Mario Williams...his role in our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

1- Texans- RB Reggie Bush
    2- Saints- OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    3- Titans- QB Matt Leinart
    4- Jets- DE Mario Williams

Thats how I (and most other people) see the first 4 picks panning out, trades excluded. So my question is how do you see Mario Williams fitting our schemes? How will we use him? Where will he line up, what will his responsibilities be? Lets hear some thoughts!!

2. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Mario is a monster but pass on Young?

3. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I think that he should tackle the player holding the football.

4. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I think in Manginis first year, were mostly gonna be in a 4-3, and in that case Mario Williams would line up at end.

If, and I say If, we were to switch to a 3-4 as the base defense, I see him slimming down and going to outside linebacker. And if you want to argue with that, have more than just his weight and your opinion to back you up. Something such as a quote, or an example from his college days... something other than your opinion in capitals and exclamation points please.

But for the record, with our current personnel, and especially if we were to acquire Mario Williams, I kinda think we are gonna play a lot more 4-3 than most people think.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We might use him like Seymour is used in NE. He'd just be alot faster.

6. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

DE in both the 4-3 and 3-4.

He is fast enough to be a DE in teh 4-3, and he has the size and strength to play DE in the 3-4

7. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Of course.

Mario, as said before, will be an end in either the 4-3 or 3-4 for sure. They may experiment with him at the tweener spot and he'll create mismatches but it will be weird seeing a tweener with his size...

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

If we spend our #4 on a DE who isn't suited for the 3-4 I'll SCREAM.

9. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

how many becnh presses of 225 did he do at the combine.

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

i think 35...

11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Mario will be the face of our defense along with Vilma. I think that he'll be heads over heels more valuable than Abraham ever was.

I still would like to pick Young though. Although I would love to have Mario also.

12. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

I agree. If Leinart doesnt slip to #4, we should take Mario. I like Young, but we need a Abraham-replacement. Besides, if we do take a qb at 4. He wont get any PT for at least 2 years. Believe me, having someone as versatile as Mario is a great asset. He'll fit into any defensive scheme we choose to implement.

13. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Let's make sure we draft him 1st. Then we can talk about how he would fit on our D. I just hope the FO doesn't make another draft day mistake on passing on yet another potential game changer if not hall of famer. I know it's to early to call mario thar but just going off of his physical attributes he is as close to a can't miss as they come.

14. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

"The Jets aren't fretting over the departure of DE John Abraham, who they believe wasn't a good fit for their team in terms of makeup or attention to detail. Rather than relying on a pass rusher who excels in winning one-on-one battles, head coach Eric Mangini will attempt to generate pressure through matchups and deception. During Mangini's six years in New England, the Patriots' sack leader never had more than 9½ sacks. "

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2394900

15. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

Trade down and pick up a first this and next year......hopefully between the range of 7-15 this year....

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

ill take the quaility over the quanity.. i didnt watch that horrible season last year to draft 15

17. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

:lol: :lol:

Wow, mario can do anything they ask a man his size can do, with his athletisim haha he is a beast.

He will play RE, LE, he would de the 5th LB in a 2-5, cover a TE, he can do it all man, he has speed, strength, quickness, lateral burst, height, weight, offenses will have to much to worry about, with mario williams and shaun ellis at the end position mark my words.

And when they try to double both robertson will show his skill and dominate, our system will be sick, vilma, barton, chatham, hobson, will hold their own and make tackles and plays, our defense has pretty much the same players that ranked 12th with a really bad offense, and ranked pretty high aswell 2 years back.

Our offense will flourish a bit more with our defense giving them extra chances to execute, im not saying we will be in the playoffs but anything is possible in this day and age.

And last but not least, we will be playing the 4-3 alot also mixing it up and killing offenses, and have to say i been saying this even before i joined, and posted this a couple of times in this forum...

You gotta love it.

#17 28rogerblaze51, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  18. Williams has the size, strength and athleticism to play virtually any position on the D-line. In the 3-4 he is a rare breed that can hold up in the running game, maintaining his gap, and also has the ability to create a pass rush in the 3-4.

Williams is too big, and is not quick enough to play OLB. He would not be fluid enough in pass coverage and he'd be very slow to react due to his rawness to the position. Why fix what isn't broken? The guy has the ability to play DL in any scheme, and be very effective. Why would we move him to a brand new position that doesnt fit his strengths well?

Super Mario would be our version of Richard Seymour. This scheme is about giving different looks and creating mismatches. He along w/ D rob would be put into positions to create mismatches and disrupt the opposition.

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

He would be a DT in 4-3 as he is basically 300 pounds and he would play end in the 3-4. Big enough to take on multiple blocks, Fast enough to get to the QB. He is not an OLB.

20. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

In effect, Jets would be using the 4th overall pick in the draft to replace John Abraham, getting the best potential pass rushing DE in the draft. He could be the next Julius Peppers or he could be the next Courtney Brown. Big mistake if they do it. Would rather trade down all the way to 17 and take the Vikings 1st rounder, both second rounders and next years Vikings first round pick. Take Abraham's replacement with the Vikings 17th overall pick.