansince90 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

Plus 100

Yesterday P Rivers and. Chargers dismantaled the Boys

Only concern is shaky situation in Denver where P Lynch getting a shot

OTOH it's at MHS in Denver ..we don't win on the road

4-12 on the way ...hehehe

#19 NYJetsO12, Nov 24, 2017
    boozer32 and Jets_Grinch like this.