Mercedes locks faster acceleration behind a $1,200 annual paywall

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Nov 24, 2022.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

:mad:The German auto manufacturer is the latest company to offer subscription services for features a vehicle was already capable of.:mad:

[​IMG]

Mercedes is the latest manufacturer to lock auto features behind a subscription fee, with an upcoming “Acceleration Increase” add-on that lets drivers pay to access motor performance their vehicle is already capable of.

The $1,200 yearly subscription improves performance by boosting output from the motors by 20–24 percent, increasing torque, and shaving around 0.8 to 0.9 seconds off 0–60 mph acceleration when in Dynamic drive mode (via The Drive). The subscription doesn’t come with any physical hardware upgrades — instead, it simply unlocks the full capabilities of the vehicle, indicating that Mercedes intentionally limited performance to later sell as an optional extra. Acceleration Increase is only available for the Mercedes-EQ EQE and Mercedes-EQ EQS electric car models.

Source: Mercedes locks faster acceleration behind a yearly $1,200 subscription - The Verge

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's some bullshit

Leicester Jet, Cman68, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's some Armenians in Los Angeles working on the hack...

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m never buying another one ever again

abyzmul likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just wait until they start unlocking the hookers and street rampages. I always wait until the Gatling gun shows up before I start paying