Laken Tomlinson to be released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

10 Million in dead money - guy will be back to an All Pro Guard wherever he lands. Our offensive staff is terrible. They don't develop O-Lineman, make in game adjustments or have a clue in general... Joe D - it doesn't matter how much FA money or draft capital you throw at the O-Line!!! Until you address the real problem and you go out and get a COMPETENT OL Coach and OC, its gonna just be more of the same. Large gaping holes because the scheme is terrible, the technique it worse and the coaching is non existent.

#21 Mehl-56, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree its good to get rid of Tomilson. But this early in the offseason there still should be other options.
    If we cut him before June 1st we'll save 8 million and eat 10 million.
    If we wait until after June 1st we'll save 10 million, and eat 8. But we cant clear the cap space until June 1st.

My point is, Tomilson still has a name and in an O-line desperate league he will be quickly signed somewhere else. We could have offered to eat 10 million of his contract in a trade package, say along with Zach, and ideally increase the pick we get. Maybe we offer to eat more than 10 if the negotiation calls for it, but it could be worth it if the pick upgrade is large enough. 4th/5th rounders only cost about a million a year. Word gets out were dumping him and he has no trade value. Its too early in the offseason to close that door and for sure get nothing.

I used to think JD was a good deal maker but its starting to seem like he just got lucky a few times. The deals he's made the last two years have been terrible, and he is not a very shrewd deal maker or team builder. Especially now that his back is against the wall. The only great thing about his tenure was having an all pro safety to trade. And that was like his first month here.

#22 ouchy, Feb 27, 2024
    mezzavo, tomdeb and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. Mehl-56

JD is a middle of the road GM at best - basically a used car salesman.

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You really think teams would be interested in trading for Tomlinson? Idk about that. veterans that underperform their contract are almost always cut

I agree in general though about Joe Douglas

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

OL has value and so does Tomilson.

Not only does Tomilson have a name, he has the in demand ability of availability. He stays healthy which is huge in the NFL. Offering to eat 10 million of his contract in a trade, which we are already going to eat anyways, makes him even more valuable. Maybe not in a straight up trade, but as part of a trade package to increase the value of the pick we get. (I used upgrading the Zach trade as an example. It also has value in a draft trade up, better than giving up picks.) If it doesn't have legs by June 1st, fine, we do what we're doing now. But its way to early in the offseason to know yet. Desperation increases as the months go by.

To use Mehl's used car salesmen analogy. Tomilson is the NFL version of a used car. He is a model a lot of people would still want in some capacity, and instead we're just donating him to charity, while eating his loan and registration fees. Its simply throwing away assets. This announcement turns him into just another expensive signing that we get nothing in return for.

#26 ouchy, Feb 27, 2024
  7. Mehl-56

Ding!

ouchy likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets are now a car lot that decreases the value of the cheaper cars on it to almost zero.

Like they try to sell their cars after Dirty Mike and the boys have a Soup Kitchen in the back seat. Nobody wants a 2011 Laken Tomlinson with a deer vagina in it.

TwoHeadedMonster and ouchy like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So true. Honestly our signings only decrease when they get here. Our former crummy linemen are starting all over the league. The best salesmen have the best rosters. You don't give up on getting value out of a player like Lakin in frigging February.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just once I just wish we could sign someone in free agency who is on the cusp of emerging

We might get killed by the media talking heads "the Jets are giving WHO that much money?!!?!?" but at the end of the day its so much better than essentially paying Laken Tomlinson for what he did with the 49ers, or Allen Lazard for what he did with the Packers or LeVeon Bell for what he did with the Steelers, etc....

---
    I remember having this conversation when Christian Kirk signed that big deal with Jaguars. They were skewed in the media and by certain posters here. But now the Jags simply have a good wide receiver in Kirk. No one cares if he didn't deserve the contract he was given for how he performed with the Cardinals 3 years ago, that's silly

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets release $8.1 million in cap savings in 2024 and have to eat $10.7 million this year. If they had designated him a June 1 cut, they wouldn't have taken as much of a dead money hit, but they wouldn't have had the money available to use in FA. I think they did the right thing. Don't even waste time with him.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

With those numbers, I don't think it was a post-June 1 designation. They wouldn't have the money to use in FA if he had been a post-June 1 cut, and the dead money cap hit wouldn't have been this large, so I'm pretty certain that it's offical now.

13. NCJetsfan

We drafted Tippman to play Center, and that's where they should leave him imo. I saw on another site that the Jets may go after Lloyd Cushenberry to play C and move Tippman to OG. I think that would be a mistake. Cushman only made $1.8 million this past season, but it was speculated that he would get $14 million in FA. No thanks. There are quite a few other centers available in FA if the Jets are committed to moving Tippman to OG, but I think they should leave him at C. There are a ton of FA OGs, and some very good OGs that the Jets could sign for less than what they were paying Tomlinson. I've read that AVT most likely won't be ready to play until at least October, so we really need 2 starting OGs.

14. NCJetsfan

I agree. If I was the GM I would sign at least 3 OL in FA and draft 2.

Borat and tomdeb like this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Interesting that Tomlinson was not a post june 1 cut. Just a thought--Craig, do you think the jets will use their post june 1 cuts on Uzomah and Mosely? Can't think of any reason why the jets would not use 1 of their 2 post june 1 cuts on Tomlinson, unless they are saving them for better candidates.

16. NCJetsfan

I didn't realize that teams only got 2 post June 1 cuts. I think they did it now so they could use the money in FA. They had no intention of keeping him, so imo it was the right move to go ahead and cut him now, even though it will cost more on the cap.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Tomlinson has a name and that's it. He was absolutely terrible for the Jets the last 2 seasons. I would be shocked beyond words if he had any trade value at all. If the Jets had waited they wouldn't have been able to use his money in FA, and they need that money and obviously want to use it. I absolutely think it was the right move.

Borat likes this.
  18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you all cheered GVRs release last year and he went on to have an excellent year

the coaches and the system are the real problem

19. NCJetsfan

You do when you need the cap space to sign FAs. We're only talking about a difference in cap hit of $2 million. Lets' not get carried away.

Also, how do you know that JD didn't work the phones and determine if there was any interest in Tomlinson, and there wasn't, especially at what he was due for the coming season? There are a slew of good FA OGs. Why would someone want to trade for Tomlinson as bad as he has been and at his contract?

#39 NCJetsfan, Feb 27, 2024
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Tomlinson, want to bet he ends up either in the Pro Bowl or just on the outside looking in. This seems to be "par for the course" when it comes to the NY Jets and former players. Especially linemen. It's my guess that he goes to a team, that has competent coaching, and is back to the form that landed him with us and the big contract.

ColoradoContrails likes this.