MOCK 1.0 - Going big in 2021 using QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its early and this is just one route. I'm starting with an ideal draft because we have to begin by thinking big and whittling down. So this is a mock that goes out on a limb a few times. However everything listed is possible. Just not likely. This build is called QB matchmaker. Its a different route then other mocks I'll post in the future. It is a build fast now mock with several deal making reaches. But not completely impossible. Some of the deals would actually be made leading up to the draft but I list them in draft order because it makes it funner to read.

1. With the first pick of the 2021 draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select:
    Trevor Lawrence
    Take him you bastards.

2. The New York Jets have traded the second pick in the 2021 draft to the Atlanta Falcons.
    HIGH
    The Jets get Atlanta first (4), second, (36), second in 2022, and QB Matt Ryan.
    LOW
    The Jets get Atlanta first (4), second in 2022, and QB Matt Ryan.

With the 2nd pick in the 2021 draft the Atlanta Falcons select.
    QB Justin Fields

Obviously the value of Fields is still in motion. Hopefully it improves. This is a realistic trade with one exception, which I'll get to later.

3. With the third pick in the 2021 the Miami Dolphins select:
    Peniel Sewell
    Nothing we can do about this.

4. The New York Jets have traded the fourth pick in the 2021 draft to the Carolina Panthers.
    HIGH
    The Jets get Carolina's first (8), second, (40), and second next year, QB Teddy Bridgewater
    LOW
    The Jets get Carolina's first (8), and second next year, QB Teddy Bridgewater.

With the 4th pick in the 2021 draft the Carolina Panthers select:
    QB Zach Wilson

At spots 6,7, and 8 are the eagles, lions, and panthers. All three could be potential trade partners for Zach Wilson. I choose the panthers at 8 because I think they could be the most realistic. I know I said this was an ideal draft, we should trade with the Lions for the same plus Stafford. Just not sure that would be in play.

More importantly what this build is doing is burning the top QB prospects, while acquiring others QBs in trades. QB matchmaker.

5. The Cincinnati Bengals have traded the 5th pick in the 2021 draft to the New York Jets for LB CJ Mosley.
    HIGH
    The Jets get the 5th pick for CJ Mosley and a 3rd next year.
    LOW
    The Jets get the 5th pick for CJ Mosley.

With the 5th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    WR Jamaar Chase

The Bengals are really looking for help at LB. Mosley is a top LB that they know well from his Raven days. I'm sure they would love to have him. Mosley comes cheap next year as well. Realistically I'd add to a 5th or 6th to sweetin this deal if necessary. Other destinations for Mosley would include Carolina, Denver, Houston, and maybe Dallas.

6. With the 6th pick of the 2021 draft the Philadelphia Eagles select:
    WR Devonta Smith

7. With the 7th pick of the 2021 draft the Detroit Lions select:
    WR Jaylon Waddle

8. With the 8th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    LB Micah Parsons

9 through 11, Denver Dallas and Giants select unknown.

I'm not going to project other teams selections this far down. Even with the the lions its hard to say and they might take Rousseau at 7. But ideally they go WR.

12. The San Francisco 49ers have traded the 12 pick in the 2021 draft to the New York Jets for QB Matt Ryan.
    HIGH
    Jets get their first (12), second (44), and 3rd next year, Jimmy Garrapalo.
    LOW
    Jets get their first (12), and Jimmy G.

With the 12th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    G - Wyatt Davis

We get the top interior o-linemen. Everyone knows the 49ers are hugely talented with a big cap hit coming in 2 years. They are in win now and only a Matt Ryan from another SB. We've already burned the QBs they want. Making this deal would be easy. They would give up Jimmy G because they cant carry two large QB contracts. The problem is the 49ers know Ryan is perfect for them and may just go to Atlanta direct before the draft. This is where JD would need to work the phones starting TODAY to begin cementing the deal for the 2nd pick.

15. The New England Patriots have traded the 15th pick in the 2021 draft to the New York Jets for QB Jimmy Garrapalo:
    HIGH
    Jets get first round (15) and 4th round.
    LOW
    Jets get first round (15).

With the 15th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    BPA - Interior o-line, DB

We all know why this trade makes sense. To be honest Jimmy G could be traded to other teams just as easily. I'd consider giving away a 6th to make the deal work on the low end. Jimmy G is a quality QB but he cant stay healthy. One other concern is the BB might think Mac Jones is his next Brady. In that case the 12 pick might have some trade value with them, and for more booty.

20. The Chicago Bears have traded the 20th pick in the 2021 draft to the New York Jets for QB Teddy Bridgewater.
    HIGH
    Jets get pick (20)
    LOW
    Jets get pick 20 and give back 5th in 2022.

