Mark Cuban :Don't go to school for finance - Liberal arts is the future

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Study after study has shown that millions of jobs are at risk of becoming automated in the coming years.

And the U.S. is not prepared, says Mark Cuban, the billionaire software developer and owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

In a recent interview on Bloomberg TV, Cuban warned that even people with in-demand skills like computer coding could soon be displaced.

"That might have been a great job a few years ago, but you might be out of work in five years," he said, citing what he called "the automation of automation," where computers learn how to write software better than humans can.

"We're going to have a lot of displaced workers — the nature of work is changing," he said.

So a new skill will become more in-demand than it ever has been: creative thinking.

"No finance. That's the easiest thing — you just take the data have it spit out whatever you need. I personally think there's going to be a greater demand in 10 years for liberal arts majors than there were for programming majors and maybe even engineering, because when the data is all being spit out for you, options are being spit out for you, you need a different perspective in order to have a different view of the data. And so having someone who is more of a freer thinker," he said.

Cuban's forecast of the skills needed to succeed in the future echoes that of computer science and higher education experts who believe people with "soft skills," like adaptability and communication, will have the advantage in an automated workforce.

Cuban highlighted English, philosophy, and foreign language majors as just some of the majors that will do well in the future job market.

"The nature of jobs is changing," Cuban said.

Cuban went on to say that America should be investing in programs like Americorps, which leverages community-building and creative thinking to create social impact. But that type work isn't always seen as valuable, Cuban said.

"Making it a real job...that's what we're going to need," he said.

Watch the full segment here:

http://time.com/money/4676298/mark-cuban-best-job-skill/
    http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-liberal-arts-is-the-future-2017-2

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to realize is that if automation and AI really replace human beings it won't herald a change in the workforce. It will herald the coming of a new social order in which human beings are no longer required to work for a living.

Just think about the reality of there is only one job for every ten human beings in the US and the end result of that becomes very clear.

5. Faux machine

Add a nice global war to thin the herd and when society rebuilds Zephram Cochrane can get to work on that space ship.

Cman68 and Cidusii like this.
  6. Br4d

Global war is unlikely because the rich can't avoid the consequences of a nuclear exchange or viral attack or anything of that nature. That type of warfare cuts across classes and kills randomly. That type of warfare is not like the barbarian incursions of the Middle Ages, where Royalty could safely remove themselves from the path of the invasion and the common people were the ones on the wrong end of an axe. It's more like the Black Plague, where death floats on the wind and takes the highborne and the commoners alike and at random.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like 9 out of 10 people better learn to live off the land.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Or learn how to program robots..

9. Faux machine

Or become a robot yourself.

10. Cman68

An Alternative Human Sir !

11. Faux machine

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think the robot will program each other.

my biggest fear is trying to talk robocop out of giving me a ticket, no chance of winning that one

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

I've always thought of the human spinal cord as one biological multi stranded signal cable that could be rewired and/or tapped into. Once processing power gets reduced in size and non reactive materials developed, humans will start to merge more and more with tech. People will have macro processors implanted directly into their brains. Should make life interesting in Vegas.. :)

Br4d and FJF like this.
  14. Faux machine

FJF likes this.
  15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I've always thought that's where the tech will ultimately lead. Humans are too narcissistic and afraid to just give up the control. More likely scenario is to use tech to expand own brain capacity. Computational power of a 10000 TB drive combined with creativity of a living brain.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Downfall of civilization, all because of a piece of green paper.

FJF likes this.
  17. Red Menace

I'm afraid of ED209 malfunctioning after I have complied by handing over my license and registration.

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Shit.....what I just paid some plumbers to "re-pipe" my house yesterday, kids without direction should think about being a plumber :confused:

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Br4d

Depends on whether or not you were the guy who introduced it to that hot little ATM down at the corner that it's dating at the moment.

20. Red Menace

Excellent trade, but can only be done till your 50, it takes a physical toll.