Looking Ahead: Potential 2010 FAs for the NY Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The title says it all - I just want to stir up some discussion about some possible moves this team can make in the off-season. There's obviously a lot of holes to fill. 2010's draft could potentially be one of the best drafts of all time, so we should come out with a lot of talent, but first, there will be free agency.

There'll be plently of nice defensive backs in the free agent pool in the off-season...

Cornerback:

Green Bay's Tramon Williams
    Houston's Dunta Robinson
    Washington's Carlos Rogers
    Carolina's Richard Marshall
    Indianpolis' Marlin Jackson

Safety:

St. Louis' OJ Atogwe
    Green Bay's Nick Collins
    Indianpolis' Nick Bethea
    Cleveland's Brodney Pool
    Baltimore's Dawan Landry
    Green Bay's Atari Bigby

I'd like to see Mike Tannenbaum sign at least two corners and a safety. I'd still like to see this team draft a safety, just to build depth. There's so much talent at the position in 2010, that we could find a really talented player in the later rounds.

Also, we could look for a right tackle and a replacement guard via free agency.

Tackle:

San Diego's Marcus McNeill
    Baltimore's Marshall Yanda
    Oakland's Khalif Barnes
    Tampa Bay's Donald Penn
    Baltimore's Adam Terry
    Tampa Bay's Jeremy Trueblood

Guard:

New Orleans' Jahri Evans
    New England's Logan Mankins
    Pittsburgh's Willie Colon
    Arizona's Deuce Lutui

The Jets have to rebuild the defensive line NOW. We've all seen how horribly this team has suffered due to lack of depth.

Defensive End:

Carolina's Julius Peppers
    New England's Jarvis Green
    Dallas' Marcus Spears
    Oakland's Richard Seymour
    Green Bay's Johnny Jolly
    San Diego's Travis Johnson

Nose Tackles:

Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton
    Miami's Jason Ferguson
    San Francisco's Aubrayo Franklin

The team could use receiver depth as well - Edwards and Cotchery are clearly the #1 and #2, so I'll list a few guys that should come cheap.

New Orleans' Lance Moore
    Baltimore's Mark Clayton
    Cincinnati's Chris Henry
    Kansas City's Bobby Wade
    New York Giants' Dominik Hixon

Last but not least, this team really, really, really needs a pass rushing linebacker. There really aren't many options as 3-4 OLB, so we'll more than likely have to go after one in the draft (but not in the first round). This is a very good year to build depth at inside linebacker as well.

Outside Linebacker

Denver's Elvis Dumervil
    San Diego's Shawne Merriman
    Philadelphia's Chris Gocong

(Here's a guy to keep an eye on - RESTRICTED FA Antwan Barnes in Baltimore. Rex Ryan is very high on this kid - he hasn't been very productive at all over his career, but Ryan/Tanny could go after him if he's tendered low. (6th or 7th rounder)

Inside Linebacker

Tampa Bay's Barrett Ruud
    Oakland's Kirk Morrison
    Cleveland's D'Qwell Jackson
    Houston's DeMeco Ryans
    Kansas City's Derrick Johnson
    Arizona's Karlos Dansby

2. Jam.

Jam. Banned

If we get Dumervil and Nick Collins that would be amazing.

3. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I know this isn't fantasy, but Landry and Dumervil FTMFW!

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Elvis Dumervil has been a beast this season...

Green Bay has a huge problem: both of their starting safeties are free agents and their best young corner is most likely going to bolt. Charles Woodson and Al Harris can't play forever. I'm willing to bet they re-sign Nick Collins, because the best of the bunch...but for now, he's still a 2010 free agent.

I'd like to see Johhny Jolly and/or Marcus Spears signed. Seymour would be nice, but I don't think he'll get out of Oakland...that would end up being the worst trade ever if he did. Julius Pepper will demand SO much money. Dunta Robinson would also be a hell of a #2 corner.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Dumervil will be tied up tight by someone. An uncapped year doesn't mean you're going to be able to sign everyone for one year deals, most players like Dumervil will be looking for long deals, especially after the season he's having now.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

2 questions. If 2010 is uncapped, does that effect the way free agency works? 2nd, will it be settled whether 2010 is uncapped prior to FA?

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Who says we can't sign him to a long term deal?

