Mets Rumors

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AJT73, Dec 14, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So many rumors going on with the Mets. I wish they would make the next move so they can let the rest of the dominoes fall.

A. Don't love the idea of trading Syndagard but him to Boston for Bogarts and Bradley Jr. intrigues me. Probably would want a little more but it gets the Mets two pieces that could help.

B. By doing A it will allow the Mets to trade Rosario or Conforto and it won't kill us to get Realmulto.

That being said I fall on the side of keeping Syndagard signing Grandal trying to trade Lagaras and signing a Pollack or someone like that. Make a few more minor moves start the year and make a move in June or July to improve offensively if need be. Either way it has been fun seeing what is happening and the rumors. Hopefully all this pays off in season and they are competitive and fun to watch.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Parting with Conforto or Thor IMHO would be (i) each a really bad baseball decision and (ii) would further alienate the fan base.

Rather sign Wilson Ramos.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

While it sucks that the Jets play in Metlife at least they don't have to "share it" with the Mets a la Shea.

#jetsroadwarriors

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Thank goodness they signed Ramos instead of potentially moving our young guys and sending the guy to the Yankees that puts them over the top. Time to celebrate!

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Very good signing. Besides not giving up valuable pieces or trading Thor, they also avoid the high draft pick compensation Grandal would have cost. The last time the Mets had a catcher who played at least 70 games and had an OPS as high as Ramos' .840 last year was Mike Piazza in 2002. Still would be nice if they could improve the corner infielders.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Very happy with the signing and like you said gave no one up. Corner infield will be Alonso and Frazier and McNeil playing 5 days at different postions. I'm not worried about that. Though I don't love Frazier I think he'll help in the locker room and we need Alonso to play well. As for me I'd like to see them move Lagares and his 9 million. Sign Pollock, Marwin Gonzales, or Adam Jones or two if we move Lagares and get an Andrew Miller or another good releiver. Our o would be improved and the bullpen. Go into the season hopefully be competitive and then in July if we are in it add another piece or two. We'll see but for the first time in a long time there is promise for the Mets and BVW has been creative in doing so. It was the only way the Mets could get competitive because the Wilpon's won't spend and that is a bigger issue and why they need to go.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I invented that.

8. statjeff22

Angels sign Harvey to a 1-year $11 million contract. Don't see this getting them any closer to Houston and Oakland, but who knows.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If he keeps his head on straight he could help. Probably a 10-15 win pitcher on a great year. I think he goes 10-5 to 10-7 for them. The injuries really hurt him. We'll see if this offseason he changes his approach and isn't as much of a fireballer. Times in sports it's best for an orginization and a player to part. Harvey and the Mets were one of those examples. Both sides seem to have done things wrong to each other. Can't say that I love Harvey but 2015 was special so we can remember him for that. After that it went south. I wish him luck and happy he is not with the Yankees or an NL East to come back and haunt us.

10. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Harper to the Dodgers? They traded Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig and Alex Wood to the red. Puig in particular gotta be tight going from from LA to Cincinnati.

11. statjeff22

He just signed with St. Louis, so unfortunately they can't get the Andrew Miller. I still haven't changed my view that they need help at the corner infielders - Alonso had a great year in the minors and could be the answer, but we've heard similar things before about people like Smith, who has turned out to be terrible. I'm not a believer in Frazier at all - his slugging percentages since 2015 have been .498, .464, .428, .390. The trend seems clear, and the Mets need way more production that that from third base

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Well he actually was a solid pitcher for the Reds...I think a full offseason to strengthen that shoulder could reap benefits. I'm not expecting a Verlander like comeback but I think he'll enter next offseason wanting a multi year deal (3-4 years/60-75 mill)

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

A fourth unknown team has entered the Manny Machado sweepstakes. Could Brodie have convinced the Wilpon's to spend? Be great if it happens. Ok I just woke up from my dream. This is the Mets we are talking about. Back to normal. JD Davis here we come.

14. statjeff22

What possible reason would Machado have to choose the Mets over the Yankees? The only thing is massive piles of money, and the Mets aren't going to do that.

Red Menace and stinkyB like this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I feel like if the Mets are going to surprise us and sign a big name player, it should be Harper.

16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Harper fan. But I'll take it.

17. endydee

endydee Active Member

And then the alarm clock goes off and it’s time to go to work.

stinkyB, Sam Hammer and Red Menace like this.