Limbo Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaDoc, Nov 20, 2013.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I wanted to get something out to kick around and get comments. I will begin with some thoughts. While this year has been a pleasant surprise compared to what many predicted and being in contention for a playoff spot is great, this is not a Super Bowl caliber team. Only the Jaguars have a worse scoring differential than the Jets and its not due to one bad loss, we have several. This team still needs to be built and my belief is it begins with the quarterback and the trenches. The rest of the season may help determine if Geno is capable of being the guy. Any young QB tends to hold the ball to long so a good line is even more important as well as a line providing a running attack to keep the youngster out of bad down and distance situations. We have competent coordinators so at present I will presume there is not a total blow up in the staff and coaches but that would change if we collapse down the stretch.

Like most Sanchez is cut. Harris stays(one year left and has been okay 5 mil cost) Cromartie's bad year has cost him millions. He can't stay at a near 15 million cap cost. 5 million is a roster bonus 4.3 is salary. He gives up all or most of roster bonus in return for an extra 1-2 years with maybe some options and minimal bonus or guaranteed in cases this is a quick decline in ability. Holmes is playing for his career right now 9.5 next year isn't happening but if he plays well he might stay if a huge salary cut. Most likely gone. Shepard resign Wilkerson redo.

Additions: I don't see any big names as I don't think it fits our future philosophy and no one player is putting us over the top. As rookie wide receivers rarely make immediate impacts, I look for some young low to moderate priced additions. As competition is the mantra the revolving door on the roster continues.

Draft: expect middle of the draft with comps 4,6,7,7. There are so many ways to go with the first pick. I favor BPA but in the middle it is hard to gauge who will be there. I think OLB, FS, O line are all in play. I don't see a sure fire QB at this or any point in the draft but I expect a run on them in the first to early second rounds. I am not a pro scout so at this points rankings have been obtained by cross referencing draft scout, rang, walter etc

Round 1 I think BPA is likely to be an OLB or Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. At 15-20 we are likely to be as high as I would consider a saftey. When looking at the lists of players I see no bigger drop between players in talent than at FS. Most #2's are Joiner who at 5-9 doesn't work in a division with Gronk. I have watched him for 3 years and he can cover,tackle and catch. Stabilizing the revolving door at saftey and physical enough for receivers to notice.

Round 2 Best OLine available. Deeply concerned about our oline and lack of depth at tackle. La el Collins LOT LSU hasn't declared yet but playing LT now after LG prior. Already SEC lineman of week this year. 6-3 320. Could start at guard and develop while providing protection for Ferguson who could be gone after 2015.

Round 3A Competition competition. You draft a QB every year until you are set then draft one every other. AJ McCarron doesn't make mistakes like some, lots of big game experience where he excelled.

3B TE CJ Fiedorowicz Iowa Can block as well as catch 6-7 safety blanket.

4 Another OT Mewhort OSU, Moses Virgina James Tenn. The first two again have experience at guard before LT. James road grader at RT.

4comp Mike Davis WR TX begining to get outside targets.

5 OLB help Boseko Lokombo 6-3 230 4.62 Looking for fastest guy available in this range. Good program and competition. If OLB was first pick, FS Kenny Ladler vandy

6 WR Cody Hoffman BYU 6-3 good size experience

6 Comp WR LaDamian Washington Missouri 6-4 sub 4.4 deep threat comp for Hill pos KR

7 Devon Kennard LB USC a productive OLB 6-3 255 slow for OLB I look at ILB

7 comp best punter available

7 comp Crockett Gillmore TE Col st come on name alone gets it!

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Good work and process into the draft i just dont know how good is Haha Dix since he is playing in Bama and the defense is overall beast that makes it easier for the Safety

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

I personally view WR and TE above the 3 positions you listed, maybe aside from OLB. This offense is absolutely STARVED of talent. The only WR I see capable of playing any sort of sizable role currently on the team is Kerley. Im pretty confident Hill will be a bust. Holmes is gone next year, and David Nelson isnt a long term answer.

At TE, Cumberland has been up and down, dealing with injuries frequently. He also doesnt have the most reliable hands, and isnt a good blocker. Basically, he's not a #1 TE. There's nothing behind him.

If you want ANY QB to develop into a franchise QB, you absolutely have to surround him with talent. Ive probably said this on here until Im blue in the face, but it is the truth.

The offense needs to catch up with the defense, otherwise we will continue to be a borderline contender. Unless Mack or Barr makes it to our pick (which I highly doubt), I am going offense 100%. I am not sold on Dix. I just dont think he is worth it for this team to spend our most valuable asset on. Allen has done well enough IMO and having a relatively cheap vet at the other position is better for this team IMO if it means being able to spend that 1st on a WR like Evans, Watkins, Lee or a TE like Jace Amaro.

Thats just my opinion...

But nice job putting in the work man

4. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Agreed with this. If somehow Barr landed to us I'd pick him and not look back, it would be too good to pass up, but judging by the sorry state of our offensive skill position players, it needs to be addressed. Barr and Lee are my two hopes for this year in Rd 1.

I know Geno has been put in a tough position considering the rest of the state of the offense, but he hasn't proven himself to be a franchise quarterback. I HATE overdrafting quarterbacks, but I do believe in picking one up if the value is there until the situation is sorted out. I don't think you need an elite quarterback to win in the NFL (especially with Rex coaching defense), but unless you have solid QB play there's no way to get it done. My favorite picks would be:

1) Aaron Murray in the 2nd
    2) AJ McCarron in the 3rd

5. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Not disagreeing at all on an absence of skill players just if the olineman whiffs his block it doesn't matter who is trying to throw let alone a young quarterback who tends to hold it a little longer. I just don't see a lot of receivers make an instant impact. It seems WR,CB, and QB need some adjustment time. It is why I would bring in some veteran receivers while the draft picks develope.

6. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

There are 5 skill players I would take before a safety or OL. Watkins, Lee, Evans, Ebron, and Amaro. This league is about offensive playmakers and the Jet's don't have a top 20 skill player anywhere.