KY's Mock Offseason 3.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 22, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]
    Please feel free to take a look back at 1.0 and 2.0. Can't believe I called Whitehead! (was wayyyy off on the contract though!)

Quick recap all of the re-signings and FA signings below:

Re-signings:
    Braxton Berrios
    Will Parks
    Mike White
    Eddy Pineiro
    Joe Flacco
    Conor McDermott
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Nick Bawden
    Tevin Coleman
    Nathan Shepherd

Free Agency:
    Laken Tomlinson, IOL (SF)
    CJ Uzomah, TE (CIN)
    Jordan Whitehead, S (TB)
    DJ Reed, CB (SEA)
    Tyler Conklin, TE (MIN)
    Jake Martin, EDGE (HOU)

Now for a bit of speculation as I think we're about 95% of the way through our FA moves but I think there will be a few more smaller moves play out before the draft:

Cuts:

Ryan Griffin (3.2M)

Free Agency:
    Tre'Quan Smith, WR (NO)
    Taylor Stallworth, DT (IND)

Draft: (Utilizing TDN's Mock Draft Machine)
    4th overall: Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE, Oregon. Same pick as 2.0, except this time around this pick looks to be fairly likely for us. Top 3 went, Hutchinson-Hamilton-Neal, for those that are curious. I thought about taking a trade back with the Falcons, which seems like a plausible scenario now with the Matt Ryan trade but having the option of taking KT was too much to pass up on.

10th overall: Drake London, WR USC. This one was a very difficult decision for me. Garrett Wilson just went 8th to the Falcons so he was off the board but the Seahawks took Malik Willis as QB1 at 9 which pushed Sauce Gardner to 10th. Trying to decide between London and Gardner was like trying to decide between pizza and tacos....both are great but it just depends on what you want the most. For me, it had to be WR with how we've handled the offseason. It seems like JD wants to draft a young WR that can grow with Zach over the next few years.

35th overall: Jaquan Brisker S, Penn State. Even with the addition of Whitehead and re-signing Joyner, I think our S group needs some more bodies. Jaquan Brisker is arguably the best S prospect in this class after Kyle Hamilton. He's played in a variety of roles on the Nittany Lions D which has to be appealing to JD and Saleh who value versatility.

38th overall: DeMarvin Leal IDL, Texas A&M. A former 1st round lock, Leal has seen his stock dip quite a bit in the lead-up to the 2022 draft but don't let that fool you, Leal would be a fantastic fit in our 4-3. He will need to bulk up some and get closer to that 300lbs range (weighed in at 283 at the combine) to unlock his full potential IMO but even with where he's at, he'd contribute immediately and would give Saleh the DL rotation he's coveted since he took the job.

69th overall: Dylan Parham IOL, Memphis. A former LB/TE in HS, Parham is an excellent athlete who has since made the transition to IOL and best projects as a C in the NFL. Similar to Leal, he will need to bulk up some and learn to play at that new weight to fully reach his potential but he would be a great player to take here and learn behind McGovern for a year before finally taking over the position in 2023.

111th overall: Cam Taylor-Britt CB, Nebraska. At 6'0" 205lbs, Taylor-Britt has the necessary size to be a developmental outside corner in Saleh's system. He seems to be adequate in both man and zone and has decent ball skills (6 INTS at Nebraska) and is also a very good tackler. Seems like the perfect fit for Saleh.

117th overall: Jelani Woods TE, Virginia. A guy who has seen is stock rise quite a bit as of late, Woods is very much a developmental prospect at TE, but who better to take a mid-late round flyer on than a guy who stands at 6'7" 253lbs with elite athleticism (as evidenced by his eye-popping 9.97 RAS score)? While TE might not be quite as much of a need with Uzomah and Conklin on board, those guys are not long-term solutions so JD drafts Woods with the understanding that he'll serve as TE3 as a rookie but look to start eating into someone's reps as early as next year.

146th overall: Max Mitchell, OT Louisiana. JD takes a shot on an athletic OT with good lateral movement and agility. He'll need to add some upper body strength to compete at the next level but the tools are there.

163rd overall: Romeo Doubs WR, Nevada. Doubs put on a show at the Senior Bowl so I'm not 100% sure he'll make it this far but if so, he's a great addition to the WR room.

