Leberfeld : " Jets' roster moves don't add up " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Dan Leberfeld
    Jets' roster moves don't add up
    Sep 28, 2006

Although the Jets are 2-1, their management obviously doesn't view them as a good team.How else can you explain why Gang Green cut three players this week and signed three more off the street ? That is usually the modus operandi of a bottom-feeder, a team that is standing at 0-3, not 2-1.

Trivia question: Who started the last two games at left guard? The answer: Norm Katnik.But Katnik was dropped from the regular roster this week.Katnik was one of three players unceremoniously dumped.Katnik started the last two games for the injured Pete Kendall, who is almost ready to come back. Listen, I'm not putting Katnik in Canton, but if he was good enough to start the last two weeks, how come he can?t hang around as a backup ? Let's not forget that Katnik is a center by trade, and was thrown in at left guard. Granted, he didn't play great against New England, but not many Jets offensive linemen did. He was lined up over perennial Pro Bowler Richard Seymour. A center, moved to guard, facing perhaps the best 3-4 defensive end in football. How did the Jets? brass expect that to turn out ?Obviously, Katnik played better against Buffalo because the team gave up only one sack, and that was a coverage sack.Now he's out in favor of Wade Smith, who has never started a game at guard in the NFL. The same Smith who the Dolphins waived because Nick Saban didn't think he was big and stout enough.

Katnik deserved better.

As did Ryan Myers. Of the three moves, this might have been the most baffling. Last week, Jets coach Eric Mangini was asked which players have stood out on special teams this year. Here is his answer.Eric Mangini has no tolerance for lack of production. (AP) "Brad Kassel has done a really nice job," said Mangini. "Matt Chatham does a really nice job on a consistent basis. Ryan Myers, I think, has done a good job here. These guys have done a good job not just these past couple weeks, but throughout the preseason."

Nobody asked him about Myers; the coach brought the name up himself.The Jets cut Myers to make room for linebacker Cody Spencer,a former Tennessee Titan, who is a very good special teams? player. But so is Myers. Spencer had 21 tackles last year and Myers had 17. What?s four tackles between friends ? But there could be more at work here. Anthony Schlegel is a factor in this as well.The Jets? third-round pick, who most around the league considered a major reach, was inactive the first three games. The team probably wants to give him a chance, and Schlegel and Myers are both backup middle linebackers and core special teams? players. Myers might have been cleared out to give Schlegel a chance.From this vantage point, Myers is better than Schlegel. The problem for Myers is that he wasn't drafted in the third round by the Jets? new brass. Just watch the preseason games and training camp, and you will see that Myers is better.Schlegel is as tough as they come, but is one of the stiffest linebackers in the league, and can't move very well laterally, making him a liability in coverage. According to an NFL source, the Giants had Schlegel rated as an undrafted free agent.For a management team that claimed that they were going to keep the best players, this slaps that theory in the face. This is what the old Jets brass was all about, playing favorites with draft picks.

As for the third move, the Jets released linebacker Trevor Johnson, who did nothing in the first three games. Then again, it's hard to make much of an impact when you are in street clothes. He was inactive for all three games. Last time he played, he had two interceptions in the Jets preseason finale against Philadelphia.He's gone now, in favor of Ryan Riddle, a former Oakland Raider. Riddle was a very good pass rusher in college as a defensive end at Cal, and the Jets think he can play outside linebacker in a 3-4. But right now it's just a projection, so why not put him on the practice squad? Why throw Johnson out to make room for another 3-4 outside-linebacker project ?

The third player the Jets signed was fullback James Hodgins. He is a 265-pounder brought in to aid the Jets? anemic rushing attack. There is no question Hodgins is a good blocker, but who says he's better than 255-pound Jamar Martin, who was dropped last week after just two games ? Martin was finally in shape, and just getting a swing of the offense when he was dropped.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is a tireless worker, and he deserves credit for that, but from this vantage point, he's going overboard. These are human beings we are talking about. They aren't just transactions. This isn't fantasy football.Katnik, Myers and Johnson deserved better.Katnik was resigned to the practice squad on Thursday. But to do this, Tannenbaum had to cut Sloan Thomas, so he is now out of work.When's it going to be Houston's turn? (AP) Tannenbaum, at times, seems like the GM equivalent of one of those chronic daters, who is always jumping from one girlfriend to the next, thinking the next one is better.We know he wants to do everything possible to make the Jets a winner, but what about the "core values" that he and Mangini are always talking about ?

