Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Good, this was who I wanted. That's a solid team they have going in SF and his body of work seems pretty good

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's weird Rex is out of town during the search/interview process for a new GM.

Since the new GM is stuck with Rex, wouldn't he want to talk to Rex in person to see if they mesh before taking the job?

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I'm excited!

4. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

That's awesome. More than satisfied with that. Hope it happens.

5. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

No way? The Jets can't land a top GM candidate. Don't believe me just ask the media.

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

From everything I've read, it seems like this guy is a very wise choice.

7. Realistic Jets Fan

excellent news

hopefully he is signed, sealed and ready to meet the jackals on Tuesday to tell them exactly the NOTHING they deserve to be told

8. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

Directly from the 49er's Website.

Tom Gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

While working closely with General Manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster. In 2010, Gamble had been assigned additional responsibilities in collegiate scouting in order to maximize the use of his extensive experience in talent evaluation.

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Gamble originally entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and later served as the director of pro scouting.

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. He then worked as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers before serving as a pro scout for the Baltimore Ravens during the 1997 season.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988. He grew up in a football family, where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. Harry was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Gamble and his wife, Juliette, have three sons, Tom, Gregory and Matthew.

9. Realistic Jets Fan

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets

hopefully he doesn't remember any of the wisdom and expertise imparted by the Jets head coach those two seasons

:grin::grin::grin:

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

1jetsfan,,,,,,,I hope this happens but I am not going to get excited or be happy until its a done deal. I hope the guy is not pulling a power play,,,,has happened many times before . Antwain Winfield was a done deal also,,,,I think he even was on the plane,,,,,,we know how that worked out :rofl:

Gamble makes sense,,,,,,,,,,we will know soon enough,,,hopefully today :up:

11. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

can he sign with us but still be with 49ers for playoff run to get a ring?? or do you think he doesnt care anymore and is out

12. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

In the article it mentions that they've known each other for 20+ years and that Gamble worked with Buddy.

13. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I read somewhere they have a history together. Their fathers worked together so it stands to reason they know each other on at least some level.

14. Realistic Jets Fan

the restrictions on signing while in the playoffs, I believe, only apply to coaching staffs

Gambles current job - scouting college and pro personnel- would probably not affect the Niner's run in the playoffs in any way if he should sign with the Jets as early as NOW

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

"But, but...the Jets are too dysfunctional of an organization to get a top GM candidate..."-everyone in the media

Would be absolutely ecstatic if we landed him. My #1 choice.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as Gamble is Rex's boss and Not his buddy, this one year Rex has to turn this around can be judged impartially. Gamble has to be willing to drop the hammer on Rex should it come to that. Restore respect and credibility to the franchise has to be a priority.

17. Darrelle24Revis

Darrelle24Revis Active Member

I was ecstatic when I heard this!! I just REALLY hope we sign him. Seems like he wants to be here!

18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

True but when your making a power play you try and get all the interview u can and don't cancel any.

19. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

The only thing that restores respect to any franchise is winning.

If we w in 10 games next year, I guarantee that you won't hear the word 'circus' to describe us again.