Long Term Ramifications of This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this season and of course for the short term, I believe if/when we get into the playoffs that the AFC is so wide open that we have a legit shot at being in SB50 with the way we are playing and the way this team is constructed.

But to look big picture, I think the way this season developed will have some real positive long term affects on this franchise. The number one reason is that Bryce Petty as a rookie has been placed into a winning environment and culture and has gotten the chance to sit and learn behind a seasoned veteran who has proven to be an incredible leader in the toughest city in sports, IMO. And with the way Fitz has played, barring injury, Petty gets to sit and learn another year and develop. And the same goes for Geno. I don't want this to turn into a bash Geno thread because there may be a time where we need this guy and I truly hope he too has learned and developed watching Fitz. Watching Geno on the sidelines he has been nothing but supportive and positive in his body language so maybe he has grown up a little too.

But we all think his time here is limited and the future is Petty. This season could not have played out any better for the development of who we hope is our franchise QB of the future.

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, great QBs are often born that way but sometimes you can forge them. What's happening now is absolutely for the best with both Petty and Geno. I don't know if Geno can be salvaged, but next preseason will be interesting in those regards. It's been a refreshing change this season to not have to worry about the QB position.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Nah, Geno sat behind Fitz preseason and for 7 games prior to the Raiders game, and he still looked like the same old Geno. Running out of bounds instead of throwing it away, LOL. He's done here, period.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We have veterans in place and a few young guys behind those veterans developing. We have to hope that these young guys develop and can take over when it's time to move on from the older players.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I love how we have a win and in game coming up and Jets fans are using terms like 'ramifications.' There are no ramifications. This is the NFL. You take shots to win, then figure it out later.

egelband, Burnz and socaljetfan like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

only "ramifications" will be people complaining that we didn't get a higher draft pick

7. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Why are you so negative? I think the way Petty is being handled, brought along is something new for this franchize. A winning culture might be in the early stages of developing as well. These are legit ramifications IMHO as well.

TNJet, Cman68 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Sure, but Petty was NEVER going to start even if the team went 1 - 15

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Nobody said we don't take shots to win. Long term stability for this franchise is important as well, and I think letting Petty learn from Fitz at this particular time in a winning locker room with the GM and coach that drafted him is good for a young QB.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Enjoy it while you can.

11. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm leaving 'ramifications' till after FA and the Draft.

We've had a soft schedule and next years looks brutal, we lack depth and our current success is pretty much based off our veterans playing at near pro-bowl level across the field. Give me 2 or 3 draft picks that don't bust and a couple of FA's that have 4 or 5 years left in them and I'll be a happy bunny.

This years been awesome and other then 1 or 2 games they've done themselves proud but the same roster up, 1 year on and up against Pats, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, KC or Denver, Colts, Cardinals, Rams and Pats again...........we're 8-8 at best.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo, this is an off season discussion.

13. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Wait! What? You mean it's Dec 29th and we're still alive. No ramifications in that going forward, right :)

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The only real negative out of this season so far for me from a player perspective is Smith tearing his ACL. He looked like he might finally be starting to come on. That was a real tough break for us.

But I agree on the Petty and Geno comments. It's great for the development of both of them. As for Geno, it doesn't matter if we are moving on from him or not. He's still had the ability to learn under a quality QB while watching from the sidelines. That can only help him for as long as he is a part of this team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i think obviously a good winning culture always helps moving forward.... but i think it is mostly irrelevant compared to all the much much bigger issues:

what do we do at left tackle?
    what do we do with all the 30+ year olds on this team that make up like 4 or 5 of our top 6 players?
    what do we do with mo/sheldon contracts?

As far as petty, im not sure he is the future. i think he is a couple years from even seeing the field, and even then, im not confident he can even reach the levels fitz has played at this year.

Moving forward, i just hope we can either find a way to get a good return on wilkerson or find a way to replace fergeson with someone capable who can start day 1 be that a rookie or a FA. I'd also like to see some young guys at WR, OL, LB, CB capable of being long term replacement for guys like Marhsall, Revis, Fergeson, Mangold, Harris, etc...

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He well could be, but none of us know that. I think he will still be under contract with the Jets, so unless Bowles and/or Mac have just lost patience with Geno or given up on him, he could very well be back. Don't forget that the Jets need to try to re-sign Wilkerson, have a bunch of other FAs they either need to re-sign or replace, and still have some positions on the team that need to be upgraded (RG, ILB [D. Davis], OLB [Coples'/Pace's spots] and TE). I'd be shocked if the Jets went into next season with Fitz, Petty and a rookie QB, or Fitz, Petty and vet FA QB who's even worse than Geno yet would cost more.

#16 NCJetsfan, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

The Pats will still be the Pats. The Bengals have a great team. KC will still be tough. The Cardinals should still be a top team. The Steelers are very beatable and if they don't fix some of their issues, that won't be such a scary game. The Ravens are on a bit of a downward swing imo and since Rex is no longer our HC, I no longer dread playing the Ravens. They were (are?) in Rex's head. The Rams are very beatable. The Colts? It depends on what happens with their CS and off season moves. Denver's an excellent team, but will Peyton be back? Will they play at the same level under Osweiler?

I don't expect Mac to stand pat. He will work to improve the team in the draft and FA. Players who don't fit in due to lack of talent, the proper attitude/work ethic, etc., will be gone. He will fill holes and upgrade depth. Even if he doesn't, I'm not gonna worry about it and dread next season. I might not even be alive. A scandal involving what the NFL knew about concussions, or one about fixed games and the officiating could erupt and the NFL could cease to exist. The world as we know it could cease to exist due to climate change, a nuclear attack or zombie plague. ;) I'm going to enjoy the rest of this season and let next season take care of itself.

#17 NCJetsfan, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree that these are tough issues with which Mac and Bowles must deal, but I don't think creating a winning culture is irrelevant. In fact, it will be part of the solution. It will make the Jets more attractive to potential FAs. It will help instill the proper attitude and work ethic in whatever replacements we do find. I hope they replace Brick sooner rather than later, but I don't expect him to be gone next year unless he refuses to take a pay cut or re-do his contract. The reality is that they probably won't be able to replace all those 30+ year olds next year. It will take 2-3 years to replace them.

Petty may or may not be the future, but I don't think he's a couple of years from even seeing the field. He's a smart kid with a great work ethic. He already knows how to play the position of QB. He has a stronger, better arm than Fitz and may be just as accurate. Some of the things he's working on (learning the offense and adjusting to the speed of the NFL) are not that hard. He doesn't have any major fundamentals issues to really overcome. I don't remember, but he may need to work on taking snaps from under center, but the drops will not be as complex since we aren't running a WCO, and in the grand scheme of things, that is relatively minor. The toughest part will of course be learning to read more complex NFL Ds and make his progressions. With his loving the game, studying film with Fitz and Gailey, having a full season under his belt, and the OTAs, mini-camps and TC next season, I think he will be ready to see the field at least as a backup, if not push Fitz for the starting job.

Mauldin is already proving that he's ready to take either Coples or Pace's place in the starting lineup. Erin Henderson can replace Demario Davis in the starting lineup quite nicely, or who knows, maybe the Jets get lucky and Ragland or Mack fall to them in the first round. Hopefully, Devin Smith will come back strong and Tompkins will continue to prove to be a good addition. OL and CB are the two spots that I think will bear the most watching.

egelband likes this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Of course you give a peak towards next year as a fan after what's happened. You know Mac is. We'll prolly see another run with this team as it's constructed, for the most part, next year. Meaning, more than anything, we'll prolly see Fitz/Marshall/Gailey again

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm worried about next weeks ramifications