Mike LaFleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 3, 2022.

1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Didn't see a general MLF thread so thought I'd make one.

For the first time in what feels like decades, we have a competent OC who is promising and will be back next year. Has really been able to work with whatever we have offensively and show very encouraging signs of promise.

Really looking forward to seeing him have an entire offseason to work with and sculpt the offense he wants to run while getting more talent.

BudJet, IDFjet, Brook! and 9 others like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I love his offense and how he calls the game. I am used to other teams keeping our defense off balance. His ability to call plays that get players to the edge sets up the entire offense. Berrios and Moore on the sweep as well as Carters ability to turn the corner allows the running plays up the middle to work. The beauty of his system is everything looks the same.

What is really impressive is ML is doing this with no personal, an injured weak OL, no TEs that can run or pass block, without skill players and with a rookie QB trying to learn his way.

What also has impressed about ML has been his ability to adapt and change. Flexibility has never been a strong point of our coaching. Moving away from 12 personal because of our TE problem and running less PA because of ZW issues reading defenses quickly were big important changes by ML.

I am excited to see what he can do with a healthier offense, with explosive skill players, better TEs and a better Wilson. Not to mention a better defense. Not playing from behind really will help the offense.

BudJet, IDFjet, NCJetsfan and 8 others like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The offense has started to take the shape of the 49ers offense which puts players in the right position to succeed regardless of who they are. Insert X running back and he’s going to gain yards.

It’s been exciting to see for sure as we’re not watching the Tony Sparano and Marty Mornhinweg bullshit we’ve been accustomed to seeing for the past decade.

Now we need to add some more weapons including a real tightend and an explosive receiver. The offensive line finally looks like they understand the zone blocking scheme. Block an area and if a guy comes into that area, push him where his momentum is taking him.

Mogriffjr, Brook!, SOJAZ and 8 others like this.
  4. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Yankjetfan likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The amount of presnap motion we used yesterday was straight out of the San Francisco playbook. I totally agree, we are slowly starting to see the way it’s supposed to be run and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s coming in a stretch where the rookie quarterback looks like he finally figured out how to play in the NFL. It’s not even just the design of the offense that has me extremely optimistic about MLF, it’s the fact that he’s calling the right plays at the right time. I thought he got a little too vanilla yesterday with some first down runs up the middle, but for the most part he’s been great at feeling the flow of the game and knowing where to attack, when.

Very excited for him to actually have a competent roster of players to work with next season when we hopefully have everyone healthy plus a tight end, WR1 and some improvements on the OL

NCJetsfan, Brook!, SOJAZ and 7 others like this.
  6. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

he has been EXCELLENT

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yeah. But we were skewering him in the 1st half of the season. I'm glad he's worked out.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Probably a good job Saleh didn't fire him after 3/4 games in line with the perceived TGG wisdom at that time I'd say.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This right here. There were some bumps along the way early on but those are to be expected from a first time play-caller.

I'm really hoping JD continues to add pieces to this offense in the offseason because I would love to see what LaFleur can do with even more talent at WR, TE, and RB.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It was clear there would be some growing pains given he had never called plays before. What matters is he learns from mistakes and shows growth throughout the season.

Jets79, IDFjet, dmw and 1 other person like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Shocking that the geniuses on TGG might’ve been a bit quick with their pitchforks.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

In all fairness, we were firing everyone at that time. I think there was a thread for the ball boy too!

Jets79, dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Move to the booth changed everything

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

yeah i thought this would be a fire MLF thread

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This is hilarious , in the beginning everyone hated him, wanted him fired, now they love him , this fanbase!!!!

dmw likes this.
  16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You guys understand that people are allowed to change their opinions as they get more information on a topic right?

If the offense continued to look the way it looked early in the season, would you have been pleased with his performance?

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've never been a fan of WCO based offenses because they seem to be overcomplicated just for the sake of it. The terminology is like language created at the circus and the motions are sometimes infuriating unless the QB is a really smooth operator under center.

That said, MLF made changes to some of his rookie mistakes and we're seeing the benefits. He has a pretty solid support structure to call back on for advice, including a big brother who is HC of the baddest team in the land currently.

I personally didn't think he would be fired, didn't really think he should be fired but damn, he sucked at the beginning of the season and deserves some of the vitriol he got for it. I guess that bothers some people.

19. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I think LaFleur has done a good job. I still say that Ulbrich needs to go. With the way he calls defenses, we'd be dead last in the league with the 85 Bears or 03 Bucs defenses!

boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sure, you understand how silly it is to start a fire so and so thread 2 games into a career right?

No I wouldn’t have been pleased but that’s why I wait til I have enough information.