Landry Jones in 2nd Round?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Feb 21, 2013.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Just wondering what the thoughts were on taking the undoubtedly gifted but flawed Jones by trading back into 2nd rd? I would do this via the 2013 1st and 3rd plus 2014 conditional from Tampa for trading Revis ..trade the Tampa 2013 3rd plus our 4th. This still leaves us with our high 2nd rd pick to take the choice of olb/ol available.

Having seen some of his peaks and troughs in the admittedly limited college games I have seen , I think he is someone that with the right kind of coaching at pro-level could flourish. He can make all the throws and his arm strength is not an issue plus he has the key ability to extend playswith his mobility ..every criticism I see is more to do with his lack of focus in the key moments than his ability to make throws etc. I wonder if this a case of a kid getting by on natural talents for so long and then taking the easy route in College ball.

With a mentor at QB coach I think if we could get into the X and O of professional QB play he would be a good value pick rather than taking the statuesque Glennon.

Anyway thats my 2c on the Qb situation.....feel free to shred to pieces

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not a fan, he's accurate, but his ability to play big in big games has never been evident. The QBs in this draft I am not a fan of, especially Landry Jones ... I just don't see the intangibles on the field.

rather draft more skill players and get ready to draft a QB in 2014.

3. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Personally, I wouldn't draft Landry Jones in the fifth round. I certainly would mock the new GM if LJ was the Jets selection in any of the first three rounds.

4. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

If you want Landry Jones, he will be available in the third. No need to trade.

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

You are probably right re 3rd round...what draw me to Landy is the fact his skills are there..its more to o with his head...at this point he is probably the most polished qb in the draft from a NFL prototypical QB.

I know people mention the age old intangibles but that is something that I would look past for a QB who can clearly make the throws expected....experience in a PRO situation should bring about th neeeded improvement

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Landry has a big arm but lacks in every area. I think he should be there in the third-fourth.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about that kid Blake Bortles from UCF? If he declares after junior campaign, he should be available by next year's draft. Looked pretty good in terms of mechanics (compact delivery and good enough footwork), pocket presence (knowing where the rush is coming from), very good arm (both down the field and in tight spot) and lastly, decent athleticism to go (decent scrambler). On top of all that, he comes with very good size (6' 4", 220 lbs or so).

Has been pretty accurate passer (career 64% passer), with 31 TD/10 INT. Very good, indeed.

His only caveat is, he never faced top class competition a la Alabama - but that aside, what are your thoughts on that kid?

PS: I am expecting mid round pick for him, if he does declare.

#7 Zach, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Sanchez also has the arm... It's his mind that makes him a bad qb. That's why I don't like Jones.

9. Jonky

Jonky Banned

It's been written many times that Sanchez has the best hands on the team. I say replace him at QB and convert him to WR at 1/3 his current salary.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Landry Jones has all the same questions that Tom Brady had coming out. Slow feet, comes up small in big games, played in a very talented offense with lots of help, etc.

I'd take him in the 6th round in a heart-beat.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Landry Jones doesn't have half the brain Tom Brady has.

12. Br4d

He does however have twice the arm.

The other flaws are pretty similar.

13. NFL

NFL Active Member

Lol, Sanchez does have some really good hands. I showed my friend the video of him.making the crazy one-handed catch.. he couldn't stop telling me that it was fake.. typical Phins fan.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Honestly, what about Barkley? I know he's a USC qb and he had a worrying senior year at USC but why not take a flyer on him in the 2nd or 3rd. From what I've read he has pretty good short and intermediate accuracy and he makes good decisions.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Where did you get that from? Because that's exactly the opposite of what I know Brady got. He came up big in multiple games - some coming from the bench. Most of the report had this remark about Brady, which was "The kid is a gamer." Coming up short at crunch spot is always a no-no for a QB. For the record, that's not what Brady was known for. It was always about everything else that got in his way. (Too skinny, throws like a girl, too tall, etc)

Another fair-weather QB that plays as small as his height dictates him to. (Refer to: Nacho)

Do you want him? Isn't Nacho enough for you? Good riddance.

#15 Zach, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Brady didn't come up small in big games in NCAA

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Twice the arm strength? Damn, Brady to me has a big strong arm, Landry must have a fucking cannon then. The few games I have seen of him there's no denying his gun slinging ability.

18. Br4d

Brady was 14 for 27 for 209 yards and 2 Int's in the 1999 Citrus Bowl. The Wolverines won because Anthony Thomas ran for 139 yards and 3 scores on the day and Ian Gold returned an Int 46 yards for a TD and James Whitley ran another Int back for 26 yards for a TD. Brady was pulled briefly in the game for Drew Henson before Lloyd Carr put him back in.

In the 2000 Orange Bowl Brady threw for 369 yards in a back and forth shootout but the story everybody talked about the next day was David Terrell's 10 catches for 150 yards and 3 TD's. He was the reason the Wolverines beat the Crimson Tide according to most of the news accounts.

Carr again pulled Brady in that game for a series after the Wolverines started the game with 5 straight 3 and outs. The Wolverines finally got a first down on that series on a fake punt on 4th and 5. Brady was back in the next series and Terrell took a short slant 57 yards to the house and the spell was broken.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

^
    That wasn't a concern of Brady at Michigan. Shit, he beat a better Bama team in the Orange Bowl (370 yards & 4 TDs). In fact he stepped up and played well replacing Drew Henson.

Concerns of Brady were his physical ability....average arm, skinny, lack of mobility.

Never was it a concern Brady couldn't step up in big games in College. Once given the opportunity, Brady did the job.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This. I still remember that Orange Bowl game against Bama where Brady led Michigan to the win in OT. He came into Michigan as 7th on their depth chart. Like him or not, the guy has ice in his veins when it comes to being clutch.