memo to mangini--kick the FG

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mean Green, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Mean Green

Mean Green New Member

11 seconds left and no timeouts you MUST kick the field goal from the 39...unless u heave one to the end zone your only other play is a quick out and praying the player is able to get out of bounds which is a very high risk play..terrible coaching at the end and i hated the fact he punted from the 40 in the first half on fourth and inches

2. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I dunno, I think 11 seconds is plenty to pick up 5-10 yards, then spike the ball. Nugent missed from inside the 40, so I guess Mangini wanted to get him as close as he can.

But yeah, I agree with the punt of 4th-inches at the 40. I think rewards > risk, at that point.

3. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

nugent didnt miss it short

i wanted him to kick it

4. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

My initial reaction was to kick, but it had more to do with who was at QB than the situation in Chad. I really didn't have confidence in Chad being able to safely put us in a closer position. Everything was against him on that play, and we should've known better.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

it's not mangini's fault. Im sure he even said to pennington try a sideline pass but if nothing's there throw it away just DONT THROW A PICK. 11 seconds is enough time to complete a 5-10 yard pass which can be a huge difference for a kicker.

6. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I would have kicked it also even though it's a long shot. Still we should have never been in that situation against a bad bills team.

7. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

39 yd line is one hell of a boot, that's like what, 56+ yds? I would've tried to throw for more like they did, but told chad not to force a throw.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I have no problem with going for that. It was debated heavily in chat, but I do think going for it was the right choice. To quote Hermie, you play to win the game. Give your offense a chance to give Nuge a more makeable field goal. Don't settle.

9. Had Chad not been the QB this may not have even been an issue. We couldnt attempt ONE deep ball during that last drive??

Oh yeah..i forgot...Our QB struggles with anything beyond 15 yard floaters..

10. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

We can debate all day about whether Mangini should or shouldn't have gone for it. The thing is Chad threw a terrible pass and TURNED OVER the football. You just can't do that in that situation. Threw the football away and let the kicker have a chance at a long field goal. Oh by the way Ian Eagle and Soloman Wilcots really SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

11. ANJI

ANJI New Member

That is suppose to be a safe throw, but with noodles every throw is a pick waiting to happen.

12. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The defense had been creeping up all day on the short outs and even picked one off.

There were susceptible to a hitch and go and I would've tried it, all the way up to, and including the last play that was intercepted.

Conservative. Killingly so. Where's all the bravado, Eric? No balls.

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

You definitely don't kick the 56 yarder with 11 seconds left. There could be some debate between having a QB that struggles making those sideline throws throw it, versus a draw play & spike that might pick you up 3 or 4 yards. What killed us on that final drive was three short passes that only picked up a combined 7 yards.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you kick the 56 yarder with 11 seconds to go what you are basically saying is: our QB can't throw reliably downfield and so we're forced to kick the low percentage FG. Mangini could not say that and keep Chad as the starter. Your QB MUST be able to get 7 yards to the sideline when the defense is leaving the middle wide open because a pass there runs out the clock. Chad does not have the velocity to force a pass to the sideline in that situation. The DB's are going to (and did) eat him alive.

15. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

You can't kick the field goal there.

This shouldn't have been risky. We ran a play down the sidelines, and nothing was there. Ball should have been thrown out of bounds. I don't know if it slipped out of his hands, or he just stupidly tried to put it up for grabs, but you have to throw that out of bounds.

Had nothing to do with velocity, the play was covered. But it shouldn't have been a risk running a play there, because he should have been able to easily throw it away if nothing was there.

16. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

The wasted timeouts also killed us, but that throw by Chad is unforgiveable.

TBTF

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

How bout the lack of hustle. Walking back to the line was inexcusable. chad should have had a set of plays ready to go. Wasted the clock.

18. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Baker was WIDE OPEN for 5 yard underneath...he could have easily caught it and gotten OB. Chad's Mistake.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Ummm, Nooge couldn't hit one when we had Buffalo's tails between their legs. Why the hell would Mangini rely on him there?

Yeah, I can see it now. Mangini sends in Nooge, who pathetically misses the kick, after missing the first one, and he gets strung up by everyone for that decision too.

This team sucks top to bottom people. One play did not lose this game.

20. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

but this is the bills. everybody had it marked down as a win in their predictions thread!!! you know, the one where many posters were claiming 10-6 or 11-5 record this year with 2 easy victories over the jills!!!!:shit: