Morning After

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Abysmal showing by the Jets yesterday. And under the rain, another ruined Sunday. 12 years of futility. I still can't get over it this morning.

Planning to shut everything down in my life regarding Jets until after Jets resemble to a functional Football Team. I lost my appetite. I feel run down. Yesterday's poor showing killed my spirits more than I anticipated.

What is your state of mind one day after the game?

Br4d, joelip, Wut? and 10 others like this.
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Numb at this point. We need a culture change from top to bottom. Even if things “improve”, it will never be next level with what we have. The last time we had a culture change , it was with parcells. A proven guy, a disciplinarian. We were atleast competitive through 2 coaches after that.

SOJAZ, Br4d, JetsNation06 and 9 others like this.
  3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

This is how I felt last year. Surprisingly I'm in a decent state of mind. I was somewhat encouraged by the def. If the offense can be even average we can compete in games. I think we're still looking at less than 5-7 wins

rockyusmc2003 and azhar80 like this.
  4. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

run pass play calls totally lopsided.

what happened to the run game yesterday 50+ passes is a sure loss, most weeks.

Lam

Br4d and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Still frustrated as fuck to see the SAME OLD SHIT yet again.

again we get the “give it time, the OL needs 4 games to gel, the kids you know they need to grow” and on and on and yet again another double digit loss. We now own the record for most consecutive September games lost on top of owning the longest current playoff drought.

I don’t want to overreact to one game but it’s hard not to.

I’ve been a big JD supporter and I think I still am but this mess of an OL is on him…I just can’t get past the fact that he’s now in his 4th year and after three drafts our OL still “needs to gel”…it’s fucking inexcusable. I also can’t help remembering that Tannenbaum also walked into a shit OL and he gave us a top 5 OL in ONE offseason. JD hasn’t done it after three drafts and three free agency periods. I hate that he relied on Becton which half this board called out as stupid at the time.

so I’ve lost quite a bit of respect on that, and that’s not even talking about Zach who I have serious doubts about…

I’m not in favor of canning him yet but the shine is definitely off

as to Saleh, I’m not convinced he’s the guy. Again, not saying can him but we can’t keep showing up like this…we need to see real progress and soon…I don’t expect a lot of wins but I don’t want to see double digit non competitive losses like yesterday where we are the most boring ass fucking team on the planet…

if Saleh continues to suck this year then he needs to go at the end of it

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I hate this bullshit excuse(and the plethora of other ones). This is what camp is for

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Pretty excited about the showing yesterday. Much better than I think anyone would have expected. Yes there were lots of mistakes but that is to be expected with 13 new starters and such a young team. But, the team looked like they belonged on the field with the Ravens which is something we did not see last year. The defense looked fantastic. The DL was dominant. Kwon had a great game and our 2 new corners played excellent. The offense self destructed with a poor OL, 2 fumbles in the red zone, dropped TD, TD called back, 1st down drop and missed FG. They were 1 or 2 less mistakes away from leading in the 1st half. The most concerning thing was the OL inability to pass block. A lot of that was Flacco was unable to avoid and run form rushers. It will be an ongoing problem and they will have to adapt. I hope to see some Jet sweeps this week and misdirection to slow the rush.

This is what we should expect from a young team lots of flashes with agonizing mistakes. A young team requires patience and an understanding that developing young players a process that takes time. Patience is something most people do not have. We are one game into year of the rebuild. Things will not be fixed overnight but they will get better. It was encouraging to see the us not blown off the ball on defense or offense except for our inability to pass block. At this point they need confidence and need to relax and just play. if they can get an early lead in one of these games it will help them calm down a lot. Playing form behind everyone presses which results in players making mistakes.

dmw, LAJet, onefanjet and 11 others like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am encouraged and disappointed. I am not ready to fire everyone. I thought Breece would play better but he had a couple of welcome to the NFL moments. I also thought Elijah would play better and get open quicker. Joyner played like a Jag. He is the weakest spot on the defense. I also thought Carl Lawson would be more disruptive but going against Lamar I will give him a pass.

I am encouraged by the way the defense played beside the 55 yard bomb. They can keep us in games this year if we stay healthy. Garrett Wilson is a stud and will be a star by Mid Season. Sauce is the real deal as well.

