Mets 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Hopefully the sting has worn off a little.

Mets Free Agents:

P Chad Bradford
    P Tom Glavine*
    P Orlando Hernandez
    P Roberto Hernandez
    P Guillermo Mota
    P Darren Oliver
    P Steve Trachsel

OF Endy Chavez+
    C Mike DiFelice
    OF Cliff Floyd
    OF Ricky Ledee
    OF Michael Tucker
    2B Jose Valentin
    2B Chris Woodward

+ Arbitration-eligible
    * Denotes player and/or club option

I love Cliff, but don't think he needs to be back on the team. Endy needs to be kept. I don't know if he's an every day player, but he makes a great defensive replacement, and can fill in for stretches in case of injury to a starter. Maybe platoon him with Green.

Valentin caught lighting in a bottle this season, but Omar needs to upgrade the position. Julio Lugo, Soriano?

Woodward is a nifty bench player, but can be replaced.

Glavine needs to figure out if he wants to get to 300 wins with the Mets or Atlanta. If he wants to walk he can, the Mets will be on the hook for 14 Million to keep him. He's good, but not that good.

Trachsel, see ya.

El Duque might be worth hold onto.

Mota, Bradford and Hernandez I want back. Darren Oliver too, if he's not that expensive, but if he walks for a big payday I wont fault Omar for not keeping him.

#1 priorities:

#1 starter. Zito, Zito, Zito. If not Zito, then somebody who's under 30 and has pedigree. If that means trading Hileman and Milledge for Dontrelle Willis, so be it.

2nd Base

Bench. Our 50 year old fill in 1st baseman isn't cutting it. Good guy in the clubhouse, good tutor to the young guys, but we need somebody who can come off the bench and spark the team, much like Endy did all year.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I like your thinking when it comes to guys like Glavine and Floyd.

As far as the signings I'd like to see;

Starting pitching; Obviously Zito. That is priority #1. If they let Glavine walk they need to get a #2 as well. Who that #2 would be ? I have no idea

2nd base; I'd really like to get Grudzielanek, seriously. He is a vet, good clubhouse guy and put up good numbers in KC last year. Obviously he's not our 2nd baseman of the future but he's an upgrade over Jose. I would say Soriano but I just don't see us grabbing him.

LF; I'd let Cliff walk. I'd go after Raul Ibanez. A power hitting left fieldre who seems to be the most underrated player in the game. Look at his career #s they are very good and he's a New Yorker and he'd also reunite with Beltran. He also seems like an Omar guy, a latin New Yorker that can play.

Opening Day Lineup

SS Reyes
    C Lo Duca
    CF Beltran
    1B Delgado
    3B Wright
    LF Ibanez
    RF Green/Milledge
    2B Grudzielanek
    P Zito

3. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Here's nothing but a rumor...remember RUMOR.

4. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Let's say you sign Zito, what do you think your rotation will look like?

Maybe:

Zito
    Glavine
    Maine
    Perez
    Pelfrey

And then Pedro comes back in July

5. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Probably not til August with Pedro, then he gets injured again.

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We should move Heilman to the rotation

7. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Cliff Floyd - The injury-prone 33 year-old hit just .244/.324/.407 this season. With Lastings Milledge and Endy Chavez under contract for next year, the Mets are very unlikely to retain Floyd. Maybe Floyd will take a Jermaine Dye type deal - two years, about $10MM plus an option. Cubs GM Jim Hendry goes way back with Floyd, so the team is a possible suitor.

8. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Endy Chavez isn't technichally under contract, though, just arbitration.

9. SonofDinger

Is Shawn Green under contract for next year?

10. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I think he is.

Edit:

2006: $8 million, 2007: $9.5 million, 2008: $10 million mutual option w/$2 million buyout, 2009: Free Agent

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

There has to be a better option available then Green in RF. With Arizona paying about half(i think) of his 2007 salary it shouldn't hurt the Mets too much to just eat this years salary if they have ot. I refuse to believe that Omar can't find a better player to stick in RF then someone who can't play defense and has no power.

I like Ibanez in LF if the Mariners let him go but a cheaper option to consider is David Dellucci. Only knock on him is he's never really been a "full time" player, I'm not sure if that's due to injury or teams just not having a place for him. He's put up great numbers 2 years in a row though.

12. SonofDinger

He was a full-time player for the Rangers in 2004, hitting about 30 homers and posting a .420 OBA. He's a good player who deserves a chance to get 500 ABs, but the Mets should acquire one sure-thing corner outfielder. Then you can platoon Milledge and Chavez.

13. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

need to get rid of lastings for a pitcher

14. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Not going to be able to deal him for a #1 guy straight up.

15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Depending on what the "something else" is, a Heilman for Jennings or Westbrook trade is very interesting.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hmm that would be an interesting trade but I think any move they made would be based on signing Zito. I don't like a trade in which Jennings or Westbrook are our #1.

This rotation certainly would be solid. I think as a Met fan I'm starting to think of life without Pedro because even when he comes back how effective can he be?

Zito
    Westbrook/Jennings
    Glavine
    Maine
    Bannister/Perez

17. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Mets M*A*S*H report:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/wires/10/23/2010.ap.bbn.mets.surgeries.0155/

18. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Mets 2007: Our Team. Our Town.

I'm not bitter anymore. I was disappointed, but not devastated.
    I'm still dealing with a postseason hangover, but with Sundays like this past one...it should get better every week.

If I was Omar, these are the options I would explore:

A-"Convince" Soriano to play 2nd again, and to hit between JoseJoseJose and Carlos I. Sure he was icecold in Yankee postseasons, and he could very well go cold again in Mets postseasons. Based on Florida and Philadelphia's success last year, the race this year is going to be tighter.
    40 homers and 100 rbi's will help create more distance during the regular season.

B-Sign Barry Zito for $80 trillion of Wilpon's fortune...not our money. One of the healthiest pitchers in baseball, reliability is something we don't ever want to see be an issue the day before the playoffs start.

C-Trade Lastings and Heilman for Manny. Sure, we're giving up about 12 years (at least) of playing time versus another 3 tops, youth vs. old...but Manny is Manny. The guy's a savage f'n beast with a stick. And his personality will fit in perfectly in "Rip City."
    (Dreamy)Batting Order: JoseJoseJose, Soriano, Beltran, Manny, Wright, Delgado, Lo Duca, and Green/Chavez(?).

----OR----

C-Trade Lastings, Heilman and Pelfry for the D-Train. Let Endy hang around in LF and Green in RF.

Potential Starting Pitchers with this bank-busting lineup:
    Zito
    D-Train
    Glavine
    Pedro (Darren Oliver can keep the seat warm enough 'til October)
    Oliver Twist
    John Maine
    +__________
    =Yowza! Call Cooperstown and begin constructing the bronze five(6)-headed monster.

Florida won't do it for Pelfry and Milledge alone anymore. Throw in the guy who let Yadier Molina add "NLCS hero" to his moniker.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Milledge and Heilman gets one of the best hitters of our generation but the Mets have to add in Pelfrey to get Willis? Come on now.

20. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Please keep all Mets offseason comments and stuff in this thread. Same with the Yankees thread. No need to have multiple threads about the same thing.