Lions Trade Stafford To Rams

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Also a pretty good QB....would come much cheaper than Watson as he’s older and maybe not as good

but he could definitely be a bridge guy for 2-3 years or even just one if we draft Fields or Wilson and key them sit for a year. I think Stafford has two years left on his deal

worth consideration, as it would improve our QB situation without breaking the bank in picks

Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe it'll affect the QB market in general, but we should have zero interest in Stafford. He's average and over 30, our options should be Watson or a rookie.

4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Think he'll end up with the colts or broncos. A team along those lines that want an older QB.

This won't affect DeShaun but it's another QB we need to consider, as he is a massive upgrade on Sam.

Posts out there saying that the Lions will want to use the picks gained to move up in the draft, which again is an interesting option as we have the #2.

Man....Joe's got like 6 legit scenarios to go down for our QB/ roster building off-season.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Jets79 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Stafford isn't that old. He is like 33, right? He has a few good years left in him. He is tough too. Not a great QB, but a very good one. It wouldn't be crazy if the Jets were interested.

Jets81, Cman68, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

New England could be a player for him. Jets most definitely should not. There’s no scenario where stafford makes sense here.

Lon Chaney, K'OB, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who rule Bartertown?

Br4d, stinkyB and ouchy like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A team ready to win now could use him. The 49ers and Colts come to mind.

Lon Chaney, Jets79, azhar80 and 5 others like this.
  9. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

The team and player are working together here seeking a trade. Stafford has been in the league for 12 years without a playoff win and want's no part of a full rebuild (i.e. Lions). New GM, new Coach, fresh start. Hard to imagine he'd be happy with a move to the NYJ since we're in a similar situation.

What is more interesting is the fact this is another team with a top ten pick (#7) who will be looking for their qb of the future. Could be a trade partner if we stick w/ Sam. I'm not sure Det would be willing to move the picks it would take but perhaps they fall in love with Fields/Wilson/Lance and want to move up to #2. At #7 we would be in prime position to nab Smith/Chase or perhaps Pitts (TE), Surtain (CB) or Slater (OT).

Jets81, Br4d, ProfJets and 5 others like this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’d trade Darnold for him straight up and draft Fields behind him to develop the right way

11. HomeoftheJets

There is zero chance the Lions would agree to that trade.

TonyFtLaud, SOJAZ, jetstopgun and 5 others like this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya probably but it is the Lions and they don’t have any leverage.

whats Stafford worth? Maybe a 2nd + 3rd??

13. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

yeah getting rid of Stafford makes me think they may move up to 2 which would be great to have another bidder if Watson doesn’t happen.

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

as if anyone would accept Sam for Stafford straight up...

JFC

Cman68, SOJAZ and matt robinson 17 like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im not quite sure but judging by almost every single post you’ve made here, I’m starting to think you don’t like Darnold.

Noam, SOJAZ, K'OB and 3 others like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

I'd imagine at least a first rounder. He isn't Watson, but he's still a good QB.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I'd guess a 1 and 3 from a team in the top half of the draft, like SF.

A team like the Colts? Maybe two 1s, or a 1 and 2 as they'd probably be picking 25th or lower.

Stafford is viewed much more highly within the league than by fans.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

my mate is a niners fan and there was a fair bit of chatter about making a move for Stafford on their forums (before this news broke) - would make sense for them as all they are lacking is a decent QB and he is certainly that (and a good bit younger than you tend to think he just seems to have been around forever)

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a mutual admiration between both sides to agree to something like this. I'm sure the Lions know that they rawdogged him with the past three disastrous years after they were on the upswing while Stafford has done a lot in that community off the field and been a warrior for them.

They're going to do right by him and send him to a franchise that has a foundation in place especially given his age. The clock is ticking and he's a little bit older than his age suggests because he's taken an absolute fucking beating in Detroit for more than a decade.

I'd imagine Denver, San Francisco, New England, Washington and Indianapolis to be the major players for him. Atlanta might be a dark horse given his connections to Georgia and I wouldn't rule out the Rams making a play if they can figure a way out of Goff's contract although very difficult cap space for both and little assets for the Rams.

He'd be an absolute killer in Los Angeles in that play action offense with those receivers.

No way he should've been allowed back in this game but man he's a warrior. One of many injuries he played through.

#19 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  20. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

If the price is lower than a 1st round pick, I'd definitely trade for Stafford. Then, trade down from #2, get DeVonta Smith and we have an offense. Stafford should still have at least 3-4 years left in him.