Mark Gastineau battling colon cancer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joe, Mar 21, 2019.

1. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

My prayers go out to him and his family. Be well.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exercise is proven to extend the quality of life for people even with terminal illness.
    There are always outliers who do survive against long odds. The fact that he's running puts him in position to be one of the outliers.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Thanks for that. It's OK. Dad in '96, Mom in '97. Parents get sick and die and I had mine around until I was 33. I have friends who lost parents in their childhood, so no complaints there. Some of us have done it once, some of us have already done it twice; it's just that there were so many other things going on at the time, including dealing with my idiot estranged brother, my folks dying so close together, my Mom's family kicking me off a cliff, and a few other horrible tragedies that all happened at the same time.

Age and illness, it's the cycle of life and of course you deal with it, but the death of children is an entirely different universe no matter the cause. '96 - '97, terrible years, only to be rivaled by 2016 - 2017. Twenty year difference, funny, I just noticed that.

I hope whatever the near future holds for Mark Gastineau that it works out the best for him considering his circumstances. In my mind it's more about that than him dying of colon cancer.

4. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

If I’ve learned anything from this thread, it’s that you should really start thinking about putting stuff up your ass at 35.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Just don't forget to take the stuff back out.

...and stay away from Lego blocks.
    They ain't worth it man...

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Gastineau will never make it to the Hall of Fame. Everybody hated him when he was a player. But you had to coexist with him because of just how disruptive he could be to the opposition. Sort of reminded me of Ultimate Warrior for those of you who watched wrestling. Seemingly had few/no friends and didn't care, self destructive at times, unpredictable, moody.

Still the case can be made he belongs there.

1980 - 11.5 sacks
    1981 - 20 sacks
    1982 - 6 sacks (9 game season, projects to 10.5 sacks)
    1983 - 19 sacks
    1984 - 22 sacks
    1985 - 13.5 sacks

6 season of outright dominant pass rushing. If he played for a team the NFL didn't hate and if he was less abrasive he may have gotten in

FJF likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They didn't keep sack stats until 82. If they did Coy Bacon or Deacon Jones would be the NFL sack leader today.

Gastineau had some great stats. He was the second best lineman on the Jets for most of his career. The problem with Gastineau and more importantly Klecko who should be in the argument was the 80's were dominated by some amazing defensive players.

You had Reggie White, Howie Long, Leroy Selman, Bruce Smith, Randy White, Dan Hampton, Mike Singletary, LT, Hendricks and Tippett to name a few. Gastineau was a one trick pony and I don't believe he is nearly as good as Klecko or any of the other high quality players of his era.

You also have a SB won in the middle of the decade who could be in the argument of the best defensive team of all time. You had unbelievable defensive teams in SF who won 4 SB in the decade with a great defense that nobody remembers because of Montana. The Skins had an excellent D and won 2 SB in the decade. The Giants had arguably the best edge player in NFL history and won a SB in the 80's.

The era that Klecko and Gastineau played in was a golden era for NFL defense. It didn't play in either of their favor.

8. forevercursed

No he wasn't as good as Klecko. But the fact that Klecko isn't in is a joke. Anthony Munoz says Klecko is a Hall of Famer. That means he's a Hall of Famer

FJF likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Klecko is borderline. The best player the Jets ever had that's not in the HOF is Winston Hill. Go back and watch the SB tape. It's one of the most dominating SB performances ever.

10. forevercursed

8x Pro Bowler. Yea a case can be made for him. Larry Grantham is a 5x All Pro. If you're All Pro 5 years that's Hall of Fame consideration worthy

I hope Mangold makes it in.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Best Defensive lineman that the Jets ever had was Gerry Philbin. Nobody's crying for Philbin not getting in.

Revis is a mortal lock and I believe Mangold will also go in. I agree with you on Grantham. 5X all pro is HOF worthy. Unfortunately they were all before the merger era or even the NFL/AFL championship era. The level of competition really changed in the late 60's.