Landry Jones

Discussion in 'Draft' started by HardHitta, Nov 24, 2012.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

What about Landry Jones ? He's a four year starter at a big time school and is a gun slinger and seems like a good QB. What do you Draft guru's think about him ?

#1 HardHitta, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not a fan of Jones. He might become a back up QB in the NFL, I doubt he will ever be a successful starter.

He is an inconsistent player, especially against talented teams. Seems to never make the big play when needed. Looks great at times and then looks awful.

Not very mobile and plays out of the shot gun quite often.

3. HardHitta

Fair enough. I'll definitely take your word.

4. HardHitta

Gotta retract something i previously said, seems like his "football IQ" is not so good, at least that's what most college scouts say. I'll take there word.

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If it was me I would take Nassib or Glennon before Jones.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I like Jones. There are definitely things in his game that he needs to get better at and wouldn't want to draft him in rounds 1 or 2. But as a 3rd or 4th round pick he'd be perfect.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Jones is very defensible as a top of the 2nd round pick. I don't think he's a 1st rounder but I think he might well go there to a team desperate for a QB, hopefully not the Jets.

He's big and he has a strong arm. He's played in a pro style offense. He's peaking at the right time just as his college career ends. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Chad Henne but in a better program for a QB to excel in.

The issue that the scouts have with him is his mental toughness. They skate all around the pond on that one without every coming right out and saying it but Jones clearly has left people with the impression that he folds under pressure.

So if a team did take him in a position that would suggest they planned to start him they'd be really wise to make sure that was a 2014 or later proposition. That would give them the opportunity to really get him grounded. Two years on the bench wouldn't hurt.

The guy has made a lot of great throws in his college career and he has led the Sooners to some very interesting wins at this point. He has thrown the ball as much as anybody in the country over the last 4 seasons. He's really a gunslinger. The question is whether or not he's got the shakes.

8. HardHitta

Great post, exactly what I've heard about him from research.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if he's there in the 4th round I would take him. but I think he goes earlier.

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Jones just adds to the list of developmental QBs who all have ability but are not their yet.

If someone could coach him up he would be a BEAST of a QB, but he is not a starting qb at the nfl level

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Picks like that almost always fail.

If the guy was really good there is no way he is hanging out in the 4th round waiting to get taken. So the only way you find a great QB in that situation is if everybody missed something (including you) and you have excellent coaching to go find that value and get it to come out.

If you really needed a QB you went and got one. You didn't wait until the 4th round to take a guy at the game's most valuable position that 32 NFL teams (including you) had passed on at least 3 times.

There are other thing that come into it, like a GM having his job on the line with a 1st or early 2nd round QB but not really being in jeopardy with a later pick, but the thing that is most important is that nobody really thought the guy was that good to begin with or somebody would have snapped him up early.

12. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

New York is a great place for a guy with questions about mental toughness!