With the 20th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    BPA - RB, DB, IOL, WR

27. With the 27th pick of the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    BPA - RB, DB, IOL, WR

28. The Pittsburgh Steelers have traded the 28th pick in the 2021 draft to the New York Jets for QB Sam Darnold:
    HIGH
    We get their 28th pick - they get Darnold and our 3rd from Seattle.
    LOW
    We get their 28th pick - they get Darnold and our 3rd pick.

With the 28th pick in the 2021 draft the New York Jets select:
    BPA - RB, DB, IOL, WR

QB Matchmaker ends.

This one is a reach. Obviously Darnold didn't help his trade value against NE. Not sure if this trade wouldn't require us giving up more, making it not worth it. I'd also be open to taking Pitts first next season instead. Still a good place for Darnold to land.

In this build we get the top WR, edge, and guard in the draft - along with 4 other firsts. This is an ideal fantasy with the potential deals we have available. There will be other more down to earth builds coming, with different directions. But I'm starting out thinking big.

Have fun tearing it apart or imaging what could be.

What would you do with picks 5, 8, 12, 15, 20, 27, and 28?

#1 ouchy, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

LMAO. Appreciate the try.

CJ Mosley would command a 2nd at best, at very best..on a good day.

Greg Rosseau is a 3 technique and DL not an edge. Think more of Chase yound but he'd be lined up next to quinnen is what I am saying..not what we really need with Fatuski+Quinnen+Franklin Meyers already doing that.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've not seen Rosseau play as he opted out this season. But on all draft depth charts he is listed as the #1 edge.

4. WoodyHarrelson

Not an edge bender but a bigger quicker DT think Henry Anderson type player but obviously much better.

ouchy likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

After looking at his stats the dude had 15.5 sacks his freshmen year. I'd still be up for taking that at 5, no matter where he lined up. If we had that much pressure in the middle the entire D line would succeed.

TBH we don't know what scheme on D we will run next season? One of our many questions.

James Hasty likes this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

Please no more DL lol

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Great effort just unrealistic unfortunately

James Hasty likes this.
  8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

5th overall pick for a 29 year old linebacker who hasn't played in 2 years with an enormous contract???

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ya this build isn't to be realistic as much as to show what potential deals we could make, and then assembling them all into one draft. When I do mocks with a lot of dealing they start out big and then whittle down with each version. This build focused on getting QBs in trades and moving them around for more picks, which kind of shows how we could move around in the draft. The next build will probably focus more on getting all picks instead of the QB shuffle.

However, with this build much of it could be possible if executed correctly. It would just take a lot of things going right and luck. And a good deal maker.

#9 ouchy, Jan 5, 2021
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Appreciate the work put into this but if your going to let other teams draft those type of impact players, I would select Micah Parsons from Penn State.

ouchy likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mosley has made the probowl every year except the hamstring year last season. The last game he played was week 6 last season, so its really been a year and half.

Any team that trades for him gets him for 5.8 million in 2021. That is extremely cheap for a LB of Mosley's caliber. In 2022-23 it goes back up to normal, but if he is a probowler, a game changer, a team wont mind carrying his contract. Because of his guaranteed money Mosley will cost the Jets 55 million over the next 4 seasons, but only cost the team we trade to 43 million over 4 years. Maybe its too much, maybe not. We'll see. Value comes down to what teams need.

Lets remember that Adams was demanding to be the highest paid DB in the league and we still got two 1s, a 3, and a replacement player. Seattle got him cheap this season but now they are going to have to pay him big.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Thats a good option also. DO you mean at the 8th pick - or the 5th.

This crazy build gets us the top rated WR, Edge, and Guard in the draft so we get impact players at positions of need. Just no QBs.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have been more definitive, with the 8th pick.

ouchy likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We are not trading away #2

lmao Ouchy ,,,you want Matt Ryan to come and choke on some big games for us??

Sorry but Fields will make you smile on the 11th and you will forget this nonsense

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Difference in age and contract is huge. Avery Williamson (who is obviously not as good as Mosely) was traded with a 7th for a 5th.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't think you read it.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In both your Trade scenarios with Atlanta we get a lot of picks and Matt Ryan right?

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Williamson had just come back from 14 months on IR for a torn ACL, and was in the last year of his contract. The steelers made that deal knowing they were only getting him for 8 games (plus postseason).

#18 ouchy, Jan 5, 2021
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Read pick #12 - Ryan gets traded to SanFran.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the Bengals traded a top 5 pick for a MLB that hasn’t played 2 straight years they should be contracted immediately.

Jonathan_Vilma and b.reyes16 like this.