Lon Chaney's THREE ROUND Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Lon Chaney, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm only doing a 3 rounder because it's so hard to project the later rounds. For this draft, I'm not making trades. I would love to trade down from #23 or #34 for more draft capital depending on how the draft fell.

#2 - Zach Wilson QB BYU

There has been enough debate on here about Wilson vs Fields. I'm not gonna get into it here as I've stated before that like both these dudes as prospects. My biggest concern with Wilson would be his durability. I believe if healthy, he can produce at a very high level in the NFL. Ultimately, I'm taking him over Fields mainly based on his on his quick release which is the trait I value most in QB prospects. Fingers crossed that he's the right guy. I hope @legler82 and @Brook! didn't stop reading.

#23 - Alijah Vera Tucker OG USC

Let's protect our investment. AVT fits the zone blocking scheme and has no major red flags. Most complete IOL in the draft IMO. Only problem is will he be available at this spot. I have no issue selecting Wyatt Davis here if AVT is off the board.

#34 - Travis Etienne RB CLEMSON

Did somebody say playmakers? This pick is the one I struggled with the most. OL, CB or RB?? Etienne is too good to pass up here. He can do it all; run catch block. Teams will have to game plan for him (who is the last Jets player you could say that about). Nothing will help our young QB more than an absolute stud of a RB. My only issue were the fumbles - which I think can be cleaned up with proper coaching.

#66 - Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse

That noise you heard was @NCJetsfan slamming his phone in disgust. Sorry NC. If Ifeatu is available here (and there's a good chance he's not) I'm running to the virtual podium with this pick. Long, rangey, smart CB who can excel on the outside in our new zone scheme. I would even be willing to trade a fifth or sixth to move up a few spots to grab him.

#86 - D'Wayne Eskridge WR Central Michigan

Absolutely love this kid as a prospect. Tough, smart, fast, good hands. Reminds me of someone out of the Steve Smith mold. The only knock on him is height and I don't put much stock in that when evaluating WRs. Would be a great 4/5 WR year one and special teams contributor. Would take over the slot year two when we let Crowder walk. Corey David and the CMU connection helps.

As for rounds 4-6, my strategy is always drafting players with big upside that fall for various reason (Bryce Hall, Vontez Burfict). Positions I would address: LB (outside and inside), OL, TE, CB. I would love a K in the 6th, b ut I don't see great prospects at that position this year.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but no disgust or slamming of phone here. Besides, I never post from my phone, only my computer. I had said that CB could wait until 34 or 66. You waited until #66. No one could ask for more than that as we do need a #1 CB prospect. I like Melifonwu a lot, so this is a great pick imo.

I really like every player you picked. The only player I'd quibble with is Etienne. He's a great prospect, but imo he's a luxury we can't afford. He's had a ton of touches at Clemson the last 2-3 years. Playing in a rotation will help, but still, how much tread may be left on his tires? To make this worth taking him at #34 imo, he would have to be a bellcow back, not part of a rotation. Since that's not what this scheme does, I'd rather you either take another OL (Mayfair or Davis) at #34 or Melifonwu. If you take another OL then that fixes it. If you take Melifonwu at #34, then I'd take Kenneth Gainwell at #66.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. Lon Chaney

You won't get an argument from me about your concerns about Etienne. Completely legit. This was the pick I struggled with the most. To me, having a talent like Etienne (who I believe is elite at his position) was too great to pass up. I like guys like Michael Carter or Gainwell in the third, but I feel that the gap between them and Etienne was too large. I keep thinking about Nick Chubb and an improved OL has helped Baker in Cleveland.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

great names in your draft. Alijah, Ifeatu and D'Wayne

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I understand. I like Etienne a lot. It would be hard to pass him up. If he's there, then hopefully some team will want to trade up for him, and JD can move down a few spots add an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick. That would make it easier to pass on him. Etienne would be a great add, no doubt, and I'd be excited if they did take him. I agree that he could help Wilson and the offense a lot.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like it. I’m not very high on Vera-Tucker though. Maybe I’m still bruised from all the SC busts we’ve drafted. I truly feel we can address the IOL in the 3rd/4th round. It’s one of the deepest OL drafts in a while. Guys like Landon Dickerson, Royce Newman, Robert Hainsey will all be there most likely in the mid rounds. I love the Etienne pick at 34, takes a lot of pressure off Wilson. Melifonwu with our 3rd rounder would be a great pick. Not sure he slides there but I’d like it. Eskridge a nice player but a bit of a luxury pick

7. NCJetsfan

None of those three OL you mentioned are good fits for our blocking scheme, plus Dickerson can't stay healthy. Neither Newman or Hainsey would be of any help this year, and probably not ever.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very nice job indeed. I like adding offensive weapons around our new QB. But I would be very surprised if JD goes RB that high, most likely CB or OLB or he might even double up on OL and shock us all. My gut tells me both JD and RS will not pass up if a CB high in their ranking is there at 23.
    To your point about rounds 4-6, I heard a great interview on Sirius with an ex GM I believe, can’t remember who he was , that said the real art of the draft starts with the third round and beyond, That’s were the top guys earn their money. Hope JD hits it out of the ball park in the mid to late rounds.

NCJetsfan and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d prefer creed Humphrey over avt other than that nice job.

NCJetsfan and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. Lon Chaney

Thanks. I don't think Douglas is taking a RB in round 2 either. This is just what I would do. Although I'm starting to lean more towards Williams out of UNC at #34. He might be the best RB in the entire draft.

11. Lon Chaney

Thanks. I like Humphrey also. Or even Jenkins. I have a feeling Vera Tucker goes in the teens somewhere.

As long as the focus is on offensive line and adding play makers I'll be happy.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.