More news on Leon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaywayne12, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Injured New York Jets running back Leon Washington optimistic, hopes to rejoin team in March

BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 2:15 PM

An upbeat Leon Washington, four weeks removed from his gruesome leg injury, said Thursday that he's ahead of schedule and hopes to rejoin his teammates next March for the start of the off-season conditioning program.

"My goal is, which I'm very optimistic about, is to get back in March for initial training," said Washington, speaking to the New York media for the first time since his injury in Oakland. "I want to be moving around pretty good. I want to be able to work out with the guys ... I'm very optimistic about that. I have faith about it. I look forward to it. The way I'm moving right now, I'm right on target."

Washington suffered a rare injury - a double open fracture in his right leg. He broke the tibia and fibular bones, which pierced the skin. For the interview, he sat in a chair, with his lower leg encased in a walking boot. He's getting around on crutches.

Washington, in the final year of his contract, said he has "no regrets" about eschewing the Jets' proposal for a long-term contract - a decision that could ultimately cost him millions.

"With business, there's risk and reward," he said. "I knew that coming into the season. There was a risk ... Life is more important by being happy than, per se, money. Obviously, the security part is what you want for you kids' kids, grandkids. But right now, I feel better than ever."

Washington recounted the injury and how it happened.

"When I got to the sideline, I saw blood coming through my sock," he said. "Seeing that, I thought, 'Okay, this is probably a little serious.'"

He found some humor in his ride to the X-ray room at the Oakland Coliseum, but it wasn't funny at the time.

"In Oakland, they have to do better with the X-ray room," he said. "I had to get on the cart, go out in the parking lot, all the way around the stadium it seemed like, to get to the X-ray room. It was bumpy going through the parking lot, it seemed like I was out with the fans."

Washington underwent emergency surgery. Because he broke the skin, the immediate concern was infection. A steel rod was inserted into his leg.

"Infection, infection, infection is the major setback with the type of injury I have," he said. "Thank god, I'm 98, 99% past that part. The wounds have healed up."

Doctors told him a full recovery will take six to 12 months.

"Since I beat the infection part, it's all up to me, what side of the spectrum I'll be on ? the six-month side or the 12-month side," he said. "They expect me to have a full recovery and they're real surprised at my mobility right now."

Washington, in a heartfelt moment, described how much he misses the game.

"I miss football more than anything else," he said. "Like I told someone earlier this year, if football was a sport we played professionally and didn't get paid for it, I'd be one of the guys that play," he said. "I love to play football. That's what I look forward to, getting back to it."

The injury put a lot of things into perspective.

"I tell you, one thing that's great, this Monday I took my first shower in three weeks," he said. "I'm telling you, the little things in life. I was taking bird baths for a while."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/11/19/2009-11-19_leon_jets.html

Now I know theres going to be a lot of..sure he says he feels ok about not taking the money now...stuff.

But for some reason, I believe him when he says he would play football for free. Just a vibe....could be wrong. Happy he is feeling better.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Still love the guy...and the reasons are the same.

3. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

He sincerely sounds like he is ready to forget about the money he lost and just wants to get back on the field and prove himself again. He's a classy guy, handled this situation well and I look forward to seeing him in green and white (or the alternates we seem to wear every other week) next season.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if he would play for free he would've taken the deal on the table.that said i hope we lock him up long term

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wrong. Having the worst agent since Master P fucked that up for him. Leon means what he says.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wish him all the best in the world. Good for him he understands he took a risk (on the contract) and it backfired... shit happens and you have to move on.

Hopefully he'll be back 100% and get a fair deal in place (3 to 4 mill a year).

Having a player, and a guy, like Leon back next year will help this team a lot.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Something tells me Tanny will offer him around the same amount of money as last time and this time, Leon will take it.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Fixed above-

Would you pay the same amount of money for a Ferrari v. a Ferrari with previous body damage and a rebuilt engine? I think not.

9. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

I believe that he REALLY loves football but if we would play for free then he most certainly would play for the 4Mil offered.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

It would be just body damage, because its a leg bone not an acl injury or something. As far as I know, you can completely recover from something like this.

11. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

You still don't offer the same amount of money until he has a season to prove himself. That just would make no sense on our part.

12. flgreen

flgreen New Member

I have a feeling he will get the 2.5 million RFA tender next year to see if he can still play at the same level

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not sure they are telling us the full extent of his injury. It's not like he simply broke a bone in his leg. He had a double compound fracture, that can do damage to tendons as well as muscle and skin.

14. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

Agree 100% - He has to prove himself - untill then, no super-deal.

15. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

I know its the nature of the business, but ironic how Leon needs another year to prove himself after the injury, all the while Gholston sits back and collects his millions.

I get why, but its still ironic. And kind of sad.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Yes.......

17. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

If it was the Mangini regime, I would agree with you about covering up the severity. Hell, Mangini would not have even acknowleged an injury occurred.

I feel they have reported it correctly.

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Yeah...but he meant if there was no money..but there is money. His agent did a very poor job. Is some of that Leons fault? Of course it is. Most football players get one chance to cash in.

He even mentioned that he had a chance to set up his entire family..all the way down to his grandchildren..for life. He was a top five kick returner with Westbrook type ability. His agent went for it.

Now if football were to be canceled for good...I do believe you would see Leon Washington somewhere on Sundays playing in a football game. That was his point I would think.

19. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Truely one of the greatest disapointments in life is having something in your hands and it gets away." As a true fan of Leon W. I feel for him as I did for Pennington". But you BEST to believe the organization has the upperhand and wont feel pitty in this business. In this case we realise that deep inside we all ultimately want a secure future for our families no matter the cost and I can't wait to see Leon bounce back hungry in march and do that damn thing for his fam

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He'll be back by march? amazing what a contract year can do.