Laxin's 1st Offseason Mock Draft.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

As Ive been saying for a couple of years around here, this offense needs some serious talent infusion. I can only hope that this is the year. Our defense has been bolstered by multiple picks put into the front 7, and even CB. I have no problem with that, because they win games for us and it's fun to watch. In order for this team to take the next step, and truly be a threat, we need to rebuild this offense around the young QB we currently have. The lack of talent at the skill positions is overwhelming, and its hard to ask any QB, let alone a rookie to be successful.

So, my main focus will be on offense, specifically offensive weapons. We have a need at every position, and any help will be crucial this offseason. Now Im not sure [obviously] this is the way Idzik will see this, but I truly hope that he will provide a nice infusion of talent to this offense.

Note: I will be judging this off of the Jets drafting around picks 17-20.

Round 1: Jace Amaro, TE

[​IMG]

Now, he has made hints that he will go back for his senior year, but recently it seems like he is truly unsure of that. I am inferring that he declares this year after a great Junior year, and knowing that he will be a high pick. In my opinion, Amaro is the best draft eligible TE. I think he is a more fluid athlete, with better hands as opposed to Ebron. At 6'5 and 260, he is built like huge mismatch. Factor in his athleticism which shows in his ability to create separation, and I think he is a prime target with Evans and Watkins off the board. He is also a very capable blocker, especially on the exterior.

http://www.draftmecca.com/newslink.php?id=24

Round 2: Melvin Gordon, RB

[​IMG]

One of my favorite players in the entire nation. As Ive said before, he reminds me so much of a bigger Jamaal Charles. He is THE most dynamic RB in the nation. A tandem of Gordon and Ivory could do wonders for Geno Smith, and really provide for the makings of one of the best ground games in the NFL. Many may not want a RB, but we need playmakers on offense, and Gordon is the definition of that.

Round 3: Allen Robinson, WR

[​IMG]

The WR class this year seems to be a solid one that runs pretty deep. Robinson has been a great WR for the freshman QB Hackenberg. He has solid size at 6'3, and is a very good route runner with good hands. He can certainly make plays with the ball in his hands. In the 3rd round, Robinson would be a great option to continue the rebuild of the offense.

Round 3: Brandin Cooks, WR

[​IMG]

Playmaker. He can be Geno's Tavon Austin and Marty's DeSean Jackson. Cooks leads college football in yards, touchdowns and receptions. He is as dynamic as they come, and for some reason not nearly as talked about as he should be. He can get behind any defense and he has surprisingly reliable hands. He's only 5'10, but he would provide a huge boost of athleticism to the offense, and pair nicely with Robinson.

Round 4- Tre Boston, S

[​IMG]

The best available safety, Boston could compliment Allen well. Neither are extremely flashy, but they can be a solid duo who both possess the ability to play in the box.

As I said, there's a clear emphasis on offense here. I would love something like this personally. Im not a huge believer in Hill at the moment, and Holmes is likely gone at the end of the season. Allen and Cook would be great for Geno and his development. I think Amaro has the ability to fit in with this new breed of TE and truly be a great one. He has all the athleticism you can ask for, and has great hands for the position. Gordon would round off this group with a huge dynamic element in the backfield. Honestly, if we want to win a championship and we want Geno to be a franchise QB, this is the type of offseason we need. This offense needs to be rebuilt. The defense takes the backseat for one year, but that front 7 is shaping up to be the best in football.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I just can't see us drafting another RB. Powell has shown some great signs of talent this year, Ivory is obviously our main guy, and Goodson will be back next year healed from injury. That's three playmakers already on the roster.

TE, I can see us drafting high. Same thing with WR, but I don't see us taking RB unless it's a late pick and we are just taking a shot in the dark to grab a late talent.

WR is one of the biggest needs on this team right now. Why take a RB in the second round before a WR?

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

idk why everybody loves Melvin Gordon so much. I really hope we don't draft him.. -from a wisconsin native

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I could see WR early-late, S early-late, maybe a TE in there somewhere. I think Idzik is most likely to want to maintain a highly competitive atmosphere with no jobs given out automatically except to the #1 pick.

Take a WR on the 1 and the 5 and let those guys compete against Kerley, Hill, Nelson. etc.

Take a S on the 2 and the 6 and let those guys compete against Allen, Jarrett, Bush and Miles.

Take a TE on the 3 and throw him into the mix with Cumberland and maybe a vet free agent who is not too expensive.

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i just can't get around these TEs going in the first round, they just never seem to be productive. pettigrew, gresham, eifert, keller, fleener, kelce, rudolph, quinn, cook, ertz, etc just haven't been world beaters to justify their draft slots. amaro is an extremely fluid athlete with good hands, but i'm not sure he's a huge upgrade to cumberland, who with time i think can become a good TE for us. i just really think people are sleeping on marqise lee because of poor QB play and injuries, he'd be a game changer for us

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

Really like it. Don't know much about some of these guys, but by the description that you gave, I'd take it.

I really like Gordon. Not only has he been really successful, but he has very good size to be a very good back in the NFL.

I like how you take a big receiver, and a small receiver. I still believe in Hill, and with the two receiver you took, we can have all 4 on the field from time to time. Two big guys out and the two smaller guys in the slot.

Nice draft.