Dropping three hardworking players with great character like Katnik, Myers and Johnson when the team is 2-1, doesn't exactly jibe with core values. It's more like Addams Family Values.Here is what Mangini had to say about the released players on Wednesday."I really like the three players we let go," said Mangini. "I think they did an outstanding job."According to Webster's dictionary, ?outstanding? is defined as "prominent, distinguished."We all know the coach has high standards, but to release three guys that did an "outstanding" job seems a little strange. Please, coach, don't insult our intelligence. Obviously, you didn't think they were doing an ?outstanding job.?

Back to the original point of this column. Whether you agree with these moves are not, the Jets are probably a little bit of a misleading 2-1. They beat two teams with major quarterback problems -- Tennessee and Buffalo. Kerry Collins and J.P. Losman had as much to do with those victories as the Jets themselves.However, they are 2-1, and you can't take that away from them. But if they want to continue to be one of the surprise teams in the league, they need to improve in two key areas -- running the ball and stopping the run.Generally, when you struggle in these two departments, you can't succeed in the NFL. The Jets have bucked the odds thus far, but they are playing with fire. And they know it.Perhaps they will finally come to their senses and play tailback Cedric Houston more. The only reason he finally got to play last week was because Kevan Barlow hurt his calf in the fourth quarter. Houston ran twice for 10 yards and scored the game-winning touchdown on the second carry, doing what he does best -- breaking a tackle. Bills safety Ko Simpson had him lined up on the three-yard line, and Houston ran right over him.

The best friend of a struggling offensive line is a running back who can break tackles. That is what Houston is all about. Play him ! Last week, the Jags did a great job keeping Peyton Manning off the field by running for close to 200 yards against the Colts. The Jets desperately need to do that, or Manning could pick apart their secondary, which is still attempting to get on the same page and is given to blown coverages.As for the run defense, if they can't stop the run this week, you have to wonder if they ever will. The Colts aren't particularly stout upfront, and they currently are ranked 24th in the league running the football, sans Edgerrin James.This Jets-Colts game should be a fun game to watch.But three viewers named Norm, Ryan and Trevor won't likely enjoy it.

It's time for the Strat-O-Matic Football to end in Hempstead.

> http://msgnetwork.com/content_news....sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

2. GreenMachine

Give me a break!! Now we have to consider a players feelings first! Dan, this is football, not the Dr. Phil Show.

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Great response.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, it does kinda speak to the overall reputation of the Organization. One that we're still polishing as well. We don't to be seen as fickle, haphazardly adding and subtracting guys on a whim. The Coach's praise can't become the kiss of death here.

We don't have to go the Dr. Phil route nor can we become "The Apprentice" either. Something in between would be preferable.

5. baamf

baamf Active Member

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is a tireless worker, and he deserves credit for that, but from this vantage point, he's going overboard. These are human beings we are talking about. They aren't just transactions.

That line killed me. Yes Dan, they are just transactions. This is the big leagues now, no more coddling. If they think these players will improve the team at this point they deserve the benefit of the doubt in my book. They see these guys everyday in practice; I think they have a better idea than Mr. Leberfeld who is advancing and who isn't. So Trevor Johnson had two picks against the Eagles in preseason, big deal. How was he picking up the schemes in practice everyday????

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

These are difficult decisions. The author uses terms like "deserved better" and the three were "hardworking." Perhaps they were hardworking and did deserve better, but that's not the bottom line. The bottom line is making tough, non-emotional, what's-best-for-our-chances-to-win decisions. This is about putting the best available talent on the field and trying to win... and not just saying it but doing it.

This football organization is so obviously beyond the touchy-feely, "he's a good guy" decision-making of Herm it isn't even funny. And Thank God for that.

7. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

I liked Ryan Myers too, but apparently the guys who actually study players and have better knowledge than me think theres another player who can better the jets. thats their job. the guy who wrote this article is an asshole. wah....dont cut players.....wah.....remember they DESERVE better. last time i checked, nobody deserves anything in the real world, you earn it. they didnt. when asked about the players who were cut, why wouldnt mangini say good things? is he going to badmouth them? im sure he isnt trying to keep them from working somewhere else.

and as far as "another guy who is out of work"....how about the guy who is out of work and barely getting by to do for his family? at least these guys get paid better than most regular folks. people that need their jobs dont always keep them, and in football, job security isnt a factor. any week you can go, and all the players know that going into the NFL. so now maybe they have to go out and get real jobs. i feel so bad for them!

