MisterMoss' and T-Bird's (pg. 2) Training Camp Report and Photos 7/28 Morning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MisterMoss, Jul 28, 2006.

1. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

First of all, before I begin, and big F.U. to the Jets TC people. It's 85 degrees and ridiculously humid, and all they had is one water station which ran out after 30 minutes. In previous year, they had about 5 water stands in the seating area, now just one. So they're not going to be in Hempstead in 2 years, and now they refuse to hydrate their fan base. And to top it all off, they had employees selling drinks while walking around in front of everybody. For those keeping score, I didn't buy. Awesome :sad:

Now, to the festivities...

NOW THAT'S A PRACTICE!!

Camp started at 8:45, and finished at 11:10. That's almost 2 and a half hours. The typical Herm practice was about 1:30-1:45 on average, closer to 1:45.

I spent most of my time with a gentleman seated next to me. Very good knowledge of the Jets, came all the way from PA to see this practice. Hat's off to him. He's a member at Jetsaddicts. Very respectful :up:

I spent a lot of time just getting a feel for the new things going on. It was pretty interesting. One of the greatest moments in the practice was when the players were actually allowed to HIT each other. IMAGINE THAT!!! The offense and defense lined up across each other, about 20 yards apart, and they had 1 on 1s where the defense had to tackle the offensive ballcarrier. And boy did we get some hits. Victor Hobson and Trevor Johnson had some nice plays during that drill. On offense, Justin Miller (as a KR) blew by the defense every time. Cedric Houston showed some guts staying on his feet despite tacklers around him. Same goes for Brad Smith. It was a pleasure to watch that drill, and probably set a tone for the practice.

Also another Mangini thing that I saw for the first time was the 2nd team offense had to run a lap around BOTH fields after a bad series. Rather than the Herm, "Go get'em next time, MEN!!" mantra, Bollinger led his squad of 11 around the fields :rofl2:

Random note: Why are the coaches wearing black shirts in the middle of summer heat? I learned in 3rd grade that white repels the heat while the black attracts it, or something like that.

Moving on...

THE STORY WHICH YOU WILL SEE EVERYWHERE...

Chad Pennington had one of the most discouraging practices I've ever seen. He repeatedly underthrew his receivers, had an obviously disgraceful arm...It was really sad to watch his demise. He threw 2 INTS on 11-11s. One which Vilme returned for a TD on a short pass to the sideline, and another INT as well, i forgot to whom though. He threw one long TD to Cotchery down the sideline. Great move by Cotchery. He had a great day.

Now to what you all want to hear. Kellen Clemens. He was the most impressive QB of the four today. The kid really has an arm, he made some impressive throws. I really don't know how else to put it. He was able to squeeze balls through tight spots, and he also led his receivers well. I'm really looking forward to seeing him more this summer. He was definitely the best of the bunch.

Patrick Ramsey. This kid has an arm. He really really does. He has a decent touch on them too, but can get wild at times. He had Coles deep for a sure TD wayyy down field, but overthrew him by almost 5 yards. I can remember another instant where he overthrew as well. Kind of fits the description we have of him. I would classify his day as pretty good. The guy defending Coles on that play was Andre Maddox. Not cool

Brooks Bollinger. I didn't pay too much attention to him while he was behind center. He's not very significant to the Jets QB situation at this point, so I took that time to focus on other areas.

Other players...

D'brickashaw- It's difficult to follow the lineman during 11-11s because the defense is constantly changing their ends, and a lot is happening at once. I caught a glimpse of him a few times and the person I was seated next to was focusing on him as well, and he did open some eyes on day one. It's hard to take anything out of one day, and we'll learn more from preseason games as he goes up against the #1 RE on the Offensive line consistantly. Same goes for Mangold He held his ground vs. Robertson. One thing I need to do next time I head out to camp this week is focus on Mangold vs. Robertson.

