Legitimate concerns about Idzik

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

This offseason has really take away the juice this team generated with the strong finish. My concern is that Idzik may just not know what he is doing--The guy has never led an organization before and now reports are coming out that he is lazy. His free agents last year were embarrassing . Talk me off the ledge please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that he's lazy, but I agree with you. He's a cap guy and was never a gm. His hard line stances suck for rex. I'm as frustrated as could be with this guy. Allot of people on this board are all in on his do nothing, spend nothing mentality. I'm not one of them. I can't stand him. Lol

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Plenty of concern; none of it legitimate.

xmscott and mikey like this.
  4. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

I dont get it. We have 40 million in cap space this year. All he is doing is saving Woody money. He could frontload all these contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'll get back to you in a few years. It's too early to judge him one way or the other.

xmscott likes this.
  6. chris5533

I don't buy that. Rex is sure going to be judged 4 games into the season

GoldenShowers and Dreadmadseen like this.
  7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Rex has been around for 5 or 6 years now. This is only Idzik's 2nd year. At the same time it was understood that we were in rebuilding mode. So I expect Rex to be cut some slack.

8. chris5533

I get that, he certainly wasn't cut any last year. If he's left alone and were purely in development mode, I'll stop bitching about idzick in every post regardless of the topic. Lol

9. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on John Idzik.

So far, Idzik has implemented his ideology of building your team through the draft. He has offered some contracts to free agents however refuses to budge on the negotiations sometimes leading to another team signing the player. Which isnt always a bad thing. I still think it's too early to deem Idzik a bad GM for the dudes calling for his head. He is going to be patient and not over spend while relying on the picks he makes through the draft in an effort to build this team through a solid stable structure. Personally I like that the cash isnt exploding out of his pocket.

HOWEVER, to the people who call him a "great GM" you are just as wrong as the ones who want him fired. He has done nothing close to warrant that title. Just because he isnt spending money, doesnt mean it's a good thing, he may not understand how to get deals done. You can't always put up a stone wall in negotiations because that's how you lose players. People gotta realize that sometimes, people just really arent good at their jobs and it DOES happen. Idzik might not work out as the Jets GM and he could do a really bad job.

point is, it's too early to tell. I like some things Idzik does, but I also don't understand his motives on other things.

All I want is a successful Jets team, whoever can deliver that to me, do it.

10. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

Everybody keep calm. Apparently Izdik has a plan. A shitty plan so far, but a plan nonetheless. Looking forward to 2018......

GoldenShowers and chris5533 like this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Didn't we just watch the Dolphins splurge in FA and fall flat on their faces? I'll judge Idzik on his drafts, since he is clearly putting emphasis on it. He better guess right on those mid round picks.

UtahGetMe2 and Royce Parker like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you want instant gratification John Idzik is not going to be your guy. That's just the way it is.

He was brought in to rebuild the Jets and he was asked to do it without hiring his own coach. So far he's doing a pretty good job.

xmscott, mikey, Charlie Kelly and 5 others like this.
  13. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

i dont see the big mistakes hes made

verner doesnt fit the scheme

why go through the process with Mevi$ next year all over again

bring back cro on a cheap deal and plug some holes with some smaller signings

splurging in FA guarantees nothing

and i love the Decker signing... Jets shouldve resigned Mark so they couldve had the prettiest qb to wr combo in football

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Idzik needs to re-sign Cromartie. If he does that, then he is fine. So far he brought in a good WR in Decker, got a RT, kept Folk and Pace, which is fine. All good moves. They need another corner though and Cro can fill that void with ease. Add another WR via the draft, re-sign Colon, restructure or release Sanchez, sign another QB, etc. People are definitely overreacting, but Cro needs to come back.

15. chris5533

I think decker was decent not amazing. I'm afraid 30 of his catches are gone be due to peyton manning. Making no real attempt to sign a corner is baffling. Letting Howard walk wasn't the smartest move. Colon was terrible, pace dint need to come back. Folk was a good resign Sanchez your right restructured or released, and we need to hope antonio crom artie comes back now. I just hate idzick I'm sorry. Lol

16. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i feel like half the people who hate on idzik don't know a clue about football

Charlie Kelly and hornblower like this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm with u on this,I don't give a shit what anyone says,"Oh Idziks Building Something Special For The Future" yea he's building something special alright..... he doesn't look like he knows what he is doing I'm not sure why people have any kind of faith in this guy.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I can't speak about anyone else but that's complete bs,football and cap space and gms are two diffrent things.Its simple,when you have 40 mill in cap space and more holes then you could fill with just draft you spend the money in free agency,why is this so hard to understand?When we are getting burned in the secondary and Decker gets double covered I'll remeber people like you who think this is awsome

19. BookEndTackles 72&79

Did we forget last off season? He had a gun to his head in the Revis situation and pulled off a good deal for the team. Colon was a good signing to hold the fort and played OK. Barnes brought some much needed speed to the D before his ACL. Landry was a decent contributor. Ivory for a 4th and a team friendly contract was solid. Winslow was a productive pickup until he got himself suspended. Douzable was a nice pickup for depth. Picked up Nelson off the scrap heap mid season. These type of FA moves and the draft are what's going to give you long term success going forward.

Now fast forward to this year. We live in an instant gratification world so it's asinine to have "legitimate concerns" about Idzik a week into the off season. There are plenty of FA's out there that can help teams and over time the mid to low level signings are the ones that help teams the most. See the examples above. There is a second wave of FA to come and some veterans get released around the draft as well. It's too early to complain just because the top of the market is gone.

As for the specific position groups that people have concern about:

CB: The Jets do have some depth here. With Dee, Wilson, Walls, Lankster, Patrick, Dowling, Berry and likely a draft pick or FA signing to come they are not exactly neglecting the position. None of these guys are world beaters or top notch players but some of these guys have some upside and if given a chance could contribute.

OL: Same situation as corner. After Tanny neglected the O line depth for years Idzik drafted Aboushi and Campbell and picked up Freeman and Ijalana. Maybe they like some of these developmental guys who basically all had red shirt years last year and might be ready to step up and into the lineup. Again, none are household names or proven players for sure but developing players is more important to long term success then high ended unrestricted free agency.

So step off the ledge and let the process play out. No reason whatsoever for"legitimate concerns".

Br4d and All Gas No Shake like this.
  20. chris5533

What's he done so great? Why are you sold tht this accountant can make football decisions?