Offense:

QB:
    -2 Zach Wilson
    -19 Joe Flacco
    -5 Mike White

RB:
    -32 Michael Carter
    -23 Tevin Coleman
    -25 Ty Johnson
    -35 Austin Walter
    -22 La'Mical Perine

FB:
    -48 Nick Bawden

TE:
    -## CJ Uzomah (87)
    -## Tyler Conklin (83)

-## Jelani Woods (0)
    -85 Trevon Wesco
    -48 Kenny Yeboah
    -## Lawrence Cager
    -## Brandon Dillon

WR:

-8 Elijah Moore
    -84 Corey Davis
    -## Drake London (15)
    -10 Braxton Berrios
    -## Tre'Quan Smith (10)
    -## Romeo Doubs (7)
    -16 Jeff Smith
    -11 Denzel Mims
    -3 Tarik Black
    -14 DJ Montgomery
    -## Rodney Adams

LT:
    -76 George Fant
    -69 Conor McDermott
    -## Max Mitchell (74)
    -## Parker Ferguson
    -## Grant Hermanns

LG:

-75 Alijah Vera-Tucker
    -67 Dan Feeney
    -## Dru Samia

C:
    -60 Connor McGovern
    -## Dylan Parham (56)
    -66 Ross Pierschbacher

RG:
    -## Laken Tomlinson (75)
    -62 Greg Van Roten

RT:
    -77 Mekhi Becton
    -70 Chuma Edoga
    -## Greg Senat
    -## Isaiah Williams

Offense: 43 total

Defense:

DE:

-58 Carl Lawson
    -## Kayvon Thibodeaux (5)
    -47 Bryce Huff
    -## Jacob Martin (54)
    -51 Tim Ward
    -55 Hamilcar Rashed Jr.
    -## Bradlee Anae (51)
    -92 Jabari Zuniga

DT:
    -95 Quinnen Williams
    -91 John Franklin-Myers
    -## DeMarvin Leal (8)
    -98 Sheldon Rankins
    -97 Nathan Shepherd
    -96 Jonathan Marshall
    -## Taylor Stallworth (95)
    -79 Tanzel Smart

LB:
    -57 CJ Mosley
    -56 Quincy Williams
    -45 Hamsah Nasirildeen
    -44 Jamien Sherwood
    -43 Del'Shawn Phillips

CB:
    -## DJ Reed (2)
    -37 Bryce Hall
    -26 Brandin Echols
    -30 Michael Carter II
    -## Cam Taylor-Britt (5)
    -27 Isaiah Dunn
    -34 Justin Hardee
    -40 Javelin Guidry
    -29 Rachad Wildgoose
    -33 Zane Lewis

S:
    -## Jordan Whitehead (33)
    -## Jaquan Brisker (1)
    -29 Lamarcus Joyner
    -21 Ashtyn Davis
    -33 Elijah Riley
    -41 Jason Pinnock
    -39 Will Parks

Defense: 38 total

K:
    -15 Eddy Piniero
    -7 Matt Ammendola

P:
    -7 Braden Mann

LS:
    -42 Thomas Hennessy

ST: 4 total

Roster Total: 85

Seems very heavy on the DL but based off of everything Saleh has said, I think this is what he wants. With this group, you'll always have a group of 4 guys that can get after the QB.

Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, and Drake London is a solid, young trio for Zach to work with. I added Tre'Quan Smith because he's young and will be relatively cheap IMO and could add some solid depth.

A position I wish I'd addressed is LB but the board never fell my way and it seems like the Jets are content with their LB group so we'll see.

Overall, I think this is a team that can hover around .500 this season and maybe take a bigger step forward if Zach can take that sophomore leap that we're all hoping for.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I tend to say don’t overthink this. Taking Thibs is the best for the Jets. If you want guys who are violent and are “all gas no brake” then you take this kid who flies off the EDGE like a bat out of hell.

Ima Burks fan mostly because he plays and did similar things to what Deebo does in this offense. Plus I like the physicality and speed he plays at. London is a big physical WR too, just a bit worried about his playing speed but his production is there. I’m not too sold but I know a big bodied WR is needed.

Brisker, I’m all in on. Hamilton is a stud mostly because of him being a unicorn with his overall size and ability but Brisker is a monster who can help in run support and can play the deep middle and cause turnovers. Especially when the defense asks a ton out of the back 7, you really can’t ask more out of a safety then what Brisker brings. Him and Whitehead can be a great combo.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. don't overthink it, don't analyze every step he makes or every time he scratches his balls at the combine or pro day. Don't fall in love, or fall in hate, with a player's personality, that's how you end up taking a player you shouldn't.

Kayvon Thibodeaux has been a consensus top pick for over a calendar year because he is an awesome pass rusher. It can be that simple. We need a pass rusher and he is awesome at it

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With a few exceptions, I like your draft a lot. I don't know the two additional FAs you signed so can't comment on them.

I love the KT, Brisker, Parham, Woods, Mitchell, and Doubs picks. I don't like the London, Leal or Taylor-Britt picks, and think it a big mistake that you didn't take a RB. I'm certain that the Jets plan on running the ball a lot more this season. MC couldn't stay healthy last season, and Coleman can never stay healthy. Johnson can't be trusted as a receiver or blocker and needs to be replaced. Perine isn't a scheme fit, and Walter is a PS level player.

I don't think we need to draft a CB, but if we do, I think it should be because he's the clear BPA at an earlier point in the draft, or he's a ballhawk and return man and needs some work refining his skills as a CB; otherwise, I don't see any point in taking another lower round DB like last year. Swap out the Taylor-Britt pick for a RB, and it looks a lot better.