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Well to the writers credit he did admit he is baffeled ("doesn't add up"). He did not mention anything about this team being in the re-build mode along with trying to make this team better now. He is also giving the 2-1 record way to much credit. That is a Hermanism. Mangini is still putting pieces in place and to be honest this team does not have a complete identity yet. So any moves would hardly be questioned until this team shows promise or demise.

How many teams are lining up for the guys that were cut? How many guys have been rotated through the practice squad already? Right there shows you that Mangini and Tannenbaum are not done with what they picture as their team. I personally haven't seen this much action during a season but so far they have been targeting the right spots with these moves.

IMO, every hole on this team is being addressed in some form or fasion and I can tell you that eventhough these two are rookies (HC & GM) in prominant positions they are showing better than their experience. Still doesn't make them champs but it's better than sitting on your keester and waiting for the title to come to you and saying "You play to win the game" without trying to field the best team possible.

Sometimes when cutting off the fat you cut some meat off with it.

#8 Denny, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  9. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

so the prognosticators all pick the jets to suck because they have "no talent"

they manage to get 2 wins with "no talent" but then are not supposed to try and increase their talent because they must have good talent snce they are 2-1

nice logic these guys use

10. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

I agree that this is a business and these decisions are made regardless of a persons feelings.

But he supports his argument "Why did they let them go when they have done well?"

I thought the article was well written and pointed out that the productivity of Katnik and Myers warranted them a position on the team-not a pink slip. I found the play of both players to be key to us winning in the two victories we have.

I hate to see them go.

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If these guys are so good they'll get jobs elsewhere. Who cares if they're a bit miffed it's not here?

12. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Hey, Schlegel was the Jets "Practice Player of the Week"!

I agree with Leberfeld on this one move--this smells like the stink Bradway was sending up the last few years.

13. baamf

baamf Active Member

Hey AT, what's happening

Don't agree with you here. Katnik has some nice upside but struggled in the two games he played (more so against the Pats). They like him but probably figures he needs more work which is why he was signed to the practice squad. Myers??? Come on, he is a nice player, nothing special. If they think they can do better I'm all for it. Were talking about the last couple of spots on the roster here in my opinion, not any keys to us winning games....

14. Gator

Gator Active Member

Maybe it is a Bradway move. Isn't he still on the payroll? Maybe Mangini and Tannenbaum said. Listen, Terry, we don't want you to feel left out, so draft a memo cutting the worst player on the team and go find some other jaggoff and we'll find a uniform for him. K? Great job, Terry. Close the door on your way out.....and two coffees when you get a chance. Thanks.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. GreenMachine

And Schlegel is on the PS....

Yes maybe a wasted pick, but so far Mangold, Brick, Brad Smith, Leon, and Coleman seem to be doing just fine.

In todays crap shoot NFL draft, that is a good draft.

17. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Also gotta credit Eric Smith...He was another one of the "WHY WAS SMITH PICKED IN THE 3RD ROUND, WHAT A REACH."...

But he has done well on special teams and has even played some safety in dime defenses this year, gaining some experience and possibly being groomed to be the Jets FS next season...

Look, Ryan Myers getting cut doesn't bother me, nor does Trevor Johnson...All of us were mad when Darrell McClover and Andre Maddox were cut, but neither of them are on a roster...Let's see if anyone claims Myers...And at least Katnik is on the practice squad.

18. baamf

baamf Active Member

Actually Schlegel is on the active roster, but this story that we let Myers go to keep him is IMO ludicrous. They believe Spencer is a better ST player and a better LB that's why Myers is gone. Now it seems like some people think we just cut Lawrence Taylor. And who cares what the Giants FO thought about Schlegel, every team grades players differently based on their systems and needs. Is he going to be a star? Who knows, but again I think I'll trust our FO on this one....

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Playing Smith and Schlegel would be an even worse mistake than drafting them in the 3rd round. I've seen both play in college, training camp, preseason and sparingly in the regular season. At this point if either starts or gets significant playing time it would not be beneficial for the team. They are both serious liabilities on defense. I'm just glad that this regime doesn't have the "play them to prove that they were not reaches or wasted picks" mentality. There are GMs and coaches out there that do that.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In the end these moves will be insignificant. Players are expected to play ST and excel, we have people who can do that. Katnick wasn't going to start the rest of the season, so cutting him is a moot point. Johnson hasn't done anything since he's been here and he just didn't do anything to stand out. We didn't just cut Chad, Laveraneus, and Vilma. Major overreaction on the part of the writer.