Mixing up the Covid Vaccines

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by bicketybam, Jan 4, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

To be clear, I don't want a discussion that is political.

I'm wondering if there are people here that went with one manufacturer for the 2 initial doses and then decided to get another manufacturer's vaccine for the booster.

For the first two vaccine shots I opted for Pfizer. Yesterday I went for the booster and even through I had signed up for another Pfizer I decided to ask if they had a Moderna booster that they could give me. They did and that's what I opted for based on the things I've read on the internet. The pharmacist said it was perfectly ok.

I had very mild reactions to the first two Pfizer shots and was expecting to get "hit hard" by Moderna. Not the case. I had a sore arm at the injection site and that was it. Maybe I was a little achy but at my age I'm always achy, lol.

Has anyone else mixed it up? I'm curious as to what your experience was.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I haven’t, but have heard that it’s perfectly ok.

I also had a question about boosters. My understanding is that you wait at least 6 months After your 2nd shot. Does that still hold true?

barfolomew and bicketybam like this.
  3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Astra Zeneca for first two, Pfizer for the second. No effects at all. I'll have Moderns and J&J too if they like.

MoWilkBeast and bicketybam like this.
  4. bicketybam

I believe so. I had to enter the date of my last vaccine in order to get mine scheduled. It was back in April so I was more than ok.

My step daughter is home now with Covid. Went to a house party at UNH on NYE. She has not been boostered but her symptoms are extremely mild. I'm guessing Omicron. She's also 20 and in decent shape.

My ex got it a few days before Christmas. Lost smell and taste and it laid her out for almost 2 weeks. I'm guessing Delta. Definitely hit her way harder than my step daughter.

As a 54 year old I'm happy I got the booster. I have no issues with getting vaccinated. I have yet to have an adverse reaction and in my mind it's better than being unvaxxed and getting Covid. YMMV.

5. typeOnegative13NY

Hope everyone recovers soon! Anyone saying they don’t feel well is scary these days . Hopefully in a couple of weeks numbers start to recede. Yeah,I’ll definitely get the booster, but not due til March. My wife is due now.

bicketybam likes this.
  6. bicketybam

The ex is finally recovered. My step daughter says she feels fine except for a runny nose.

I am fairly confident in saying that my ex would have most likely been hospitalized if it weren't for the 2 vaccines she got. She was very close to going to the hospital and is definitely "at risk." She's overweight and has high blood pressure.

My 18 year old nephew is unvaxxed and he got Covid in June. He said it was the sickerst he's ever felt in his life. He recovered after a few weeks and remains unvaccinated. He's the only one that isn't vaccinated in my immediate family.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Avoid J&J at all costs.....:D

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

My doc told me to stick with Moderna for what its worth. Not that I'm running out to get boosted anytime soon. But he said its proven to be the most effective so far. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

9. typeOnegative13NY

Hell yeah you do. The o line should tell you all you know about things getting through

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am glad someone got the sarcasm.....

11. bicketybam

But Woody has absolutely nothing to do with J&J. Wait, they do share the last name!

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Announced today, the CDC recommends a booster at 5 months for people who had the Pfizer. It still is 2 months for J&J and 6 months for Moderna.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0104-Pfizer-Booster.html

bicketybam and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  13. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

NZ has just shifted down to 4 months for Pfizer to try and get ahead of Omicron before it spreads here.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Same here. Felt like shit for 24 hours after first dose but nothing other than a slightly sore arm after that. Two of my kids have had Covid - Delta and Omicron strains I'd guess with the timing. I didn't get it despite being in pretty close proximity to both just prior to them getting symptoms and testing positive.

15. bicketybam

I hope your kids are ok.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My initial shots were Moderna which seems to be the most effective by a hair. When I went to get the booster I tried to get Pfizer to possibly broaden the effect but the Walgreens I went to did not have it available, so I'm a three time Moderna man.

17. bicketybam

My wife is opting for a third Moderna shot as well.

From what I've been reading if you got an mRNA vaccine the first two times you can pick the other if you want (which is what I did.) If you got the J&J/Janssen the first time you should definitely opt for an mRNA vaccine as a booster. Studies show that it boosts antibody levels much higher than getting the J&J booster.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Totally fine both of them with no worse symptoms than a mild cold. Just one of the weird things about this virus. Some people it has no effect on, while for others it really plays havoc with their immune response. Some families don't seem to spread it easily, while others I know of it seems to run rampage through - and they've all had it multiple times. Don't know whether it's viral load related or whether there is something that makes some people more susceptible to catching it or getting seriously ill.

donkey and bicketybam like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

20. typeOnegative13NY

I’ve wanted to ask this for a while…I know we have some on here in the med field.

Is there any chance that omicron is less lethal, and could be the start of it morphing into an endemic we can live with?