Mawae to refuse pay cut- per Newsday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Feb 17, 2006.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jets | Mawae will apparently refuse pay cut
    Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:27:31 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets OC Kevin Mawae, coming off surgery to repair a torn left triceps, apparently will refuse to take a pay cut and will ask the Jets to release him if they can't handle his projected $4.5 million cap figure.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Oh well. Just another position on the OLine to be filled in the upcoming draft. I'm wondering if the Jets should just clean house finally...

I guess that "team player" thing stops at the bank teller. :wink:

#2 Cman68, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  3. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

good riddance......we need to rebuild so might as well rebuild EVERYTHING except for Vilma.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

By the time we are finished becoming competive again JV will be way long in the tooth. If I was the GM I would try to trade him now for hi draft picks in the hope they succeed which will make the R/building go much faster

5. #92ShaunIsHotter#92

#92ShaunIsHotter#92 New Member

How long do you expect rebuilding to take? Vilma's only 23 or 24.

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Yep i say trade mawae to a team that is ready to win now and will throw everything to the table this year.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I dont know about that champ...this isnt the NBA when if buidling by the draft..it takes 5 years because a second round pick in the NBA is equal to a 7th round pick in the NFL.

If...if...Mangini/Tannenbaum duo is on their game, this is a 3 year project. This year they will concentrate on the cap and draft picks. I personally have no problem even taking the Pennington hit this year. I wouldnt be surprised if their thinking is "We dont want to revisit this next year".

If the talk is correct that they will franchise Abe..and then probably trade him..whos safe on the defense besides Vilma. I personally dont think that this new admin has one player that is untouchable...untradeable...uncutable.

It wouldnt shock me if by the end of the 07 season, we have 17-19 new starters.

Who on the offensive line would still be here...Jones? Moore? Receivers? Coles/ Cotch? not even a starter. Running back? Sowell looks gone...Martin will be gone..and Pennington will probably be gone.

On defense Ellis and Robertson? One of them will probably be gone. Vilma is the only linebacker I still see here. The secondary will probably be the only position where 3 or 4 of the guys on the roster now will still be here.

When Mangini and Tannenbaum are done with this team...the cap will be very solid...and the team very..very different...but its going to take two full seasons to happen...and not until the start of the third will we see true progress.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I like this post and agree pretty much. It pains me to think of 3 years or longer, which could be the case, but it also has to be acknowledged by all that the NFL promotes such parity that anything is possible.

If Mangini and Tannenbaum are skillful at what they do, we could get back in the playoffs in as little as 2 years. We're going to be able to tell a lot about where this team is going in the next 75 days. What we do in the draft and F/A is going to be really telling.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

It does suck. I never have been a believer of the waiting game...thats why we are fans and not gm's. :wink:

But I do totally agree with you. You never know in the NFL. Especially when you get a new coaching staff. Between parity...last place schedules...things turnaround pretty fast in the NFL..if the program is guided right.

I just see a major overhaul of the roster. I think the position they are taking with Chad by offering him million with tons of incentives...Abe..by franchising him again..and then trading him (thats if what we are reading is correct) is laying the foundation that...nobody is safe.

Its fair to say that to start the 08 season, we will have a new qb, rb,fb, 4 new starters on the online, a new tight end and at least 1 new starting receiver. thats 9 changes right there.

On defense we will have a minimum 2 of 4 new starters on the dline..and probably 2 of 3 linebacker will be new. Im guessing that at least...at least 2 of 4 cb/safteys will be new....thats 6. Thats at least 15 new starters...and I think Im being conservative.

If more than half come through free agency..and the rest come from non starters on the roster or the draft..it could happen faster. Just that if you want to clean the cap up fast...free agency will be after next year.

Who knows...just a guess.

10. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Damn, now we go from having the flexibility to hold off his replacement till next year, to that being our #1 priority on the oline, if we cut him, this won't make our lives easy

11. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

Wow, just wow. Stupidity at it's finest.

Here is just one example out of countless cases the last few years where a team has retooled/rebuilt/what ever you'd like to call in a short amount of time.

The year is 2004. The Giants have just come off of one of their worst seasons in franchise history [4-12]. They have a huge question mark at QB. A RB that can't hold onto the ball. A beat up offensive line widely considered to be the worst in the leauge. A depleted WR corps. A defense that can't stay healthy, and even when completely 100% was mediocre at best and outside of a quality punter had an awful Special Teams unit. And ontop of all of this they were being hamstrung by the salary cap. A new coaching staff and a couple years later what do you have?

12. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

I say see ya! :beer:

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Same thing with the Dolphins...

I agree we will obviously turn it around, but I think it will take us 2 year to be competitive...so year 3

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bargaining Ploy. He wants an extension, more years salary, convert $$$$ owed now to upfront Bonus.

15. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well the problem is the dolphins and vagiants still had some talent left over on the offense (tiki and in the dolphins case, their receivers and TE)...we will have ZERO PROVEN talent on offense. I still see this as a 2-3 year project to get back to playoff calibur

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

which means he's just looking to insure his last couple of years in the league with some guarenteed cash, which wouldn't be a bad thing as long as they don't cut him.

17. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

The difference is not as glaring as you would believe. The Jets are much further ahead defensively than the Giants were at the time. Not to mention Special Teams wise. And offensively the Giants were terrible outside of a couple of skill positions [Shockey, Barber]. Toomer was a complete none factor the following year and has since been relegated to number 2 WR.

If things break right for the Jets and they make good personnel decisions they can get right back in the mix. If not they like the Titans could be in the cellar for the foreseeable future. That's the beauty of the NFL.

18. lightning

lightning Active Member

We don't know if we could be losing some of our guys on D though.

19. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I disagree. Those 10 games Mawae missed were the first 10 he has ever missed as a Jet. He has been great for us. Next year, he is only getting paid $2.8M and $4.5M against the cap. He hasn't ever been a problem. He has earned the money and shouldn't have to give it up. The Jets signed him to the contract and should honor it.

However, I disagree with that sentence in the Pennington case because Pennington HASN'T earned it. But, Mawae HAS earned it and has been a great player for us. If I were him, I'd be offended if they asked me to take a paycut. It's complete disrespect.

20. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

2 words for Mr Mawae...

BUH - BYE