Mike Francesa is ‘hearing rumblings’ Woody Johnson may sell Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 14, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

https://elitesportsny.com/2022/09/14/mike-francesa-is-hearing-rumblings-woody-johnson-may-sell-jets/

Mike Francesa’s latest chat with Mike Tannenbaum took an interesting turn.

The WFAN legend was yakking with the ex-Jets general manager on Wednesday’s edition of his BetRivers podcast when Mr. T’s old boss came up. Is Woody Johnson truly invested in the Jets? Because the big guy has reason to wonder.

“I’ve been hearing rumblings that the franchise could be sold in the next couple of years, from people who should know things,” Francesa said.

Tannenbaum said he believes the apparent rumors are “probably nonsense.” He added he felt the Johnson family was always all-in during his time in the front office. And Francesa said he does not understand why anyone would sell an NFL team given how profitable a business it is. But then again, it’s not like the Johnsons — chiefly Woody and his brother, Christopher — need the money. And this is not the first time there has been a whiff of Jets sale talk.

Woody has been back at the helm for close to two years now after his adventure as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom (Chris ran the show from 2017-20 in his absence). He did not sound like a man who intended to sell earlier this year at the NFL owners meeting. But he also made a run at the Premier League’s Chelsea when Roman Abramovich was forced to sell.

Could Woody have bought another multi-billion dollar team while owning the Jets? Sure. He’s worth roughly $6 billion himself, according to the various outlets that assess how rich the super rich are. But you have to wonder if he could have tried to offload the Jets had he won the bidding for Chelsea.

Also worth noting: The Jets will have windows to break their MetLife Stadium lease after the 2025 and 2030 seasons. If Johnson sells, it is highly doubtful a new owner will be keen to keep playing in a concrete air conditioner that is far removed from a large portion of the fanbase. If the sales process starts relatively soon, the new owner would have a fighting chance to get a new stadium project up and running for a 2031 move-in. Or Johnson could keep the team and build his own stadium. Who knows.

“It’s hard to read them, if they’re really into it,” Francesa said. “I think that’s what the fans wonder … do they really care? Some owners, it’s easy to tell when they care. Maybe they care too much. It’s hard to tell with the Jets.”

Hard to tell if this is legitimate or not but we can always hope, right?

Royal Tee, BrowningNagle and Poeman like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Time for an avatar change.

Zach, REVISion, Jojo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Give us a name you want Jets to be sold and we will change it. I like this new Mets owner. My new slogan will be as below if he is a Jets fan as well.

"Buy the Jets Steve Cohen"

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's the kind of rebuild I can get behind... ;)

jackie1013 likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Let's bloody hope so.

jackie1013 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Please do this Johnsons ...you have had a half interest in satisfying fans and building a winner but are 100% all in on that 300 million return on an investment in the Metro NY market. The Jets are just another product . like ointment for diaper rash . Get it??

jackie1013 likes this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

“In the next few years”. Sounds about right. That’s usually what we are told when waiting on success

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like the concept of an owner that will spend but Cohen is just so slimy.

The NFL is also much different in that you can’t just spend your way into a winner completely like the NFL. Although it does help.

I kind of want someone who disappears behind the scenes and spends quietly.

dmw, papapump and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So the Johnsons are not slime balls really? They grifted the Fanbase for decades with promises ...Steve C is a vast improvement over the Dumdass Brothers, please.

jackie1013 likes this.
  10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay. Don't follow baseball so I take your word for it. I was also half joking.

What I want is an owner who created his wealth on his own instead of a trust fund baby. Let's try self made billionaire for a change and see what happens in this new age.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I nominate Elon

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

We need an inside job where we can get create a toxic work environment

REVISion likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If this is anything like Francesca’s picks the team will be in the Johnson family for eternity

15. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

we had that already it didn’t work

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I started reading and was hoping it would say next couple of weeks not years

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Try again!

jackie1013 likes this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t need my owner to be a choir boy. Stevie Cohen wants to win and will accept nothing less. Obviously he’s still new into his Mets ownership so we’ll see how it works out and baseball is different but it would be nice to have an owner that there was no doubt that winning and the franchise being the best at everything was his main priority.

It’s pretty moot anyway as Steve Cohens lifelong dream was to own the Mets and likely would have no interest in saving the Jets.

azhar80 and REVISion like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Meh. Shad Khan was passionate about winning and turning the Jaguars into winners with no stone unturned in terms of finances. He is in the same net worth category as Cohen.

You can’t throw money at football just like you throw money at baseball. Football is much more like running a business. You can just spend your dick off and get to the playoffs every year in the MLB.

20. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Johnsons can sell the team to Moderna so we can see an even shittier product on the field.

Frenbar and Sec124DieHard like this.