Manning vs Romo

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Jul 9, 2012.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

So I don't know if you guys heard about this or not, but Amani Toomer caused a bit of a stir last week by stating he thought Romo was the best QB in the NFC East during a Sirius spot. It's lead to some interesting discussions with some friends of mine and also some pretty interesting threads in both Giant & non-Giant forums.

So, what do you guys think?

I'm of the opinion that Romo is a very good QB and is hardly the biggest reason for the Cowboys' failures. I think his greatest weaknesses are that he often tries too hard to make play (ala the Brett Favre parallels people like to draw) and that he plays very poor situational football (ie fumbling against the Jets on 2nd down while inside the 10 yard line).

I think he's very mobile and accurate and while he's excellent throwing on the run, he's also a much better pocket passer than people give him credit for. His arm strength isn't great, but I certainly don't think it's a liability.

I, of course, hold Eli to be better because I believe he has a better feel for his offense and the opposing defensive scheme pre-snap and has shown a much greater propensity to step up in big moments.

At any rate, I'd be interested to see what some non-Giants fans that are probably familiar with the Giants (due to geography) think.

For the hell of it, here's the best article I've found comparing the two.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82941fa6/article/is-eli-manning-or-tony-romo-the-more-superior-quarterback?module=HP11_content_stream

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It goes to show you that even players and those in the game overvalue meaningless fantasy #s. MAYBE a case could be made for Romo pre-2011 SB run but now w/ TWO there's no comparison.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They are very close. One has performed well in the postseason (at times) and one really hasn't. However, I'd like to see Romo with better coaching. Wade Phillips should never be a HC again, and Garrett hasn't done a great job as HC either.

4. FriendlyGiantsFan

I think moreso than the Super Bowls (which are a function of the team overall, though the QB certainly often plays the largest individual role), their playoff records are key. Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs and while he was pretty bad in the 3 lost games, his numbers in their wins are extremely impressive. Romo's playoff record of 1-2 just doesn't hold up.

At the very best (and I think this is a stretch) it states that you need to take a wait-and-see approach with Romo; as hard as it is to believe, he only has 5 full years as a starter to Eli's 7.

5. nyjunc

Romo can and may pass him but he has work to do. Right now to me Romo is a good fantasy QB w/ guys like Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub and others but I wouldn't trust any of those guys in a big game.

6. FriendlyGiantsFan

I agree with the HC assessment, though I think you're under-selling Garrett as a playcaller. I also think you need to look at the talent Romo has had around him, his offenses have always been pretty good and I don't think he ever had an OL as bad as the Giants in 2004 & 2005.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think they are close but I would rather have Eli. Romo is currently in the everyone underrated him so now hes getting overrated swing of the media. Give me Eli in a big game but romo has made some strides with late game play

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think Romo is a fine QB, but Eli has certainly elevated himself above most every QB in the league at this point - Romo included.

9. FriendlyGiantsFan

I don't know why Romo gets all the blame he does, I think it's just part of playing in Dallas. There are certainly things he could do better, but he does a lot more positive things for his team than anyone on that defense outside of DeMarcus Ware.

10. Murrell2878

I don't think Garrett has been as good of a playcaller since his 2007 season when he did a fantastic job. I think they are both very comparable QBs. I'd put them both in the 5-7 range. I'd put Eli out in front, but not by much.

11. Murrell2878

He had a stigma early on starting with the fumbled FG attempt against Seattle and hasn't done a lot to erase that. Even so, I think he's still a great QB and can torch defenses with the best of them.

12. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Some stats in comparing them from last year ...

When team has the lead:
    ELI: 10 TDS 3 INTS 99.9 QB Rating
    ROMO: 11 TDS 3 INTS 102.6 QB Rating

When team is behind:
    ELI: 24 TDS 9 INTS 101.2 QB Rating
    ROMO: 11 TDS 2 INTS 102.9 QB Rating

13. nyjunc

It's about making plays not the playcallers. In 2007 Eli threw 20 INts in the reg season then played excellent in postseason to help them win- did Gilbride start changing his philosophy or did Eli step up? in '10 Eli threw 25 INts, in '11 he had a ton of comebacks and played excellent in postseason- was it the playcalling or the player?

After last year assuming Peyton is hrealthy I'd rate Eli 6th and romo around 8th or so. Close in # but Eli has a sizeable lead until Romo does something in january.

14. nyjunc

we need context, we know Eli had a ton of late game comebacks but some of those TDs could have been trailing in the 1st qtr 7-3 or 7-0.

How did Eli throw 10 TDs w/ the lead and 24 while trailing when he only had 29 for the season?

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Romo is good but Eli has delivered in the biggest moments and has some numbers under his belt as well. Eli is the better Quarterback to this point.

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

There is an old saying.

"Statistics are like mini skirts. They give you good ideas, but hide the most important parts"

For that matter, in a big game I will pick Eli over Romo any time.

17. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

true true ... my mistake

Eli's Situational Stats http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/situationalstats
    Romo's Situational Stats http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/situationalstats

When Behind 1-8 points:
    Eli: 17 TDS 5 INTS 100.6 QB Rating
    Romo: 5 TDS 0 INTS 102.4 QB Rating

When Behind 9-16 points:
    Eli: 5 TDS 3 INTS 97.5 QB Rating
    Romo: 4 TDS 2 INTS 112.3 QB Rating

#17 34miami23, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I agree Romo gets too much hate, but this comparison is laughable.

Eli is like Big Ben. They may not look great. Your eyes may tell you other guys are more talented, but that doesn't really matter. All that matters is who is getting it done.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Romo throws more TDs, Less interceptions. Romo has been fucked over by his coaching staff like in Arizona where Garret iced his own kicker or how about against the Giants when the kick got blocked.

Things that had nothing to do with Romo was the reason the Cowboys didnt win the division last year. I think Romo would have succeeded to if he was on the Giants. Still though, eli has the rings like it or not so Eli will be above Romo.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Eli has gotten some MAJOR breaks to, the Giants season should have ended in San Fran with Eli going down in flames. Eli got handed a free win in the NFC Championship, he seems to be in the right situation at the right time, ALOT.