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'd love Marqise Lee. I think that out of all receivers, he'd be the best fit for this team. Quick, and a smart route runner. I'd love to get him or Watkins in the first. I like Cumberland too, but he still needs time, and he's only getting older.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Drafting "another" RB? We havent committed to drafting a RB high in years. If you want to count Shonn Greene, as a 3rd round pick, thats going on 5 years now. Powell is solid. Sure, but he is just a guy, and nothing more. He's a jack of all trades and master of none. I like him, but dont kid yourself into thinking he's anything special.

Ivory is a bruiser who has an injury history. He's also going to be 26, so he's not a spring chicken. If you want to even give him a chance of being consistently healthy, drafting a massively talented RB to compliment him would be ideal.

As for your question of taking a RB before a WR, I just believe Gordon is too huge of a talent to pass up on. Also, the disparity between the picks is between a mid to late 2nd round, and a top 5 3rd round. I'd take a combo of Gordon and Allen over any other combo switching the two positions. As I said, WR is pretty deep this year. There's about 8-10 WRs that I can see being picked in the first 3 rounds. I think its clear Watkins and Evans are gone in the 1st, and probably by the time we pick. Allen in the 3rd is of great value if he's there and there's no reason why he cant be a great WR in the future.

Im not sure if you've seen either Gordon or Allen at all, but you should. They are talented players. Ive been correct on a lot of RBs- I was Doug Martin's biggest fan on hear. Same with Gio Bernard and Lacy. I believe Gordon is more talented than all 3.

Not sure if you've actually seen him play, because he is the nations best RB. Being a Wisconsin native is irrelevant. Its not hard to watch games of Wisconsin. Many people will say that he is just another Wisconsin back, but when you actually watch this kid run, its not hard to realize that that BS simply doesnt apply to him.

I'd love to take a WR in the 1st. I want Watkins or Evans on this team. Sadly, I dont think they will make it to out pick, which I stated in my draft. After them, Im not a huge fan of any WR being a 1st round pick. I'll gladly take Jace Amaro over Lee or another WR. Same with S. I dont really see anyone of value there. I truly believe Gordon has the ability to be a top 3 RB in the NFL. I dont see anyone at safety being close to BPA as Gordon.

Its easy to say WR in 1st, TE in 2nd, Safety 3rd, OLB in 3rd. It never works out that way and its just not a good way of thinking. I chose players that I truly think can make a huge impact on this team at positions of need. They may not be in the desired order, but thats not how the draft is run.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Like it. But some where in this draft we need an OLB that can seal the edge

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I like the TE pick. There are a couple of guys that could be in range as late as we pick.

I'm also going to add this about it, we need a TE badly. Winslow is literally on his last leg and I have no faith in Cumberland. People keep saying that he can become good in time. Why? He's in year four, is 26 years old, and still has suspect hands and is not a good blocker. He is fast for his size and that's is. This is an easily upgrade able spot.

Not all that sure if we will target a RB early. Powell and Ivory look like a decent 1-2 punch and unless the talent is far above other positions I don't see it as a major need. I love going after multiple WRs. It's a huge hole for us and much like Cumberland I've seen little to no progress out of Hill. Still body catches far too much and for a guy who's 6'4" he has not ability to high point the ball. If only some of our staff had shared my man crush on Alshon Jeffery that year lol.

Good work as usual Lax!

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jace Amaro is returning to school.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it. So much.

If you actually decided to read what I wrote instead of scrolling down, seeing the name Jace Amaro, then posting, you would realize I addressed this. Also, Amaro also posted this the other day

So... who knows with Amaro. He very well could declare for the draft.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thanks for the feedback Harpua. Always appreciated. I do agree that TE is a huge need. I also think the value of a TE is increasing in the NFL now. A mistmatch at TE seems to be a QBs best friend. I actually do like Cumberland, but right now Im not sure he's more than a good #2. Obviously Im not sure if Amaro will come out, but I love the way he plays. I think he can fit into this mold of the new TE. He's extremely fluid, can create separation and has very good hands. 1100 yards for a TE with not very good QB play is no joke. I think he has the ability to be an elite TE.

As for the RB, I kind of feel the same way about the RB position as I do the TE position. Powell has been solid, but he is just a guy IMO. Ivory is also going to be 26, which isnt young for an RB. I new this would be the controversial pick, an RB always is. Every year I mock us drafting an RB and every year no one likes it haha. I just think if Gordon makes it to our 2nd round pick, there's no way he's not BPA. He's definitely one of my favorite players.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My bad, didn't read the entire thing. A real mock drafter would of had a honorable mention there tho :smile:

As I mentioned it's a good draft though, not sure if Allen Robinson is available in the 3rd because he's getting better each and every week. Tre Boston is excellent as well, not sure if he's better in open space compared to the kid from Stanford but again I love the talent coming from UNC the past 3 years.

#15 101GangGreen101, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  16. Mangold Goldman

Thanks for writing, enjoy reading these at work to pass the time.

Question, if Amaro doesn't declare, and Ebron is available when we pick, do you think about pulling the trigger on him? Or do you go in a different direction?

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im not sure, thats a tough one. Im not the biggest Ebron fan here, so I might be inclined to go in a different direction. He would certainly be a solid pick though. I would be okay with him, but he wouldnt be my ideal pick.

In this scenario Marquise Lee or Khalil Mack might intrigue me. Mack could rise up boards quickly though an be a top 10 pick.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This is a good mock. I'd take this all day. Nice job dude.