Mock Draft from NY POST S.Serby

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FlaJet, Apr 5, 2014.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

In a trade down, Fuller is cool.....but not at 18. With Cooks and Pryor both around, one of them has to be the pick.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No way. We take any corner other than Dennard I'm going to riot.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That mock shows very clearly why it would have been better if the Jets had lost to Miami. At #11, the Jets would have had their choice of Ebron, Lewan, Gilbert or moved up 4 slots and taken Bridgewater. I would absolutely be pissed if Fuller was the pick. Seeing Dee Ford go to the Pats would probably unhinge me.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Insane, with Lee, Cook, Pryor and Ford still on the board. I would be totally pissed at that choice.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

thats junk lol

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Looking at the list, they had

# 11 - Titans: CB Darqueze Dennard, Nebraska. Good job, NY Post.

Geno Da Meano_ likes this.
  8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not agreeing with Serby. But Kyle Fuller is a pretty solid CB that is on the rise, but he's not the BPA by a long shot in that mock.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea and Rex wouldn't be here right now... So fuck that.

Axel3419 likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

its never better to lose.

seriously, never

Axel3419 and Brook! like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Seriously, I totally disagree and think that kind of thinking is short-sighted and downright dumb. Is it better to win the battle and lose the war or lose the battle and win the war?

It would be one thing if the Jets didn't have the holes they do, their team was basically in place to make a serious run for the next 3-5 seasons, and had just had a bad season due to their starting QB missing a big chunk of the season with an injury or if they had several key players miss a number of games due to injuries. Then a win is better.

When you have all the holes, lack of depth the Jets do, and are still in the midst of a major rebuild of the talent on the roster; when you are at the end of a dismal season when one more win won't get you into the playoffs, is basically meaningless, and it will only hurt draft position, it is better to lose imo. The difference in draft position is HUGE and not just in the 1st round, but in every single round. The difference between the talent the Jets could get at #11 and #18 in this draft could make the difference between the Jets becoming one of the top 5-10 teams in the NFL within a year or two or still struggling in the middle of the pack to even make the playoffs. Winning a game like that hurts the team more long term in the talent it misses out on than whatever momentum or pride is gained, especially when you consider the fact that the Jets were facing turning over at least 25% if not 40% of its roster this season and losing high profile players in Cromartie, Sanchez and Holmes, and that win will mean nothing to the new team. With 12 draft picks, the Jets have the opportunity to dramatically change the talent level of the roster, and with 7 of those picks very dependent upon W-L record, having a substantially better draft position maximizes one's ability to raise that talent level and address needs.

12. FJF

this isn't war its a sport and the object every time you take the field is to win. anything to the contrary strikes at the very heart of competition and i would have to wonder about the character of anybody who would actively throw a game no matter the reasoning behind it

Spike_D likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Typical. You know you've got nothing, but the same old, tired, hackneyed, hideabound perspective, so you try to deflect by accusing the other poster of saying something they didn't even remotely suggest. I didn't say anything about throwing a game. That's something a team does, not a fan. The parallel between my war analogy and the sport is accurate. If you can't see it then that's your problem for having a lack of thinking/reasoning ability. Individual games in meaningless seasons are meaningless in the grand scope of things. What every Jets fan should be rooting for is for the team to build a strong team that is a perennial contender and a SB winner as soon as possible, not winning the last game in a lost season just for some momentary petty satisfaction.

14. FJF

Typical. Go right to condescending insults because you have nothing else. I root for the jets every game every year. You go on and keep complaining they won too many games last year.
    I am done here

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the draft was an exact science maybe this post wouldn't seem so ludicrous. It's not though & it is just as likely to hit on the 18th pick in every round as it is the 11th.

Knocking the Dolphins out of playoffs is much more satisfying than picking 7 picks higher in a draft. To suggest otherwise is just crazy talk.

FJF, iJet and Spike_D like this.
  16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Tell that to Mark Sanchez. At least he won the "snoopy bowl."

If Mike Evans is still on the board @11, that "feel good" week 17 win over Miami is a complete joke. I'm sorry.

17. FJF

what if evans busts? than how is that story feel? fact is the draft is a gamble. the best player on the team was drafted 30th and our biggest bust was drafted 6th. its not where you pick its who you pick. playing the positioning game guarentees nothing, losing games doesn't benefit a team

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny that a person can cover a sport for decades and not really care about sounding smart? His whole job is nothing but trying to make fans angry, he doesn't do any research unless it means making people angry. Steve Serby must be a very miserable person. That's kind of a victory for the fans isn't it?

19. NCJetsfan

My first response was not meant to be a personal attack and wasn't necessarily an insult. I said "If you can't see it (the relevance of my analogy), then that's your problem. You may see it but don't want to accept it, or may be capable of seeing it, just choose not to because it doesn't fit your philosophy.

Sorry, but where that one picks doesn't matter, is just laughable. So it doesn't matter that the Jets never got the chance to draft Peyton Manning or Elway or other great players. Most of the "experts" say that there are 7 "cream of the crop" type players in this draft. It's not very likely, but it is possible that one of those 7 difference makers could drop to the #11 spot, but practically impossible that one would drop to #18, and that's just talking about the 1st round. In every round, the Jets could wind up missing outon a great player at a position of need that could really help turn this team around. At #11, the Jets could conceivably come out of this draft filling their needs at WR, CB, FS, TE and OG. At #18, they might only be able to address CB and WR. They might wind up having to take more depth-type players rather than potential starters. I could go on and on, but I suspect it's pointless. You know the truth of which I'm speaking, your mind just won't let you accept it.

You can't go into the draft being afraid the players you pick will bust. You do the best scouting you can, the best research, use wisdom, discernment, and common sense, then make your picks. Yes, some players don't pan out as you hope they will, but if you have a good scouting dept. and GM, then more often than not things will work out. Using your rationale, there's no guarantee that the player you take at #18 won't bust, either, so one might as well just trade away all one's draft picks. That's the only way to avoid possible failure. That approach is a cowardly approach. Anyone that would take that approach doesn't deserve to be a GM in the NFL. The difference between choosing 11th and 18th is big, and if one drafts well, huge. Having to settle for a Ellington or Bryant at WR rather than Evans can be the difference between being an 8-8 team or a 10-6 or 12-4 team. There's a greater likelihood that Ellington and Bryant will not pan out than Evans, it just won't hurt as much if they don't pan out.

No there are no guarantees, but it increases one's chances of success exponentially. Again, just because can't or won't see the benefit, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I'm sorry that you choose to have such a narrow way of thinking and can't look at this issue from a broader perspective.

20. FJF

So how has seattle been doing since not being able to draft manning? Or the patriots or the packers,saints,steelers,ravens? And why is it that the browns,raiders,bills,and jags still suck when the perennially pick in the top 10? By your logic they should be super dynasties by now.
    the fact is losing breeds losing and loser mentality. Al which brings instability and turnover.
    as far as your trading draft picks remark. I didn't say trade them all and be afraid to make picks.I stated that you candraft a bust anywhere and losing for positioning does not gurantee draft success,but you knew that.
    You can save your next long winded post,it will fall on deaf ears. I don't look for ways to justify losing