Melvin Gordon III

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Oct 21, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

This guy is a beast. He is Jamaal Charles 2.0 with great speed, yet more power and size. He is a gamechanger and a playmaker. We have not had a great RB here since Martin, and Gordon could definitely change that.

For the past 3 years Ive been banging the RB drum, and we have yet to truly address it through the draft. I loved Doug Martin in 2012, and then Gio Bernard in 2013. Gordon IMO is better than those two with a higher ceiling. I would not be surprised to see him go in the 1st at this point.

Powell is solid, and can do everything pretty well. He isnt a playmaker at the position though, and leaves something to be desired. The team even shifted away from him this week in favor of Ivory. Ivory has looked pretty good, but Im not sure he is the future of the position. He has his durability concerns, and has yet to bring that explosive element that he seemed to have in NO.

Needless to say, I want this guy.

And please dont bring up two very lame arguments- a) Wisconsin RBs never succeed in the NFL- just watch him play. He is the real deal... and b) RBs are a dime a dozen- Ive gotten that same response the last 2-3 years and we still lack a playmaker there while each year we see good RB prospects step in and help contribute in a major way to the respective teams.

[YOUTUBE]TgJ3yMytR5Y[/YOUTUBE]

#1 laxin, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Dammit lol, i wanted to be the first to talk this guy up. You're right a Jamaal Charles clone done to the dreads and the jersey number

He's overtaken Carey as my favorite RB in this draft, mainly because of his speed but he can break tackles too. Just an overall great back who doesn't fit the Wisconsin mold at all. He's explosive averaging about 10 yards per carry (107 carries to 1012 yds) and would be the perfect RB in a west coast offense that Marty is running.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I follow the Big Ten as close as anyone at TGG and Gordon is a nice surprise in 2013, I expected James White to have a big year, but you have to go with the hot player.

I agree that Gordon is a special player, he's a very physical runner that has great vision and a good burst. Usually a runner is good only in a few areas, Gordon has it all. The next best player on Wisconsin is WR, Jared Abbrederis....I'd love for the Jets to look at him with one of our 3rd Round picks.

Wisconsin has another RB on the roster, Corey Clement, he's going to be a solid Rb in the future.

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

Damn.. This guys a beast from what I see

5. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Yeah I agree with Nesquik, I used to like Carey more, but I think I like MGIII more now(can we use that name? haha). He has better size to be a feature back than Carey does, and actually has some nice power that you can see in the video above; trucking a few guys. What round do you guys think he is going in? If we can pull off a trade for a WR at the deadline I would like to hopefully get Ebron and him in the first 2 rounds. The offense would be so exciting.... Also not to get off topic, but what do you guys think about the RT situation for next year seeing as how Howard will be a free agent. Resign him, draft one, go after someone else? Just curious, popped into my head the other day.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Right now, probably early 2nd for Gordon. But with a good 40 time and rest of the season, I really expect him to go in the 1st. He's a better prospect than David Wilson, and possibly Doug Martin (and I loved Martin more than anyone here).

He is going to be something special, by the time the draft rolls around, I would not be surprised if he went around the 16-24 range.

As for the RT, I would definitely resign Howard. He's reliable and solid at the position. No reason to spend a high pick as long as he doesnt command a ton of money.

7. I like his vision, quickness to the hole, lateral movement & burst.

What worries me:
    - Typical Wisconsin blocking up front. You don't see a lot of yards after contact or ability to create.
    - Average breakaway speed
    -Can he catch the football?

He reminds me alittle of Tatum Bell. The "Cut & go" offensive guys like Mike Shanahan & Gary Kubiak will like this guy alot

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Would love to grab a RB in April.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Dude sounds like a beast. I also want us to finally just draft a back but absolutely not in the first round. Go for one in the second at the earliest. I think the days of running backs going in the first round are over.

lets just look at last year's draft

Gio Bernard early 2nd
    Le'Veon Bell mid 2nd
    Montee Ball end 2nd
    Eddie Lacy end 2nd
    Christine Michael late 2nd
    Knile Davis end 3rd
    Jonathan Franklin end 4th
    Marcus Lattimore end 4th
    Denard Robinson early 5th
    Stepfan Taylor early 5th.
    ... few more guys like Randle and Stacy in the 5th
    my boy Andre Ellington didn't get picked until mid 6th.

As of right now if I could take one of these guys and put them on the Jets it would be Le'Veon. I also really like Christine Michael and Jon Franklin. I don't like Ball or Lacy. Anyway, if dudes gonna be a beast take him in the 2nd.

#9 74, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Gio Bernard would be the best choice for the Jets, but it's a moot point.

Gio does everything well, block, catch the ball out of the backfield, solid runner that has a good burst, vision and power when needed.

I know Bell, met him a few times, he went to the same High School as Eric Smith and I've seen him play in Central Ohio many times, he's a real good back. I just don't think he's as well round in all phases of the game as Gio.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

That's weird. I was actually more impressed with his breakaway speed than his lateral movement. Much like Chris Johnson, less like Lesean McCoy IMO.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Looks good on video, but he doesn't have elite breakaway speed. Too many clips of him being caught from behind. Not too many broken tackles. Does a good job at taking advantage of good blocking up front.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Read a tweet today that a source close to Gordon says that he will probably stay for next year and try and make a run at the Heisman. Really unfortunate if true. Would have loved this guy on the Jets.

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I doubt he stays, he's a RB and RB's should never stay if they don't have too. Just look at history you're gonna get banged up (Foster, Rice, Martin, MJD, Spiller, McFadden, Murray, Jackson) don't do it for free if you don't have to.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah, but that doesnt mean that this is what Gordon is thinking. I think its a no brainer that he declares. If he keeps up his great season, he's probably a 1st round pick. As a RB, what more could you ask for. Just look at Matt Barkley and what staying a year in hopes of a goal like a championship/heisman could do.

But like I said, from what I read it doesnt seem Gordon is thinking that way. I hope Im wrong though.

16. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Do you think we'll go RB in the first couple rounds when we have Ivory, Powell, and Goodson? Especially being so thin at WR (assuming Holmes is gone) and TE. I'd rather see the team give Geno a target or two, then grab a free safety and/or an outside linebacker in the 3rd.

17. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Best player available, and who knows how Goodson will do following an ACL injury.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We have other positions to address. Wouldn't mind a RB in the later rounds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

no way we go rb in the first.I'll be very pissed off if we do. don't think idzik is that stupid tho.

20. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Idzik will go BPA. If a running back is BPA when we pick, I wouldn't mind taking him. Having a reliable offensive weapon at running back will definitely help Geno.

By the way, if we drafted him, we'd have Eugene handing the ball of to Melvin. Probably in the bottom 3 in terms of intimidating names.