Marcus Thomas Dt, Florida.......

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Trey Ko, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I was going to stay away until I had gotten back from the combine, but while I'm here, I would like to see the Jets go after Marcus. According to every scout that I have called, he is unanimously the BEST and most explosive DT in this coming draft.

Now, Marcus did get busted for weed and that's it!! Other than that, he has had no other problems on the team; that, and his relationship with Urban "Liar" was the reason why the negative press has continued. Marcus will be there when the Jets pick because of his weed smoking. If he did not have weed issue, he woulf have been a top 12 pick.

Anyway, Marcus is better than what Vince Wilford was when he was at the "U". I had known Marcus since his Junior year in high school and had followed his entire college career. Granted, he did get caught with the weed, but he is not an overall bad guy like Pac-Man Jones, in which, whom has several issues off the field and still was an early first round pick.

Marcus Thomas reminds me a lot of another player who has his name, Marcus Stroud (Jags). Whoever gets Marcus is getting themselves a hell of a player and a guy who has dedicated himself to changing his life off of the field.

Now, at the same time, Marcus has had back problems in his past that had not resurface and will certainly come up as an issue; incidentally, these are the same back problems that another SEC DT had when he first came out (John Henderson, Jags); By the way, Henderson is 6'8" and back problems are more of an issues for DT's who are taller having to get low, than a 6'3 3/4" DT.

After the combine, you all will hear about how Marcus, at 300 + pounds did a back sommersault! I guarantee it! Now, that's an athlete!!!!

#1 Trey Ko, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  2. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

MT does have some sick upside....i dont know if he will be there at 26 though....depends on how the draft plays out. even warren sapp didnt drop that far from his dope smoking. (KYLE EFFIN BRADY OVER WS!!!!!) sorry, i have anger flashbacks when i mention warren sapp.....

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He's only listed at 296 lbs. That's small for a 3-4 NT. Trey, what do you do that you're having conversations with scouts? You had great insight on Leon Washington before the season started. I'm interested in what you're saying about this guy but he's smaller than our current NT.

4. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

The weed smoking may be a blessing in disguise for Jets. In this day and age, the politically correct stuffed shirts may allow Marcus to slide right down to us.

Unfortunately, however, I've been keeping up with MT during his pre draft training and if he does at the combine what he's doing now, we'll have no shot at 26. If we were willing to trade up for Dwayne Robertson, we should give our first born and stock options for Marcus!!

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

NFL Draftcountdown has him as a Draft Free Fall who failed a drug test and then failed another leading to getting kicked off the team

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL MANGINI EVEN GIVES THIS GUY THE TIME OF DAY.

He may be a bonanza for some team but, I'd bet my house that the Jets don't touch this guy. And WHile I'm at it I bet he falls past the 2nd round.

Besides all that - He sounds like more of a 3-4 END than a Tackle.

6. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Thanks for playing! Talk what you know; what he looks like and what he actually is, IF you had EVER seen him play are two different things. Watch a game or two, then critique.

7. Tight

Tight Active Member

This guy isnt big enough to be a 3-4 dt, and hes a knucklehead, I dunno trey.

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

seems like he would fit more of a 3-4 DE, whatever we may think our front office will do all of their homework to see if he's really a bad guy or someone who has just made some mistakes. But you know the saying once a turd always a turd...

9. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Please, he wasn't even in the same world as Wilfork as a player in college. Before getting kicked off the team he was a top 3 DT in a very weak DT class, now that he did, he's going to fall on his face on draft day, just like Antaaj Hawthorne did. They are not going to throw money at a kid that's dumb enough to get kicked out of school the way he did.

10. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I've been a Canes fan for over 25 years, and yes, he is/was better than Wilfork as a collegiate player!

Antaaj Hawthorne was just another Big Ten space eater that fell because of his lack of athleticism and his laziness was apparent during workouts.

I know Marcus personally, and he did not make the proverbial "Mistakes", all of his crap was done with a conscience and he screwed up. There is no use in making excuses for him, he just has to do better with his future opportunities.

Do you think that I like saying that he was/is better than Wilfork? I had Wilfork in studio with me before he was drafted and he is a very cool brother, but in my opinion, and in the opinion of those that I know who evaluate these guys, he's better and has more upside than Wilfork.

By the way, where is everyone getting this 296 pound number from? The least that Marcus has played at during the season was 311 pounds. The weight that they had for him in the program is from spring practice and I know that you all "Know" that!

Furthermore, how many people complained about Ted Washington coming out of Louisville at 305 pounds? How soon do we forget, when we never really knew?

By the way, this is the same organization that threw money at Derrick Blaylock, Kevan Barlow, Justin McCareins and Dwayne Robertson (and traded up to get him!)..... Yeah, even with new management, they're "Dumb" enough to throw money at this guy, as are half of the other teams. Even more so, the ghost of past Jets misfortunes, such as letting John Riggins get away; uh, yeah, they're dumb enough.

11. toontheman88

toontheman88 Member

Three of those four moves were done by Herm so they are no longer relevant. Please stop dropping names, you're not that cool

12. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Apparently cool enough that you felt the need to add your half a cent.

13. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Marcus is a hell of a player, the problem with him is off the field troubles where he might have a little too much baggage for the JETS to invest a draft pick on. But he would be a monster as a 3-4 DE.