Least favorite pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 73klecko, May 3, 2019.

1. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Lot to choose from this year but I'm going with the panic move by Maccagnan at the end of the 3rd. Connor McGovern got selected two picks earlier and Mac obviously panicked and traded up for Chuma when there were nice prospects at CB and WR still available. B/R reported that ~10 teams had him completely off their board because he's a lazy prospect who quits and gets in trouble. I've been scouring the internet to find a positive spin. I went to the wrong place...USC message board. They've been up close and personal with him for four years.

Don't click if you have a weak stomach.

https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/finally-a-trojan-drafted.59814/

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Easily the CB, the only pick I didn’t like. I don’t think he was a draftable prospect with his injuries.

I like the Edoga pick, he has enough talent to be worth the risk in late 3rd, certainly boom or bust though.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It will take a whole lot more than a few college kids whining for me to get queasy; I guess I don't have the delicate constitution you do. Interesting you say he "gets in trouble," I thought that was Polite, unless you mean he gets himself in trouble with defenders because you're convinced you don't like him already.

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I have to agree Ralebird. This USC board tells me virtually nothing. They seem pissed at USC's recent plight more than anything. Edoga is what he is - 3rd round talent. Not every player drafted is a first round talent. Let's see him in training camp and then the preseason before chalking him up as a bust. If anything his sour demeanor/attitude may be exactly what this Jets OL needs an infusion of. His reputation so far reminds me of Willie Colon, remember him ? He had a tendency for penalties which was annoying but a decent guard in his prime. I remember him getting penalized against the Giants in 2015 - while standing on the sideline in street clothes !! LOL

boozer32 likes this.
  5. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Suspended twice is what I meant.

Maybe you're right but I'd rather my guy wasn't universally referred to as a lazy POS that gets penalized all the time and asks out of games. What offensive linemen have you ever heard of doing that?

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I'm not happy Macc took another DL, when there was an Edge available, which then caused him to have to burn one of his high picks on an Edge with Polite, who also has question marks. And I'm not thrilled with Edoga because of his reputation, but if he gets his head on straight he does have talent to be a good OL. But the pick I really don't like is for Austin the CB with his serious knee injuries - Macc probably could've had him as a UDFA.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A tie between the Rutgers CB who is hanging on by a thread healthwise and Q Williams, another BPA , another DL, taken over Josh Allen , who clearly would fill a Need

Quinton obviously has the highest upside of panning out big time

8. Ralebird

He was suspended only once in four years, for violating team rules, so he could have murdered a ball boy or been late to the gym. 24 penalties in 64 games is far from "all the time," especially on a team that draws a lot of penalties. I don't know who "universally" calls him a "lazy piece of shit," perhaps a citation is needed here and please fill us in on his asking out of games. Sounds like someone has an axe to grind and no stone.

Is this whole rant like those about Polite which come up empty when the onion is peeled?

Mr mittens and K'OB like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

His name is Quinnen Williams, book it for future reference :rolleyes: and we took Polite filling that very need at Edge, projected 1st rounder falling due to a reported attitude that nobody can seemingly find any real proof of.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The Jets draft is kind of funny to me because putting aside Q who is unquestioned talent every single player we took has some kind of big ? around them. And what gets me personally is that if you take each one individually and present the bullish case on them I find myself nodding my head in approval and can see each one being a potentially really good move.

But taken as a whole.... what a ton of risk. Its not outside the reasonable range of outcomes that absolutely none of them help the Jets long term.

Based on nothing but funny feeling I think the Edoga pick is probably not going to work out that well. So while I hope I'm wrong and I'm pulling for him I guess that is technically my least favorite pick just because of my lack of optimism.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. Ralebird

When you say "every single player we took has some kind of big ? around them" it hints you have an understanding of the draft because not one guy out of 254 comes with a guarantee. Saying that Q. Williams is an "unquestioned talent" shows you don't really understand it at all. Indications are that he should succeed here; the reality is that he may not.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not sure how anyone could hate this pick when...

A.) We need O-Line help.

B.) He's protected for Sam Darnold the year before last

and

C.) He did not allow a single sack last year nor a single hit allowed/given up to USC's QB last year as pass protector (unblemished in pass protection).

Fans drive the pitch forks for Maccagnan not addressing O-Line early and often and then even after landing us an All-Pro guard during the off-season followed by a 3rd round O-Lineman he's still taking heat...

This was an awesome pick.

wewantsapp and Mr mittens like this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well to clarify when I say unquestioned talent in reference to Q Williams what I mean is that (from what I understand) most every NFL GM, team, pundit, expert, janitor etc all across the planet rated Q as a top 3ish talent going into the draft. And I guess a significant % felt he was the #1 talent. I realize he may not work out that way in practice as the NFL draft has historically proven to be somewhat of a crapshoot.

But I suspect you already knew I meant that. And your trying to reinforce the crapshoot angle that pretty much any of these guys might either disappoint or channel their inner Tom Brady and do shockingly well. And I'm not disputing that at all.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

No way to know already if it was an awesome pick. I think he fell to the 3rd round for a good reason. He isn't a good run blocker period. Having said that, he looks to be a superior pass blocker. If he can work on becoming an adequate run blocker, we may have an awesome pick.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My least favorite pick is the 6th round pick Blessuan Austin. He's only played something like 5 games over the last two seasons due to injuries (torn ACL) to the same knee. He has a thin frame and skinny legs (according to the NFL.com review) so I think his knee is likely to get injured again, and he just doesn't appear to have the frame that will hold up in the NFL. While it's hard to get too upset over a 6th round pick, imo it's basically a wasted pick. I definitely would have taken Kelvin Harmon with that pick. I can't believe that he fell to the 6th round.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think Edoga will pan out. Physically he has an uphill battle to be successful, which means he will need a big work ethic, which he doesn't have.

You can take a chance on a lazy prospect if he has the physical gifts. Polite fits that bill. But both issues?? Guys like that come and go. I hope I'm wrong

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i don't think you scoured quite enough. PFF had edoga ranked as the 64th best prospect in the draft (late 2nd round talent) and the jets got him at the end of the 3rd. that's a good value pick. matter of fact PFF said the jets made the 2 best value picks in the draft (edoga and cashman) and every site has ranked the jets draft as above average to great. really hard to complain about this one. If i had to pick the pick i like the least it would be a toss up between wesco and austin but i also understand both picks and don't hate either one

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Not big on drafting blocking te's

wewantsapp likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can understand why, but I think he'll have a big impact not only as a blocker opening things up on the outside for Bell, but also as a safety valve receiver for Sam. I think he'll have some big catches this season. He was rated the 1st or 2nd best blocker at the TE position in the draft, and he did more reps (24) than any other TE. With Mac not doing more to upgrade the OL, we might all be very glad that Mac drafted him. He can help in the rushing attack and in pass protection. I had never heard of him before, but after doing some reading about him and watching some film, he looks like he could be a valuable addition.

Mr mittens and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I don’t really have a problem with any of the individual picks made. I have more problems with the overall draft philosophy. Except for Williams and Wesco, every other pick is boom or bust.
    Mac has been employing this same draft strategy over the years and has a lot of busts to his credit.

NCJetsfan likes this.