I love the KT pick at #4, but do not like London at all. If I were the GM and thought that Christian Watson would last until pick #35, I'd pass on both London and Wilson and wait and take Watson. At #10, I'd look to trade down, but if not, I'd take Gardner or one of Dean/Lloyd.

I like Brisker, but think Dax Hill or Lewis Cine are better

I don't like Leal at all. IMO he's way too light to be a NT, and I don't trust Alabama players.

If I haven't already taken a LB, then I'm taking one at #69 (preferably Chad Muma).

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I like this a lot but I would have taken Johnson at 4. I don’t know for sure if he was available in the sim but usually at 4 he is.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Alabama players are killing it in this league on offense and defense but you dont trust them lol

barfolomew and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I like Jermaine Johnson, but Joe Blewitt and Michael Nania do not.

Nania in a response to someone had this to say about Jermaine Johnson: "I think Johnson is a good fit and I like his run defense + pass-rush upside but I think there’s a low pass-rush floor. Joe Blewett has a great film review on him that highlights his weaknesses as a pass-rusher, it will be out at some point soon. Analytically, Johnson’s on-film weaknesses as a pass-rusher are supported by his very low pass-rush win rate relative to his draft peers. It’s not bad for a college player, but other guys in this draft – Hutch, KT, Karlaftis, Ojabo – are basically the best rushers in the entire country, while he ranks dozens upon dozens of spots below them."

boozer32 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

most sims have him in the mid teens to mid 20s so he's always there at 4 and 10.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Looks good. Need a linebacker somewhere in there though.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ty Montgomery is gone. I don't think Tibs will make it to #4 and I'm cool with that as he has a lot of question marks. Travon Walker is moving up and he is a little bigger than Tibs. They need to draft an RB somewhere in this draft to keep from wearing down Carter.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Good effort! I like everything except London at 10. I personally feel he’s a land mine. I have a 3rd round grade on him. He’s slow, has a lot of easy drops and get shaken up a lot on the field. I don’t see anything special besides being able to get jump balls and back shoulder catches. He’s a poor man’s version of Corey Davis.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Do I have Ty on there somewhere? I don't think I do but if you see him, let me know where.

This draft is weird as once you get past Hutchinson, there's not really a consensus on the rest of the top 5. Most people agree on the names in the top 5 but not the order so I think Thibodeaux sliding to 4 is not out of the realm of possibility.

boozer32 and REVISion like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If our first three picks end up being KT, London and Brisker then we should throw a party. LB is still hurting and we’re putting a lot of faith jn a healthy Lawson plus a rookie on the DL but all in all, it would be hard to be anything but happy with this result.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

just noting we have not had luck with USC players. Other than AVT, I cannot think of a USC drafted player, who played up to expectations

barfolomew, Rockinz and Jojo like this.
  15. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Not a fan of USC WR or QB... They seem to peak in college.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and Rockinz like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Michael Pittman
    JuJu
    Amon-Ra St. Brown
    Bob Woods

I mean, sign me up for any of those guys (except JuJu but that has nothing to do with his talent). They have produced NFL caliber WRs for years now.

REVISion likes this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i always wondered if it's the cold, windy weather. Just saying because of Drake London

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

overall good job here addressing needs. I will say a few things though
    love KT at 4 and it's surely possible
    not a fan of a WR at 10 but it does seem the way we are going and we seem to favor london so while not a fan I do agree it's very likely
    at 35 i did a full 2 rounder for all teams and wound up taking daxton hill myself. I gave brisker to the commanders a few picks later but either one would be fine to pair with whitehead
    at 38 not a big fan of the leak pick. if wyatt falls i'd take him (he did in my version) and if not travis jones seems like a better fit for what we need at DT
    at 69 parham is interesting. I know the jets have interest in O-line depth but we don't need a starter. we are linked to cole strange too so he's possible there as well. not many teams need a RB so value will be high there, RB is a possiblity
    for the rest of the draft I doubt doubs falls that far. woods is intriguing for sure at 146 i like obinna eze for a developmental OT. I do think we take one this year late. edoga and mcdermott may both be gone next year.
    biggest complaint for me is the lack of a RB and LBer. I think we draft one of each with later picks. I could also see a 2nd WR at some point not counting doubs becuase he is gone way before 163

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not getting Garrett Wilson at 10 is killer.

Hoping Atlanta hops on the QB train or opts to take Kyle Hamilton if he slides to them.

20. NCJetsfan

I think we should definitely be happy with KT and Brisker, but probably much less so with London. I could be wrong, but think he's going to be meh in the NFL, if not a bust. I truly hope that we don't take him. As much as I think we need a big WR, I'd rather have Wilson than London. Our 2nd WR can be a bigger one: Watson, Pickens, Doubs or Alec Pierce.

Mogriffjr likes this.