8. Satire?

Satire? Guest

We need players that want to play the game. If we get players that don't want to play then they won't do well with the squad. See I break it down for you guys so you don't have to do the thinking.

We get dudes on the team that play with their mind in the game then we don't have to worry about them quitting on us in the 4th quarter. We need some film watching here so we can figure this stuff out. Rex might not be the coach but he's cocky so that's the right track.. It's easy, guys. Just get players that care about the game of football..

We're gonna win.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

great thread, E.....it's never too early to discuss potential FA's :)

MBGreen's FA Wish list:

OJ Atogwe - this guy would make us forget that Rhodes ever existed...this guy is a ballhawk, plays hard and is no stranger to making big plays....basically, the polar opposite of Rhodes. He'll command big money for sure.

Richard Seymour - I'm going against the grain here a tad...because i believe an infusion of youth is a MUST for our defensive line.....but what better way for a motivated Seymour to get back at the Pats...than to play his ass off for the Gang Green.

Julius Peppers - he'll cost a boatload, and he's not from a 3-4 scheme. But Peppers is a genetic freak and when motivated, he can't be stopped. I'm on the fence with this guy...but I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do from an OLB position in Rex's defense. High Risk High Reward with this guy. We'll see if Woddy ponies up the dough for guy like Peppers.

Aubrayo Franklin - don't think this guy will make it to FA....but he's a BEAST at NT for the Niners....as we know, we need some help at NT, and this guy would fit the bill. Very quick on his feet for a guy who's 317 pounds....watched him snatch an INT from Cutler a few weeks ago when he dropped into coverage.....he'd be an excellent fit rotating in or starting at NT. The Niners will probably slap the franchise tag on this guy....I would too.

Lance Moore - if we could land this guy on the cheap....he'd be a steal. He's only 5'9...but Brees loves him...he's got great hands and catches everything. He's fallen down the NO depth chart recently, but i believe that's due to the influx of WR talent they have...too much talent, not enough starting positions...must be nice to have that problem. Anyway, the Jets need a slot receiver to compliment Edwards/Cotch....Moore would be a good fit, IMO.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Moore is also a dynamic returner.... if Leon isn't a go at KR Moore is just as good if not better. I think he also had 10 TD receptions last year so he is a target in the endzone. I like Otogwe as safety, the hell with Rhodes. I used to love the guy has turned into an absolute puss. Don't know a whole lot about Franklin but I would imagine playing for Singletary has helped his game...the 9ers are cheap so he may walk.

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This is why we need Richard Seymour.

12. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Teams get 3 tags instead of 1, players need 6 years in the NFL to become UFAs, and I think there are other restrictions.

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

If we managed to replace BT with Dumervil I think I'd wet myself.

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I really wanted us to draft Marcus McNeill.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Dunta Robinson
    OJ Otogwe
    Duece Lutui
    Dominik Hixon
    Travis Johson

Economical Role Players. Use the draft for the starters.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I wouldn't call Dunta Robinson a economic role player. Some team will probably pay him alot of coin, hoping he stays healthy. Dunta has been injuryed alot, but when he's on his game a Top CB (not a Revis) in the NFL.

18. 624

624 Banned

Richard Marshall
    Elvis Dumervil
    Brodney Pool

I'd like to get those 3 guys and of course some DL and OL depth.

If you guys don't know who Richard Marshall is, you'll see him in action today for the Panthers, he is a very solid young (24) CB who I'd love to have on this team.

19. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

Arubayo Franklin, Nick Collins/Atogwe, Seymour

20. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

1) Marcus Spears. Fills an obvious need and can replace Douglas.

2) Elvis Dumervil. Amazing pass rusher, offers us something we really don't have. We need to get pressure on QB and Dumervil offers that.

3) Richard Marshall. Gives us a solid #2 CB.

Draft:

1) Taylor Mays. I know most people love or hate him, but I think he's gonna be a beast in the NFL. Welker will think twice before going over the middle with Mays waiting.

2) Mike Johnson. Since we address defense in this scenario, we need to replenish our OL at LG and RT. Johnson will be a really good LG in the pros.

4) Danario Alexander. Gives us another option at WR, big playmaking ability.

We address DE, Pass rushing OLB, CB, S, LG, and give Franchez another option at WR.