Last season was a mirage

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Nov 7, 2016.

1. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Last year was a mirage that made everyone think the Jets were better than they were. The Jets are still paying for the poor drafts of John Idzik and Mike Tannenbaum.

I'm beginning to think the Jets should follow the Cowboys strategy and build the team from the trenches up. It's not sexy, but it seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Build a running game. All the best Jets teams ran the ball. Offensive line first 3 picks. Look at how Oakland beat Denver yesterday... 6lineman on the field. Be like the pats and get 2 of those lineman that can catch and run.

Get some new linebackers

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This isn't news. Fans have been split since last season between those who knew Fitz sucked and the team wasn't very good because they beat a grand total of one winning team last year and couldn't make the playoffs with the easiest schedule in the league and those who thought this was a legit SB team because they won 10 games, regardless of the context of those 10 wins, and Fitz was the missing piece.

abyzmul, FJF and Dierking like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am completely depressed and outa gas with this team

The more $ ya throw at them the worse it gets SMH

The owner has to trust someone on how to fix this mess

Is it Mac?? I hope so cause my expectations are drowning

Between the $ wasted and Hack a second rounder Mac better have something pan out

JetsNation06, Red Menace and TNJet like this.
  5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

McCagnan is just as responsible for this mess. Hackenburg is a project with LOW potential and we keep neglecting the OL. Until we get a HC that manages all 3 aspects of our team:O, D, and ST and get a GM that replenishes our O in the first 3 rounds we will always be in this loop of mediocrity.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. richieC

richieC Active Member

As a Jets fan, all i want >>>> Meaningful december games. I can't lower my expectations anymore. :(

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course it was, we had the second easiest schedule in the NFL and no significant injuries for the entire year. That just wasn't realistic. Still we couldn't beat the coach that just got fired from here and only a few of us picked up on the significance of that..especially when the playoffs were on the line. Most of the people on this board actually thought we were as good as the record said we were (hmm..Parcells would have agreed with that I suppose).

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is not news. only people who should be surprisingly disappointed are those that thought fitz was a must sign qb. the rest of us are just disappointed as usual.

JetsVilma28, JetBlue and abyzmul like this.
  9. joykilla

joykilla Member

Not even so upset at our record or that fact that we had a losing streak. We have had a really tough schedule and have had to play some tough games. More upset at the lack of growth, lack of adjustments, lack of gameplan, and lack of leadership.

Who on this team is a leader? Who on the coaching staff do we feel like we have an advantage? I am never the fire the head coach guy but it is god awful when we don't see any edge in any aspect of the game? Yes Fitz is bad, yes we were never good enough to win a playoff game with this roster. But to not have one game so far this year where we come off sharp, disciplined, and focused? Nah no excuse for that.

I believe in Mac, but I do not like the way this team is manged. Tank. Focus completely on O-line this off season. Sign Tony Romo.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

plus 100000

Defense wont win you a Chamionship if you don't have the firepower to get there

like Dallas and Oakland start with the OL

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

DefenseWinsChampionships will be pissed....

NYJetsO12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I am not saying you are wrong but the cowboys have won how many playoff games in 20 years. What 3 playoff games? We have won 7. And they have been drafting up the oline since larry allen. So im not sure we want to model our team after the cowboys. Im just saying believe it or not our jets have out performed the cowboys for the last 20 years. They had their success before the salary cap. And i would have killed to have romo here for the last 10 years.

#12 thankyourevis, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The talent is some-what there. When the talent isn't executing, it falls on coaching AND the players themselves.

Aka, this season is just a mess and a wash at this point.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I agree about the leadership thing, and is something that goes overlooked when looking at what/who is to blame for this bad season. The benching of Mo and Sheldon showed that our best players aren't even attending team meetings. I remember reports that beginning of the season Revis was totally out of shape. Marshall, while clearly cleaned up his act a lot, is still a volatile guy and I don't know how he is seen by other players. The only leader I believe is on this team is David Harris and he has seemed invisible from a personality standpoint this year. We really need to get rid of guys who are putting themselves over the team no matter who that is and bring in vets that are willing to lead some of our younger guys.

Also O-line needs to be completely revamped as I've been saying for the past 5 years or so.

15. DMaynard13

DMaynard13 New Member

Last year the schedule was easy, no major injuries and Fitz had a career year that no one should have expected he would repeat. Certainly not the person who re-signed him. This is a terrible team that has to be rebuilt from the ground up. Horrible drafting can not be made up for with free agents.

They need a new GM and coaching staff. Draft a QB in the first round. Not the second or fourth. And build around him. The defense has some talent, but I think a few guys are out of position and the entire scheme is wrong.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Last season was indeed a mirage. The jets always seem to have a great season after massive regime changes, but we have to see this team for what it is. We are a older team with a lot of aging vets who will likely not be on this team next year. Furthermore, we will see a much younger team next season, and Maccagnan has done a good job retooling the roster slowly, but he too has made some questionable decisions which may or may not doom him in the end.

In the end, the countless years of piss poor drafting by Idzik and Tannenbaum continue to haunt us. We simply don't have the talent or depth to compete with many of the teams in the NFL, and this is compounded by the worst QB in the league, and a 2nd year Head Coach who has regressed in every aspect. The 2017 draft will be crucial because we will need 3-4 immediate contributors, and we will need to get rid of aging vets who's contracts are not indicative of their play.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we were losing with a young QB that showed promise. Right now, we are losing with older players who are overpaid and overvalued. 2017 will be interesting

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Of course they need to build from the trenches.

The last time they did that, they made it deep into the playoffs with a shit QB and slightly above average RB ability. And nobody WRs.

And smoke and mirrors on defense.

FJF and JetBlue like this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Jets most recent success was propelled by drafting two O-Lineman in the first round in one draft. Without that OL we don't sniff two AFCCG's with Sanchez at QB. And we are talking about this year's Cowboys team and why it is where it is with a rookie QB, not the teams that preceded it.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Lets talk about this myth that mac has doen a good job. because right now his scorecard looks a lot like tannys last 2 years here. right down to the trading a 5th for a wr that looked great the first year but the shine is wearing off real fast.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Given 5th round picks don't have a great track record of being effective in the NFL, I don't mind the trade. Marshall looks bad this year, but he's also playing with the worst QB in the league. Macc has added some nice pieces and I like the fact that he has an eye for undrafted free agents, but he has also made some questionable picks. If Woody Johnson chose to get rid of Bowles but allowed Macc to hand pick his own coach I would be ok with that

Freddy Mondo likes this.