Leo Mazzone fired from Baltimore

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Scruggy, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No thanks. I think I would change the team I root for if I had to watch his rocking 162 games a year. I can't even get through 1 game with him. Maybe if they forced him to work from the club house or bullpen it would be ok.

3. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Heard about this a half hour ago. I dunno if he would come here. I have no idea why Baltimore would fire him though. This guy made Jarret Wright good (while he was there)!

4. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Baltimore = Stupid

Mazzone, despite his ticks, is a brilliant pitching coach. He brings out the best from who he has on staff. That is the crux of good coaching -- Augment the good, minimalize the bad. But you know, after a shitty season, someone needs to be the scapegoat. They should have given Leo more time, then maybe we may have seen something good come out of Baltimore -- other than Crabcakes and that TV show, The Wire.

5. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Leo wasn't made the scapegoat. It just showed what an awful organization the Orioles are who have to fire one of the best pitching coaches because they suck.

Also, Mazzone only went there because Perlozzo was managing there. Maybe he'll go back to Atlanta. I know the Yankees really wanted him a couple of years ago before getting Guidry.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, they did say Guidry would be let go if Torre goes. The problem now is that Mazzone could get hired somewhere else before they get that decision made.

7. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I'm sure Leo would love to get a chance to work with young pitchers like Wang, Hughes, Joba, and Kennedy

8. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

And if Leo likes to follow the double z's then we need to let him know that NY has the best Pizza.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Baltimore is a terrible run franchise

10. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

I wonder if he heads back to Atlanta...

11. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

He's a great pitching coach, but I think that stretch had more to do with the talent of guys like Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz. Yes, a few guys had career years under him, but I wouldn't say he was necessarily RESPONSIBLE for the great pitching there. I think the fact that the rotation had three all time greats had more to do with it.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The fact that Eric Bedard was one of the best pitchers in the AL when healthy showed what wonders Mazzone can do.

I agree with MSU and MM, it shows how poorly run the Orioles are. Not saying this team is team that should contend every year but it's amazing the Jeffery Maier incident along with Angelo's ineptatude as an owner has sunk this franchise to new lows on a consistent basis. The sad thing is I have an interview with one of their minor league affiliates next week.

13. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

When the Braves were in the prime of their 14-year run they could basically bring in any bullpen scrub and turn him into a capable pitcher.