Tim Dwight- nice player. He can do a lot of things. He has good instincts on the field, and did make some plays in the passing game. Good addition :up:

Derrick Blaylock- I liked him last year, and I like him this year. He looks to be 100% after his season-ending injury last year. He's very very quick, shifty. You guys know enough about him.

Cotchery- I am definitely a Cotchery fan. He's really very talented, and could do everything that a receiver should do. He can catch the pass over the middle/slands and stuff. He's tall enough to succeed over the middle. He also has the speed to burn you deep, as evidenced by his 70 yard TD reception. He's a keeper.

Justin McCairens- Now you're going to say, "Wasn't he put on the PUP list?" Well yes he was. He was practicing with one of the ballboys on the other field. He looks very gimpy. He wasn't going fast at all, couldn't go into an extra gear to catch a ball in front of him. He has some work to do.

Bryan Thomas- as predicted, he was spotted standing up as an outside LB in the 3-4 defense. He got stood up a couple of times, but he looks like he has a decent physique for that position. One thing we saw from Camp Mangini was the different defense styles. It was difficult to keep track of as a spectator, so imagine looking at it if you're on offense :)

The Tight Ends, Doug Jolley, Dreesen, and Chris Baker were all very good in the passing game. Very good. They got themselves open downfield, and had the size to fight off defenders on passes over the middle. Those three are a very good group.

Andre Dyson looks to be a solid corner, as you all know. In general, all of the CBs got their hands on a lot of balls defending the pass. A lot of passes got broken up, which is ab absolute positive.

Special Teams are going to be a strength of this team. Nugent and Graham didn't kick today to my knowledge, but they had coverage drills in the middle of practice, and with the amount of young guys on this team who are willing to work, it was predictable to see the effort shown on special teams, and that's what it's all about.

Enjoy digging through this. I know you guys have been looking forward to it. Feel free to discuss anything...

Here is the link to the photos. Very unimpressive, but so is my camera.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

wow, thanks alot Moss, great post, but where are the pictures?

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Man what a recap. Very good job MM, thanks for the update.

I am however a little pissed that there's nothing in there about James Dearth.

Penny's fall from grace continues....Let's usher in the new era.

4. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Thanks for the infor MM.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

HAH, MM. . . you're not just a pretty face.

6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Sweet report. Thanks for taking the time.

7. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

Mistermoss, that was a great post, you could have a future in reporting. Thanks:)

8. Mr.ThirdDown

Mr.ThirdDown New Member

Nice job, that was a great recap and a very interesting read. Its a shame to hear about Pennington though.

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Very nice report. Good job.

10. baamf

baamf Active Member

Nice !!!! Thanks....

11. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I appreciate the gratitude fellas.

Here is the link to my pictures. That's all in full zoom and it's lousy. Nothing to write home about, but that's what I got. In one of the pictures, you will see Sal Paolantonio, from ESPN.

12. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Thanks!

Bad news about Chad. Hopefully he was just really off today, but that doesn't sound good at all.

#12 NYJets38, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2005
  13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Nice to see they got the women into it too...

14. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

thanks for the very informative report. Keep up the great work.

#14 notajduhe, Jul 28, 2006
  15. jetsrule128

jetsrule128 Banned

Also another Mangini thing that I saw for the first time was the 2nd team offense had to run a lap around BOTH fields after a bad series. Rather than the Herm, "Go get'em next time, MEN!!" mantra, Bollinger led his squad of 11 around the fields

yeah i told my dad they want to get brooks as far a way as possible

16. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

you the man MisterMoss

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Hey, thanks, MM. If it makes you feel any better, I'm looking at your pics in the complete discomfort of my sweltering livingroom.

18. baamf

baamf Active Member

[​IMG]

Damn, I heard Ellis lost some weight but he looks svelte in this picture...

#18 baamf, Jul 28, 2006
  19. Tight

Tight Active Member

Mistermoss, your the F**ing best. Hell yah @ this !

20. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Nice work here. You painted the picture. You told it like it was. It was better than Cats.