Laken Tomlinson to be released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2024.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What are the cap implications with this release? For anyone good with cap stuff, I suck at It.

On the move Itself. I'm glad he won't be back but It makes me even more uncertain on what they do about another position along the OL that needs filled. Already a lot of problems there otherwise as Is.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think we save $8 million or so in cap space and Woody gets to pay a fat dead cap hit.

KY Jets Fan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

You could get his production for a lot less money. Glad they're committed to the overhaul. Let's see if JD can get it right.
    Wonder if it'll be with a post June 1st designation.
    I'm sure Uzomah will be next

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Glad JD made this obvious move. Laken sucks and we need to find an upgrade over shitty players. He didn't overthink it.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, Uzomah should most definitely be cut as well. Hopefully they are not renegotiating him.

I am thinking AVT is now cleared to go back to LG, where he spent his rookie year. We then need to find a starting C or RG in free agency, wherever we can get better talent, and Tipp will play the other.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like it will indeed be 8 this year, but the real overall CAP # we are saving is13 mil vs keeping him. He was durable, but sucked, so this is really a no brainer. I mentioned that this move was needed in Huff discussion, and very glad to see JD kept it simple.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We are most likely picking up a LT in free agency and a G/RT with the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We'll see. We definitely need at least one starting FA OT, but there are some quality interior guys available that may not cost a fortune. And we need depth as well. I suspect there will be multiple FA signings and multiple draft picks all over OL.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Good riddance.

At least he was durable in his short time here.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Durable, but what's the point when some practice squad back up is about as good (bad) as you? Being durable helps when you are a decent player. Laken wasn't. Good riddance is right.

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Now we cut CJ and Lazard, don't resign Cobb and we are on our way down the yellow brick road

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hallelujah

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Thank God.

We could’ve gotten similar play value from an undrafted free agent.

NCJetsfan, tomdeb and JetFanInPA like this.
  14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

he was the 9th highest paid guard in the NFL - typical Jets FA signing

James Hasty, REVISion, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Very happy they are releasing him even though it is a year too late. Douglas has done a terrible job w free agent signings except for Reed. A little surprised Tomlinson was not a post June 1 release which would have saved a lot more money for 2024.
    Since each team only gets two of those, I am sure they have one reserved for Uzomah, who certainly challenges Tomlinson as Douglas' worst free agent signing. Maybe they will use the other on JFM, or just use only one.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Probably better play from the free agent. Tomlinson really sucked for two years.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I guarantee you he re
    I agree he sucked. He was a pro bowler before he got here. George Fant mostly sucked here. Morgan Moses was avg, Van Roten sucked, Edoga was useless…. All of them went on to have decent to very good experiences after they left. We keep bringing guys we think are good into the building just to watch them suddenly play like trash. Our problem isn’t the players, it’s coaching.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's so disappointing Saleh couldn't part with Keith Carter. Poor results on the OL, current players and past players he's been the coach for unusually outspoken, players doing better elsewhere. There were a handful of other coaching staff changes so it wasn't like he wouldn't change anything. Should be an easy decision. No clue what the argument to keep him was. I also worry it could impact their ability to recruit free agents.

Problem is he's not going anywhere anytime soon

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yup, a total head scratcher. Literally every measure you can use with Keith Carter has been poor. Young OL players are not developing, vets brought in immediately start playing much worse, vets who leave end up playing much better elsewhere, FA’s have openly spoken against his abilities as a coach, past players have openly spoken about his coaching, current players have low key agreed with others comments. And of course the most obvious in that we’ve been graded as one of the worst OL’s in the league consistently since he’s been here. Literally everything you need to fire a guy and find someone better, yet here we are.