Lets Address the Elephant in the Room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Nov 4, 2013.

1. meanandgreen

meanandgreen New Member

What elephant?

Seriously.

We have knocked off the Patriots and the high-flying Saints within 3 weeks.

This Jets team can play good football.

Every team has issues, and fans that complain, but the truth is that this is a very good football team.

...and we're doing it with a completely inexperienced Quarterback who plays like a stud.

I'll take it.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Would like some fucking sustainable drives.. 3 and out 3 and out is all I saw MOST of the game.. Deff had some good promisable drives but we need to win the Time Of Possession battle if we want to win. The key to beating these 400 yard QB's is to keep their ass of the field..

3. Jay Bizniss

I am not trying to be a downer in my post, just trying to point out some of the deficiencies this team has at this point.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Bingo. This is New York Jets football, always was. Passing game does not have to support the offense, run the ball and drive the dagger with play action.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We won the TOP, and we won the turnover battle. You keep Brees off the field and force him into mistakes when he's on the field. We put fear into their hearts in the 2nd half.

Classic Jets football, down 2 players at TE and 2 at WR. With a rookie QB. This type of stuff normally doesn't happen.

6. Jay Bizniss

And when we go up against teams that can stop the run? We need to be able to do both and do both well... I understand Geno is working with nobody, and with the right weapons in the upcoming offseason we can be very dangerous.. This key is keeping this defense especially the defensive line intact for the next 7+ years..

I just worry when the d-line doesn't get pressure (see Cincy & Tenn), and the secondary gets torched we are screwed..

7. JetsVilma28

Not saying that we abandon passing. Passing is there, we have to use it. The signature of this offense is our running game; if you can't see that than you're blind.

Run the ball to setup the pass. It's also nice having a mobile qb in 21st century football. :up:

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Gotta make them respect both modes of attack.

9. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Theres a lot of things to criticize about the Jets.

MM is not one of them

Every so often, you need to realize that some of these coaches are smarter than you, and operate with more information than you do.

For MM to put up 26 points with a rookie qb and four scrubs that were sitting on their living room couch, against a high octane Defense is pretty remarkable.

10. Jay Bizniss

Explain to me 1st and Goal on the Saints 6 yard line and we come away with a field goal.

11. Jay Bizniss

I 100% agree that our running game is what is going to propel us to wins... But when said running game does not work, then what? Geno throwing into triple coverage to Salas?

Your're gonna have a bad time.

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The elephant in the room is fans like you that rant and rave over a team that has overachieved. A rookie QB + 4 other rookies on the starting side, wtf do you expect?

And regarding taking out Ivory, or Powell for that matter, you think these athletes can stay on the field for the next play un-winded after running for 50+ yards?

Give the Jets a break...go to local a pub, take a few shots and play some darts.

13. JetsVilma28

Can't abandon the pass, but run should now become our mantra if it wasn't already. This is a team that is equipped to run the football. Ivory and Powell have to be the focal point of our offense.

This takes pressure of of Geno, it opens up play action and Geno has shown he is fully capable to tucking and running. That said, 'tone time is coming back with or without his dress on; nelson growing, Winslow will be back, cumberland should be back, salas just showed us he can play and the invisible man hill is out there somewhere, kerley status?. Just run the football.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

based on ur analysis that would make him no better than a 3 or 4...:wink:

15. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I believe it was 1st and goal at the 4. I was telling my wife to watch how they won't run it 3 times to punch it in and I was right. The Saints had NO answer for the run game and they passed on 2nd and 3rd down. I think it was 2nd and goal at the 3.

16. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

The first poke Holmes gets and he'll be back out.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Same way we can explain NE with 1st and 6 inches against the Steelers and they came out with nothing. These things happen. Those 3 points translated to the difference between winning the game and potentially loosing.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not sure if its an elephant or any other thing but obviously the passing offense is NO threat to the opposing defenses. of course we get the occasionsal good looking throw from smith but there there is no pressure on the defense - but what do we expect? between the injuries to WR's and TE's. its no surprise the jets have a very anemc offense - again.

but none of that matters if there are no turnovers and we can run for 150 plus yards a game.

it should improve going forward but thats dependent on injuries and the development of some of these guys that were picked off the scrap heap.

19. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Our passing O sucks because we have a bunch of #3 receivers that can't run routes and get open (minus Kerley who is going to be a huge loss). Give Geno some weapons and he will be outright dangerous.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is the team we are rolling with this season, good or bad. We knew going into this season we would have deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball so this is no surprise.
    What is a surprise are guys like Nelson Sudfeld & maybe even Salas, and add to that Cribbs, being picked up off the street and making contributions.

These guys are opening some eyes and showing they can contribute and to be honest i'm happy to roll with this team heading into the stretch no matter what happens.

We knew that this was going to be an evaluation year and expectations were set low so anything more is gravy for us.
    It would be nice heading into next seasons draft if TE wasn't such a pressing need because we see Sudfeld emerging or we can dump a guy like Gates and replace him with a 6'5" Nelson who can block & catch.

I think we are actually pretty lucky in that we are still in the mix and we are seeing guys that may have never seen the field or been signed stepping up-in for injured or suspended players and might actually improve this team going forward.

I'm happy with this season so far