MLB Offseason Thread 2006-2007

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by FITM, Oct 31, 2006.

1. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

The Orioles, according to a team source, began preliminary discussions with Washington Nationals left fielder Alfonso Soriano, and were floored by the free agent's initial contract outline. According to the source, Soriano is seeking a deal similar to the seven-year, $119 million deal given to center fielder Carlos Beltran by the Mets before the 2005 season.
    -- Washington Post

Orioles pitcher Kris Benson will likely decide this week whether he will ask the Orioles to trade him, as is his right as a veteran traded in the middle of a multi-year contract, according to agent Gregg Clifton.
    -- Washington Post

Barry Bonds' agent does not buy into the theory that most teams will treat Bonds like a leper this winter. To the contrary, Jeff Borris sounds ready to market Bonds aggressively, not to five teams, nor 10, nor even 15.
    -- San Francisco Chronicle

The Yankees are open to seeing what soon-to-be free agent right-hander Jeff Suppan, who played a big part in the Cardinals' improbable journey to a World Series title, is looking for.
    -- New York Post

The Yankees' auction of Gary Sheffield has progressed to the point that general manager Brian Cashman has a potential deal in place if he wishes to pull the trigger, an official from another American League team told Newsday yesterday. But Cashman is not quite ready to make a trade. The Yankees seem inclined to wait at least a little longer with the hope that the market for Sheffield improves.
    -- Newsday

Agent Jeff Barry insisted it's Mark Buehrle's preference to remain with the White Sox despite persistent rumors that he wants to become a free agent and sign with his hometown St. Louis Cardinals.
    -- Chicago Tribune

Agent Paul Kinzer insisted the Cubs remain Aramis Ramirez's first choice. They'll retain exclusive negotiating rights to him until the free-agent signing period begins on Nov. 11. But the Angels already have indicated that Ramirez will be their primary free-agent target, and the Dodgers are expected to join in the bidding as well.
    -- Chicago Tribune

Although the Tigers could always renew inquiries about two big hitters they considered during July's trade-deadline discussions: outfielders Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano. Detroit more likely would pursue first baseman Aubrey Huff of Houston, another player the Tigers considered before he departed Tampa Bay for the Astros in a July trade
    -- Detroit News

The Mets have two first-rate trading chips in Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman and may use them, in the same or separate deals, to acquire the pitcher they desire. With their surplus of starting pitching, the White Sox would be an attractive trading partner. Chicago would like to open a rotation slot for Brandon McCarthy and would not hesitate to trade Javier Vázquez or Freddy García.
    -- New York Times

Few industry people expect Jason Schmidt to wind up with the Mets, because the righthander, who turns 34 in January, lives in Washington State and is said to enjoy the West Coast. Yesterday, however, one of Schmidt's agents said the Mets -- and any other East Coast team -- shouldn't count themselves out. -- Newsday

Playing for the Mets appeals to Adam Kennedy. Another second base option could be Rich Aurilia.
    -- New York Post

A potential destination for Ryan Klesko is San Francisco, where he would re-unite with manager Bruce Bochy.
    -- San Diego Union-Tribune

In an effort to increase team speed, the Rockies began their serious run at San Diego Padres free-agent outfielder Dave Roberts on Monday. Roberts fits their need for a center fielder and leadoff hitter with base-stealing ability. And he's open to the Rockies, especially since the Padres haven't initiated talks to bring him back.
    -- Denver Post

Angels pitching coach Bud Black will interview for the San Diego managerial job Wednesday, Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said.

#1 FITM, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Freddy Garcia is just what the Mets need.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade either Heilman or Milledge straight up for either of those White Sox pitchers, never mind package them. I'm sure this isn't the last of the ridiculous rumors we'll be subjected to this offseason.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't mind seeing us getting Schmidt and packaging Milledge and Heilman for an ace (not the crap the White Sox have), that would be a strong 1-2 punch

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I don't see how anyone can call Garcia crap. He is goot for 220 IP. And that is exactly what the Mets need.

He is as good if not better then Zito.

6. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

I'd like Heilman for Garcia, with the Mets picking up the tab, but they'd probably have to add in some more.

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

Garcia is a righty with a shrinking K/9 rate that gives up alot of hits and HRs. Just by virtue of being a lefty Zito is more valuable then Garcia.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He is already fading, and doesn't throw nearly as hard as he used to, he throws a few more innings per year than Zito, but his ERA isn't close to Zito, added to the fact that Zito is a lefty, and I don't think that Garcia is worth trading Milledge or Heilman away especially since the White Sox have his value way too high, they would ask for both of them for him

9. FITM

Sounds like a certain someone we just got rid of...

10. 3rdAnd15Draw

Well, that's not really fair either. At least Garcia doesn't walk people. I suppose I would do Heilman for Garcia but I don't think there's any way the White Sox would.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why would the Mets give up a valuable piece for a pitcher who is not as good as someone they could just throw money at? Zito should no doubt be one of the two new starters needed in the next years rotation..

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think it's a shame Ramirez filed for free agency because I don't want any part of him now. He can bugger off to the Angels and rot for all I care. We need team players.

That said, I retract it all if he re-signs before the free agency signing period starts.

13. FITM

Because, the Mets don't just throw money at people for the hell of it.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

oh no? could've fooled me. Since when?

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Id be real careful about that garcia character

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

His stats strongly suggest otherwise.

The Yankees should keep as far away from Zito as possible (as evidenced by his huge ERA against the Red Sox, his highest against any team except for the Yankees themselves) but if I were the Mets I'd pursue him. The NL East isn't exactly the most deadly hitting division in baseball and he'd be almost guaranteed at least a huge first season as NL hitters get used to laying off that curveball.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Cashman signs Suppan (unless it's for the league minimum), then he should be fired on the spot.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hmmmm Adam Kennedy, I think I like it although Aurillia had a real nice season last year and his parents live in NJ so he might be a guy the Mets target.

19. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

can somene post stats on kennedy,aurilia and lugo for us to discuss.my cellphone would make the stats look all jumbled.

20. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Mets | Glavine close to two-year deal with team
    Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:42:04 -0800

ESPN.com reports the New York Mets and SP Tom Glavine are "deep in discussions" on a two-year, $25 million contract, according to reports in the New York Daily News.

Yankees | Suppan interests Steinbrenner
    Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:56:46 -0800

ESPNews reports the New York Yankees may be interested in talking with free-agent SP Jeff Suppan (Cardinals) once the negotiating period with teams begins.