Long Term Economic Outlook (COVID-19 Impact)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brook!, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

With approximately 17 million people on the unemployment rolls.
    17,000,000 x $600 = 10,200,000,000.

$10 billion dollars every single week is a hell of a lot more than $686 million.

A little disingenuous when worded as only $600.
    I still do not understand why should anyone take home more $ staying at home than working. I kept working (until summer) as a teacher and I took home the same $, not more.

It’s like my wife not understanding why we can’t afford a beach house when I just spent $1,000 on a laptop.

#622 Section 336, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    stinkyB, mrjet80 and FJF like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I took it as a critique of all the extra crap they slide into the proposed stimulus package.
    None of which address the pandemic or the economy.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...y-pork-baked-into-this-proposed-covid-19-bill

Section 336 and barfolomew like this.
  4. HerndonFan

HerndonFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

FJF likes this.
  5. Section 336

To this day, aside from things like the yearly budget, why bills are not just single items.
    Instead of 1000 page Bills, they would be a page or two, vote and move on.
    This would drastically reduce time spent debating these bills, and get right down to voting on the specific tenets individually.
    Washington will never be honest until they can prevent the pet projects and pork embedded in bills.

It could go like $600 extra Senate votes no.
    $400 extra Senate votes no.
    $200 extra Senate votes yes, now it is up to Pelosi to get it passed or explain to her constituents why they wouldn’t give ANY enhanced benefits.

FJF likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Why $600?

That's too much way too much.

That's crazy.

People that made it all the way to July 31 should have been saving their last few checks just in case. Someone that made it all the way to July 31 collecting unemployment that is in danger of being evicted deserves to be evicted.

I understand why they did it the first time not now.

It's time to go back to work.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup. And while they're at it the funding source should be required to be specified.

8. papapump

papapump Active Member

Fact, the House passes the Hero’s Bill on May15th, with NO FBI building included, near Trump’s hotel.

Fact, Leader McConnell lets the bill sit on his desk, while others in his caucus say nothing is needed. They even say that the $600 will encourage people to stay home. In Ct. if you are called back to work, and refuse your unemployment is over. Many, especially in the decimated restaurant, hospitality, and travel industries are using this $600 to barely stay afloat.

Fact, upon returning to the Senate the Republican caucus is so splintered that they can’t even put a Bill on the floor. Stop trying to blame Pelosi & the Democrats for their inaction. If you have any clue in regards to negotiations, you will know where this is going. Sadly the American people will suffer, yet again from Republicans not doing what’s right for the working people of this country.

The tsunami is coming.

9. Section 336

Fact - people who collected “enhanced” unemployment are taking home more than when working.
    Fact - people who remained working didn’t take home a penny more.

Fact - if people were using the extra $600 to stay afloat, then they were going to sink before COVID ever happened.

I know exactly what is going on with the negotiations. The same shit that always does. The fucking democrats want all kinds of extra shit, throw a hissy fit when it is suggested to be cut out and then use their PR machine to rip apart the big bad republicans.
    The republicans unlike the party whipped lemmings have disagreement and debate amongst themselves so do not stay unified.
    Republicans cave and the Democrats wins same shit as always.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The enforcement of pulling unemployment from people who 'refuse' to come back to work is so nearly impossible to police when you're talking about 17 million+ on unemployment that it's really just a talking point at this point.

If employers were readily doing this and reporting people and seeing follow through, this would fix itself. It's not. Employers are having an issue getting employees back to work. Not to mention it varies by state.

FJF likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I've been confused by all of these people supposedly getting evicted and defaulted on mortgages. If everyone's been making more money on unemployment than they would working - have they also just chosen to not pay their rent and mortgages in the same time period?

With the extra unemployment benefits there's really no excuse that people have just decided to not pay rent since March...

Section 336 likes this.
  12. papapump

papapump Active Member

Rather than address your own hissy fit, I will answer your “facts”.

I am truly sorry that your employer did not increase your pay, as you were putting yourself, and your family’s lives in danger. My wife’s employer, our local grocery store, and several of our friends were in fact given bonus pay. Several of my friends, who ironically work for billion dollar companies, got their pay cut anywhere from 10 - 35 %. This is just wrong. There pay cuts should have been restored through the unemployment compensation.

Most, but not all people did take home more, but to say that would make them solvent again is ludicrous. A lot of their jobs are not coming back. My wife’s grand niece, and her young daughter, might well be moving in with us if her job search is not productive. Currently in Ct. we have a policy where renters, and homeowners can’t be evicted, yet. It is a no win situation as the landlords, and mortgage holders deserve to be paid too.

In regards to my wife’s grand niece, she was making more money while working, but also paying for daycare.

As I have stated before, I am an Independent not a party member. However when one party puts a Bill on the floor, and the other party does nothing, who really is to blame here? Furthermore when one party gives massive tax breaks to the 1%, and the working man gets $20 a week extra, but screwed by the SALT deduction, but yet thinks $600 a week is to much the reckoning is coming.

By no means do we have a perfect political situation. However to just make one party the villains is absurd. There are good and bad in both political parties. Unfortunately the GOP have been taken over by a con man who will make them pay the price in November.

13. papapump

papapump Active Member

It must be a wonderful world where you can pay all of your bills, and rent, and just be thrilled to go back to work. Wait, what world do you live in? Many of the jobs are not coming back! Did you ever try and comprehend that?

Obviously this has not affected you, or anyone near you. If so, don’t you think a little respect, and compassion might be good here?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

That has nothing to do with what I said. If people are currently making more money on unemployment than they would be if they were working, why have they not been paying rent or their mortgage? That should be the top of the list in terms of bills that must be paid as far as priorities.

As far as jobs are concerned, the country is in a really bad spot as far as unemployment is concerned. It has affected some people close to me - one of which lives in the city with extremely high rent. He made sure to allocate money to pay his rent and not defer his payments to have an $8,000 bill waiting for him on August 1st because he didn't pay his rent.

So I ask again and if you want to engage in a discussion we can. Why, despite the fact that most were seeing more money than they normally would over the past four months, would people not pay their rent and face eviction? And for the record, I hope benefits get extended. I hope they add in some sort of back to work bonus to try to ramp up getting people back to work. The longer you're unemployed, the worse it gets.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

16. WarriorRB28

17. WarriorRB28

Lotsa (I think) bad advice was going around earlier in the pandemic from people that are supposedly financial experts.

I heard due to economic uncertainty don't pay off debts use the money for necessities instead & use credit. To me it sounded a bit off so I didn't do everything they said.

I've been paying my debts, monthly, daily expenses all throughout the pandemic. I have been using credit to buy things thankfully I have enough to pay it all off this month.

I have to get that more under control.

As of right now I'm still on track to be 100% debt free inside of 12 months.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Defund the unemployed

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

unemployment rate should decline sharply if the experts on here are correct that people are purposely staying unemployed to check that extra check.

We will see what the unemployment rate is next month and if the TGG posters are full of shit or not

Mogriffjr and Catfish Billy like this.
  20. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

https://www.businessinsider.com/600-unemployment-bonus-payments-dont-cause-less-work-yale-2020-7