It is hard to win in this league with your starting QB and Flacco played like a back-up QB he is. MLF needs to call a better game he abandoned the run to quickly in my IMO but we were down so the numbers got a little skewed. I think we need more GW, Berrios, EM in the game at the same time.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

As Jets fans, thats all we have is excuses

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Thank you for having some rationality this morning. Other than the two games vs the Bills, this is probably the toughest game we’ll have all year and we did look like we belonged on the same field with that team, at least for 3 QTrs we did, and that was with a back up QB that looks like he should be retired.

The key to this season was always improving as the year goes on.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Camp is a Joke in today's NFL. Just look around the league it is about not getting injured instead of preparing for the season. They just don't get the full contact reps anymore. Go look at week 1 over the last few years. Heck Jacksonville beat the Colts a couple of years ago week 1 and then preceded to lose every game after that. Greenbay got killed last year week 1 and won the division easily.

It sucks more for us because of all the losing but we need to spit the first four we can panic if we are 0-4 but I doubt we will be.

Losmeister, KY Jets Fan and NY Jets68 like this.
  12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I watched the game wearing my colors at our local sports bar and I swear I can see the look of sympathy in eyes of the people around me.

KY Jets Fan, Noam and cval like this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel just yet.

On one hand, the offense was a joke and they got blown out. Its impossible for me to feel good about a team after getting blown out at home. I know it was early in the game, but I thought that missed kick was an absolute turning point.

On the other hand, this was a competitive game in the first half. I believe two of the three Ravens TDs came off of short field possessions and directly from mistakes that can hopefully be corrected.

Couple thoughts on the game:

- I was very impressed with the first round picks. Sauce played really well, Johnson had a sack, and Wilson made the most of the snaps he played. That bodes well for the future for sure.

- I don't understand how a team can botch special teams so badly. We've know for years Mann is not a good punter. I'd hope the team is looking at new punters and kickers today.

- While I thought the offensive line did not play well, Flacco didn't really help. It looked at times he was too slow to even drop back lol. He was very frustrating to watch.

- I didn't think coaching was a crazy factor today. Of course I could pick out things I'd have done differently, but overall I didn't see any egregious coaching mistakes.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Nothing changed for me.

I expected to lose to the Ravens, especially with 2 starting OL and a statue backup QB. Though, I found the play calling extremely head-scratching.

Why run up with the middle with Carter over and over instead of Hall?
    Why not take deep shots to Wilson or Mims when your offense clearly can't move the ball?
    Where are the targets for Uzomah?

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

TBH I’m most upset about the continued rotten luck of our franchise. We were of course the only team in league without our starting QB for week 1 who happened to get hurt on a non contact routine play in preseason.

The worst part of yesterday was our OLine & Flacco and I do think Flacco contributed to how bad the OL looked.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm very disappointed. The Ravens were 8-9 last season and 25th overall in defense, a very beatable team. I was hoping a veteran presence at QB would stabilize the offense and make it somewhat effective enough to put some points on the board utilizing many of the shinning new weapons the Jets acquired in the offseason. Instead we saw Flacco just as indecisive as Wilson. It's not like Wilson got hurt on Friday before the game. What have these guys been doing in the month they've had to practice together? I get that the O-line was a bit patched together but veteran QBs should be able to compensate. It's not like Flacco never saw a strong pass rush before. We also witnessed more bad coaching decisions. Why was Cager out there to start the game, after all the fuss about signing two "wonderful" TE veterans Uzomah and Conklin? We've also seen the kicking game descend to typical NYJ depth of confusion. Do we have a competent FG kicker and punter? God only knows.

REVISion, Borat, Jojo and 3 others like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We will have to take a look at the tape to completely judge Flacco. It could be the receivers were not just getting open. He looked real slow both of foot and decision making.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Raven's defense was drastically improved this off-season with new talent and getting healthy.

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I also thought several plays were nonchalantly handled. For example, there was one play with a quick drop back pass directly to the sideline to Hall (I think). The whole play seemed like it was 70% walkthrough speed.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

In my opinion, Dallas seems to be more snake bitten than the Jets. They are consistently "super bowl contenders" on paper and never get it done. The Jets, in recent history, haven't even been favored in more games than not each season.

LAJet likes this.